Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange cooker switch incident

Options
  • 18-11-2013 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭

One of my housemates noticed the cooker switch was roasting hot today. Oven was on full whack and two hobs going. The power light on the hob started to flicker. So I pulled off the switch just now and the two neutrals were loose and mildly burnt. One of the lugs that should have been holding one of the neutrals in fell onto the counter as I was removing the switch.

So which came first the chicken or the egg? Any one come across this before. Was this a case of a dodgy sparky or tiler maybe leaving them undone. Surely the lug wouldn't fully unscrew itself :confused:. All other connection were sound just the two neutrals left completely open.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Interslice wrote: »
    One of my housemates noticed the cooker switch was roasting hot today. Oven was on full whack and two hobs going. The power light on the hob started to flicker. So I pulled off the switch just now and the two neutrals were loose and mildly burnt. One of the lugs that should have been holding one of the neutrals in fell onto the counter as I was removing the switch.

So which came first the chicken or the egg? Any one come across this before. Was this a case of a dodgy sparky or tiler maybe leaving them undone. Surely the lug wouldn't fully unscrew itself :confused:. All other connection were sound just the two neutrals left completely open.

I came across this once before, but the root cause that time was incorrect wiring of the switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

I came across this once before, but the root cause that time was incorrect wiring of the switch.

Melted switch you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Terminals loose by the sound of it.

The reason it was discovered was the switch itself stopped working properly, and when removed it was clear to see it was wired incorrectly, and the switch had begun to melt at the plastic at the rear and the cables to it were after heating up.

In your case it could be faulty wiring / terminals loose.

The reason it was discovered was the switch itself stopped working properly, and when removed it was clear to see it was wired incorrectly, and the switch had begun to melt at the plastic at the rear and the cables to it were after heating up

Yes loose connection tend to overheat, oxidise, and then stop conducting properly, and start arcing sometimes. Once overheating starts anyway, the switches don't last long.

• Advertisement

Bruthal wrote: »
    Yes loose connection tend to overheat, oxidise, and then stop conducting properly, and start arcing sometimes. Once overheating starts anyway, the switches don't last long.

All of this, caught it before the arcing I think.

Cheers lads. Thought this was the reason just a bit baffled that someone would do this. I shouldn't be too surprised though really some of the crap you see.

Interslice wrote: »
    All of this, caught it before the arcing I think.

Cheers lads. Thought this was the reason just a bit baffled that someone would do this. I shouldn't be too surprised though really some of the crap you see.

You would be surprised at the amount of DIYers that make a balls of simple things like a switch, or even double checking terminal connections are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

The reason it was discovered was the switch itself stopped working properly, and when removed it was clear to see it was wired incorrectly, and the switch had begun to melt at the plastic at the rear and the cables to it were after heating up.

In your case it could be faulty wiring / terminals loose.

faulty wiring?

faulty wiring?
    Wrong term I suppose, but basically the live neutral, on both the load and supply side were wired to incorrect terminals in the switch and the switch terminals weren't tight enough

loose wires,cheap switches
    can't think of any incorrect wiring scenario that might cause it

• Advertisement

Yea loose terminals and/or cheap switches are the causes.

Terminals do loosen slightly after first terminating. So they need to be good and tight at the start, without overdoing it.

Quite a few seem to barely tighten them.

You would be surprised at the amount of DIYers that make a balls of simple things like a switch, or even double checking terminal connections are right.

Yea it looks simple, but the diy'r rarely if ever does it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

seen this a few times loose connection is the problem will eventually burn out the switch and damage the wiring because of the arcing

Arc detecting breakers next maybe. Detect random brief current interruptions or transients, and trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Danny Mulcahy

Seen it more often then I should.
    In theory a loose connection is a ticking time bomb

i tighten all connections well

i don't recall being called called back to a burnt shower or cooker switch i fitted myself

although i've seen lots of them

The worst i seen was a neighbours switch that had about a foot of cable mashed into the box and alot of exposed wires at the terminals. They said it had never been touched since the house was bought new. It was really badly melted. Must be decent flame retardant in the switch and wires for it not to have gone up.

i tighten all connections well

i don't recall being called called back to a burnt shower or cooker switch i fitted myself

although i've seen lots of them

Yea I think its a case of connections being barely tightened in most cases. Connections loosen slightly, after they are first made, so they need to be properly tightened at the start.

ya,i wondered is ..

shallow boxes,switching on-load and cheap switches a major factor in this at all?

ya,i wondered is ..

shallow boxes,switching on-load and cheap switches a major factor in this at all?

With cooker and shower switches, id say they are probably never really switched on load. Like yourself, I cant remember ever replacing a burnt one I did myself.

Maybe they just wouldnt call me back:D

• Advertisement

A shallow box would cause movement when first screwing the switch to the wall so may start the loosening process but as said above rule number one is make sure it is fully tightened from the start.

A common issue with any socket and switch is when the outlet itself loosens and people don't tighten them back up.
    Every time a plug or switch is switched you will be moving the cables behind.
    This will cause the connections to loosen over time or just possibly snap

Every time a plug or switch is switched you will be moving the cables behind.
    This will cause the connections to loosen over time or just possibly snap

I was going to post a bit on that in last post there, and thought someone else might. It possibly does happen alright, but id say its minimal if connections are made properly in the first place.

Leave shower and cooker isolators on, and they will last longer.

but id say its minimal if connections are made properly in the first place.

Yes that's it..Follow rule number one and all should be good for years

Leave shower and cooker isolators on, and they will last longer.

I personally always isolate the shower after use.
    I used to leave to cook switch on till the little ones realized there was a lovely line on nice knobs to turn on the cooker!!!!:rolleyes:

Many seem to. I leave the isolator on myself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

I used to leave to cook switch on till the little ones realized there was a lovely line on nice knobs to turn on the cooker!!!!:rolleyes:

In your case it is better to switch off the cooker, can't see any real reason to turn off the shower though.

Off Topic.. I was in a factory several years ago that had a disused kitchen with an electric hob. One of the rings had been left turned on, but with the main switch off. A cardboard box was subsequently left on top of the cooker hob as the room was just being used for storage.

All ok until another box was pushed onto the counter top, of just the right proportions, turning on the switch. A short while later the smoke alarms were triggered!

It took at least three full fire extinguishers to put the fire out!

can't see any real reason to turn off the shower though.

Yes no harm in leaving it on once the pipe work is bonded and the shower is RCD protected.

more habit now more than anything else!!

Sounds like a close shave in the work place.
    It could have got nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Seen it more often then I should.
    In theory a loose connection is a ticking time bomb

Can over tightening a screw cause any danger electrical wise (apart from the obvious ringing of the thread etc) could it cause burning or welding of the screw into the copper and what are the effects of that.

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Can over tightening a screw cause any danger electrical wise (apart from the obvious ringing of the thread etc) could it cause burning or welding of the screw into the copper and what are the effects of that.
    If the thread is wrung it will not tighten fully so is a loose connection.
    Worth replacing to be on the save side.

• Advertisement

Yes no harm in leaving it on once the pipe work is bonded and the shower is RCD protected.

more habit now more than anything else!!

Sounds like a close shave in the work place.
    It could have got nasty.

Pipework being bonded wouldn't really come into it. That's really just for keeping all metal at equal potential in the event of failed neutral outside house, type events.

RCD is for protection of someone in the shower, during which time the switch is on anyway, so leaving it on while not in use, the RCD won't be doing much.

I suppese the RCD might help isolate it should a fault develop in the unused shower alright, while the isolator is on.

The problem area of leaving shower isolator on might be with priority units, person goes to use shower, won't come on, and they forget to turn it off before leaving.

A simple relay wired like a DOL starter with start and stop buttons solves that though. They should be part of a shower setup from manufacturers. Simple to do, and effective.

Advertisement