Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Cornamona

Options
  • 18-11-2013 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi Folks,

Just looking for a few tips. My family (inc two children ages 9 & 3) & I are moving to Cornamona from the UK in January. We're looking at schools for our children and I know the area is Gaelic speaking, which worried me a little for the schools for our children. As our 9 year old is part way through his primary education, I was wondering how much Gaelic the schools use? Will he be better using a school outside the area, such as Cross maybe?

Also, our youngest turns 4 on 10th September, so before she starts primary school we would be looking at a nursery or childcare provider (ideally someone who could accommodate school collections/drop off's too). Any recommendations?

Any other tips anyone has to offer would be huggggely appreciated!

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Don't know about preschool stuff for your youngest - there childcare in the Neale i know, dunno about drop off or collections

I wouldn't worry about the primary school being a gealscoil, they be very accomodating - and be best for your children to go school in their locality imo

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭WildWater

I concur with wprathead it is best for children to go to school locally as it facilitates better integration into the local community. Not just for them but for you also.

WRT Gaelic
    The first paragraph of their recent WSE (Whole School Evaluation) available here states:

"School Mhuire, Corr na Móna, Co.na Gaillimhe is a co-educational primary school. The school is located in a Gaeltacht area and the school makes a strong effort to promote Irish."

This would suggest that is not a gaelscoil (all teaching through Irish). In other words it is a normal National School with instruction taking place primarily through English. (But you should confirm this with the principal.)

Also your youngest and possibly even your eldest (check exemption with the Dept of Ed) will have to do Irish. So if the school has a positive approach, all the better.

WRT Childcare
    In a community of that size it is unlikely that there will be any professional childcare facility. The norm for areas like that is private childminding. Many private childminders will do school runs, homework etc.

Overall
    With an enrolment of 64 pupils and what looks like a pleasant building and grounds http://goo.gl/maps/sMMRL it could be a great place to go to school.*

*I should add, I don't actually know anything about the school itself and have only read the 1st paragraph of WSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 youtoome

I lived in the area but moved away a few years ago (still have family there). It is difficult learning thro' irish (I did it) and in Cornamona NS it was the case that you learnt everything thro' irish. Check with the principal. The advantages is, that as it stands now you have to do irish in the leaving cert and your children will be thought by a fluent Irish speaker and also your children will have friends in the locality which in turn will help you make friends. Bear in mind that if parents don't speak any Irish there are problems when it comes to helping with homework. If you decide against an Irish school you can choose between Clonbur and Maam (Cloughbrack is also an Irish school). The Principal should be able to help with your concerns. As the Principal is also from the local area they might be able to help with suggestions for child care, there was a pre school in Clonbur but it was from 9.30 to 12 approx but not sure if it is still there or not.

PM me if you need any more info and I will see if I can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 VixRose

fleege wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Just looking for a few tips. My family (inc two children ages 9 & 3) & I are moving to Cornamona from the UK in January. We're looking at schools for our children and I know the area is Gaelic speaking, which worried me a little for the schools for our children. As our 9 year old is part way through his primary education, I was wondering how much Gaelic the schools use? Will he be better using a school outside the area, such as Cross maybe?

Also, our youngest turns 4 on 10th September, so before she starts primary school we would be looking at a nursery or childcare provider (ideally someone who could accommodate school collections/drop off's too). Any recommendations?

Any other tips anyone has to offer would be huggggely appreciated!

Many thanks

Hi, I know this was 2 years ago, but just wondering if you found the pre school in clonbur to he open? ? I am now trying to find out myself as I live in clonbur and have a 2 year old (3 in December)
    Thanks,!

Advertisement