Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

blades slow to engage on ride on

• 18-11-2013 9:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭

have a castlegarden 36inch ride on about 4 years old. the belts were changed at the start of the year but the blades can be very slow to engage when after working for a bit. when I move the handle to engage it could take up to a minute for them to engage. belt doesn't slip once it gets going.

I wonder is it a pulley is at fault?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Theprogardener

Contact Irish Farm & Garden, they are main agent for castle garden # 018463922

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

Could be a brake on a pulley. Maybe cable out of adjustment or stretched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Try fully charging the battery before you cut the grass.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

Squiggle wrote: »

well I cant see how this is going to do anygood. anyway I will get a plan for this now and just send it up to the dealer I bought it from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Sounds like the belt could do with some adjusting, they do stretch quite a bit over time.

When you engage the belt is it a mechanical or eletrical engagement?

What I mean is, could you engage the belt with the machine not running to give it a squeeze?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Squiggle

f140 wrote: »
    well I cant see how this is going to do anygood. anyway I will get a plan for this now and just send it up to the dealer I bought it from.

Electric clutches use lots of power when engaging the blades which is a drain on the battery. You mentioned in your OP "the blades can be very slow to engage when after working for a bit" . If the problem becomes worse the more you work ie the more you disengage/ re-engage the blades it might be that the battery is becoming drained, has less power and hence the blades are slow to kick in when you attempt to engage them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

Electric clutches use lots of power when engaging the blades which is a drain on the battery. You mentioned in your OP "the blades can be very slow to engage when after working for a bit" . If the problem becomes worse the more you work ie the more you disengage/ re-engage the blades it might be that the battery is becoming drained, has less power and hence the blades are slow to kick in when you attempt to engage them.

its a lever that engages the blades not one of those pull/push switches.
    in any case it got a new battery at the start of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Patzyt

First thing you need to do is make sure all linkages and moving parts are lubricated. you will have to remove the plastic covers on the deck to do this.
    if this doesn't work to the inside of the rhs back wheel there is a cable with a spring that connects to a pulley on the deck that tightens the belt this can be adjusted, but do not over tighten as it will break with to much preasure.
    Also sometimes the plastic cover on the deck can prevent this pulley from fully engaging.
    If this does not work there is a flat metal bar that goes from the underside of this pulley that releases the break this can wear away over time and also prevent the belt from fully engaging.
    Battery has nothing to do with the belt.
    you may have to replace the metal rod,cable with spring Or the belt
    All these parts can be found in most lawnmower repair shops or from Doyles in Kilkenny who are main agents for Castlegarden.
    Hopes this makes sense.

Advertisement