Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you missing a chicken?

Options
  • 18-11-2013 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi All,
    While washing dishes this afternoon this chicken flutters onto the windowsill from out of nowhere. By nightfall he (I think it's a he, don't know how to check) is still there. He'd freeze (could be -1 tonight) or a cat would kill him so I've brought him in, put him in a box with a blanket.
    So, are you missing one of your chickens or does anyone know anyone who keeps chickens who could take him? But I'd much prefer the owner to have him back. Please don't reply to this if all you're looking for is a free meal!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Sorry I'm no help, but this made my day!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Op you're a legend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Where in Dublin 15 are you OP? Might help in locating the chickens owner!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

Chicken tonight! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭razzler

January wrote: »
    Where in Dublin 15 are you OP? Might help in locating the chickens owner!

I usually avoid mentioning personal information but for the sake of the chicken I'll give it up. It's Castlecurragh in Mulhuddart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Don't forget to feed the poor thing OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭vermin99

Put the chicken to sleep ,pick him up put his head under his wing ,rock for a few minutes and they'll conk out for about 2 minutes before wakeing up ,After years with animals ya learn tricks ;)

I gave it chopped up peanuts raw. Figured if pigeons love them then they're ok for chickens but it wasn't interested. Tried breadcrumbs and it seemed to like them. I's drinking water from a little tub too so it should be ok 'till I find it's owner or figure out what else to do with it. But it's not on the menu, too small anyway, I don't think it's fully grown.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Egg in the morning for breakfast (if it's a Hen !)?

Fair play OP, hope owner comes on here

vermin99 wrote: »
    Put the chicken to sleep ,pick him up put his head under his wing ,rock for a few minutes and they'll conk out for about 2 minutes before wakeing up ,After years with animals ya learn tricks ;)

Thanks for the tip Vermin99 but I wouldn't be bothered doing that, I just want to pass it on as quickly as possible (although I might give it a go just to see if it works). But I'd love to be one of your chickens!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

A few years ago a chicken stayed in my porch for a few days. Someone contacted DSPCA who took it away - I think that the owner had contacted them looking for it.

A month or two back a homing pidgeon hung around my back garden for about 5 days.

If I have no luck in a few days I'll call DSPCA. I'm sure he'll be ok in the box 'till then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I gave my love a chicken it had no bone, mmmh chicken

Apparently there's a guy living behind the apartments (not sure which apartments whether it's the Vale or Heath and whether he could be in Ladyswell or not but I put a shout out on my FB page) with a big shed and he keeps chickens, could be one of his?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Egg for breakfast?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

Anyone else like the fact this thread is next to the Nando's one? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Defo deja vu here!?

There was another thread made I'd say about a year ago asking "Did someone lose a cock" or something similar. Pretty sure it was Irishbird who started the thread. :pac:

There was a cock on the loose!

Larianne wrote: »
    Defo deja vu here!?

There was another thread made I'd say about a year ago asking "Did someone lose a cock" or something similar. Pretty sure it was Irishbird who started the thread. :pac:

It was in the Dublin City forum last year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

Let me know if you can't find a home for her. I've a big coup and a few girls that'd love the extra company.

Apparently there's a guy living behind the apartments (not sure which apartments whether it's the Vale or Heath and whether he could be in Ladyswell or not but I put a shout out on my FB page) with a big shed and he keeps chickens, could be one of his?
    that would be great. If the owner can't be found I could donate it to this guy, at least it would be homed. But there's lots of apartments so I may have to go door to door and just ask.

• Advertisement

I'll be over at the National School tomorrow and see if I can suss out where they were talking about.

Larianne wrote: »
    Defo deja vu here!?

I've just read that thread. Today I was told by a friend seeing the picture that the one I have is a young cock (but she's not an expert). Now I'm thinking that maybe it was being raised for cockfighting. I hope not, he's so friendly and tame.

I'll be over at the National School tomorrow and see if I can suss out where they were talking about.
    Thanks January, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

jeepers101 wrote: »
    Let me know if you can't find a home for her. I've a big coup and a few girls that'd love the extra company.
    razzler wrote: »
    I've just read that thread. Today I was told by a friend seeing the picture that the one I have is a young cock (but she's not an expert). Now I'm thinking that maybe it was being raised for cockfighting. I hope not, he's so friendly and tame.

I bet that ends jeepers interest in re-homing ;)

After a week of asking around to no avail I called the DSPCA and they collected her (named Chuck) this morning, a female bantam hen. The guy said they'll put her with their other chickens so I'm sure she'll be happy.
    But last Thursday two residents told me there is a house at the end of a row which keeps chickens. I went there with Chuck and they said no, they don't keep chickens, never did. Anyway, the DSPCA guy this morning, out of the blue pointed in the direction of the house and asked if I had tried the house at the end. So they must keep chickens after all and probably denied it thinking I was with some kind of authority, like health or some such. Well, they've lost their chicken and she'll be happier in her new place, probably better conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

razzler wrote: »
    So, are you missing one of your chickens or does anyone know anyone who keeps chickens who could take him? But I'd much prefer the owner to have him back. Please don't reply to this if all you're looking for is a free meal!

thanks for the chuckle :D

Advertisement