Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double charged for bill - long wait for refund

Options
  • 18-11-2013 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm posting this on behalf of a family member who doesn't have access to boards.ie.

eircom erroneously double charged her for her bi-monthly bill (due to a technical error on their part).  The double charge was for more than she had in her bank account, but the money came out anyway, leaving her overdrawn, which she has never been before.  It also cost her €15 in bank fees.  

She had gone to take out money from an ATM and was told that she had insufficient funds available, which was fairly distressing.  She was due to be paid in a few days and had budgeted accordingly, but this left her with nothing (this is somebody who has worked extremely hard all her life, but due to personal circumstances, has her back to the wall at the moment).

She rang eircom to explain what had happened and, while the mistake was admitted, she was told that she could expect a cheque within ten days (not sure if ten normal days or ten working days).  Sure then she has to lodge the cheque and wait for it to clear.  We're talking up to three weeks in total here.  Regarding the €15 bank fees, she was told that it would be credited onto her account.  

She's quite upset by this, and I'm absolutely fuming.  For one, she was going into the pharmacy to collect medication before she found out her bank account was empty.  That's due to an error - and errors happen - but it is not a nice situation to be in.

For two - she asked the person in eircom why did she have to wait so long for the cheque (ten days???) and was told it was standard procedure.  She asked to speak to somebody else, and was told there she could, but she would be told the same thing.  Eh - why can eircom not send her the refund by bank transfer??

For three - the bank fees are also eircom's fault.  Why can they not also transfer the extra €15 to this person's bank.  €15 isn't a lot to some people, but it is a hell of a lot to others who are on a very strict budget.  This isn't nice, and if you only had an idea of the distress it has caused to this person.  

I really would appreciate if somebody could have a look at this.  I know you can't discuss it with me, but if you send me a PM, I can send on this person's contact details.  I would appreciate an update in this thread too, 'cause this is seriously upsetting. 

Thanks

Advertisement