Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smartzone Actuators

• 18-11-2013 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭

Has anybody used these before?

http://www.guardianstore.eu/heating/heating-valves/zone-valves/smartzone-pro-3-4-inch-2p-zone-valve-comp.html

In comparison to a standard MV, they look very neat, I think they would not suffer from overheat issues as the standard MV's do & might be a viable alternative.

The only issues I see are threefold:
    1. If they are the same actuators as UFH actuators, they are very slow to fully open & therefore the boiler would have a delayed start from the timeclock demand to the burner firing.
    2. How restrictive would the inner valve be for flow rates?
    3. If they are restrictive, how will they behave on sludged systems over longer periods?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

I've used the 1/2" to created a mulit zone rad circuit off a manifold for a customer a few years back, stopped since plusar pulled the plug. I've been using heatmizers controllers atm

As an alternative to mv, I would be concerned with flow rate as the valve comprises a plunge and seat valve as opposed to full bore ball type valve in most mv.
    Give them a call see if they have a sample, I know I've two 3/4 i. The shed with no acturator (samples) I've never felt the need to fit for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

the opening closing time is approx with 4mm travel and switching at 2mm travel. So its likely the valve would be at least partially open before the switch is made.
    I would also be concerned about the flow the valve can handle and would wonder if the valve could be prone to sticking closed similar to the way some trv valves do.
    I can see applications for it but personally I dont imagine it as a true replacement for an MV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Yes that all makes sense. Would most likely be best used when zoning a system & find a rad teed from the primaries so it can be wired to the main zone stat.

Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Id say there too resistive. You probably end up with same as 1/2" flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Guardiantrade

It is interesting getting all your comments and thank you.

The good news is that the Smartzone is a direct replacement for an "standard" motorised valve.

Key concern seems to be the flow rate through the valves. Be assured that each Smartzone valve when compared to a similar standard MV has flow rate characteristics that exceed in each case.

Switching: The Smartzone actuators are thermally activated and in the case of auxiliary switching use a micro switch on activation which is almost immediate.
    Key advantages in using Thermal Actuator tech are as follows:
    Low cost of ownership: Good for over 70,000 cycles and tested to 100,000 cycles or over 10 years service life. Low failures and almost zero service costs.

Uses 97% less electricity.
    Soft close so low system noise and no valve tap/hammer
    Can be installed at any angle
    Actuators are IP67 rated.
    Compact footprint
    Simple to service

And very good price. We sell a lot of valves in the UK and Ireland.
    New control packs on the way shortly.

If you need further information or technical data sheets just email us at sales@guardian-solutions.net

Thanks for the valuable feedback.

Guardian.

• Advertisement
Advertisement