Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help.. college??

Options
  • 19-11-2013 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi guys. I'm 23 I've a baby boy who's nearly 2. I'd love to go back to college maybe part time. I live with my boyfriend who has a good job and is fully supporting my idea. I'm working full timein a coffee shop and to be honest I hate it.. I'm not happy. I have done a fetac level 5 in social care so was thinking of aiming towards this area again.. I don't know where to go to get information or what I've to do to get there etc etc... I live in Meath so college in Dublin or surrounding areas... someone help me please thanks!!!!! ♥

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭0161allin

If you have the level 5 in social care, look into the open training college. It does a degree in applied social care (disability), level 7 and 8. It's an online experience mostly attending a work shop every module. The modules last 6 to 8 week safter you get the readings, then your assignment. It's mainly designed for people who work in the area, so it's very do able, it's designed with the full time worker in mind. You would have to be at least volunteering in a service somewhere, think it had to be at least ten hrs a week when I last read it. Your assignments will be mainly based on your experience at work. Very very do able though

Hi guys. I'm 23 I've a baby boy who's nearly 2. I'd love to go back to college maybe part time. I live with my boyfriend who has a good job and is fully supporting my idea. I'm working full timein a coffee shop and to be honest I hate it.. I'm not happy. I have done a fetac level 5 in social care so was thinking of aiming towards this area again.. I don't know where to go to get information or what I've to do to get there etc etc... I live in Meath so college in Dublin or surrounding areas... someone help me please thanks!!!!! ♥

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Hi, I am currently in 3rd year studying full time at ITB and I have an almost 3yo. I went back to college when she was almost 10 months. Studying and being a young parent has its challenges, but overall I find it rewarding. Childcare can be an issue, if you already have this in place would it be able to accommodate late pick ups if you are in college until 6 + the time needed for your commute? Organisation is a big one for me, making sure to get assignments and course work done a bit in advance because the day you leave it to last minute and hope to pull an all nighter kid will be up too! I find it easier to be in college say 9-5 and spend that time in the library & so that I have little to do in the evenings and can focus on family life then until kids are in bed. College social life - again this ties in with childcare, timetabling, etc.

Regarding already having a Fetac I would say this will give you a good advantage, particularly in first year. Lots of girls in my class have done their level 5/6 before starting the degree and it has really stood to them. Courses in the Humanities area that you might be interested in would be Social Care, Social Community Development and Early Childhood Care & Education. The details of all the courses are on the ITB web page.

If you had any other more specific questions feel free to ask! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

OP said she has supportive partner. You're comment is not very helpful.

Advertisement