Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The cost of graduation robes

Options
  • 19-11-2013 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Does anyone have inside information as to why graduation robes are so expensive? It is a joke being asked to pay ~€50 to rent them for a couple of hours. Is there a reason this goes unquestioned or am I just a cheapskate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mumtoe&e

No you're not a cheapskate
    It's nuts
    No doubt they'll say something like the cost of dry cleaning after each wear or some malarkey like that!! They should cost 20-30e max

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

It is ridiculous to be honest and its a total monopoly as well. That said, you can collect it a day or so in advance, some people do that to take photos etc with family who won't be there on the day.

Still, €30 tops to be honest. My Eng. year alone probably netted them €12,500 for a days work. Now multiply that by multiple years, faculties and universities :O

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I'll be needing some in a couple of weeks. Where are they available?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

I don't buy the drycleaning excuse, my robes were make up stained on the neck when I got them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

hjghftuy_zps0fbbd0ee.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

I guess the only defence for the high prices is the fact the company 'may' have to have a stock of thousands of gowns, usually only getting rent for them at certain times of the year. The rest of the year they are in storage etc and not earning the company any money.
    It's a company who prioritise end of year profit, not the students wallets.

TheVoodoo wrote: »
    I guess the only defence for the high prices is the fact the company 'may' have to have a stock of thousands of gowns, usually only getting rent for them at certain times of the year. The rest of the year they are in storage etc and not earning the company any money.
    It's a company who prioritise end of year profit, not the students wallets.

While I see what you are saying, its like owning an outdoor water park in Winter, as I said earlier they made at least €12,500 on my year alone. Multiple that by 2 or 3 graduations a day plus the bigger faculties like Arts, they could probably charge €10 a gown and still make an absolute killing. And graduation season isn't that short, they start early Aug. and definitely go on to mid-November.

Its pure greed and monopoly really. And I'd imagine the college get a kickback too given its a tender and you have to get a robe from them (Faculty colours etc)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 MrWatts

Is there any evidence for the unfounded assertions on this thread?

I doubt UCD's academic outfitters would be too impressed if they were to come across some of the stuff written here.

There's nothing stopping anyone from going out and buying their own gown and hood. See how much that costs you.

MrWatts wrote: »
    Is there any evidence for the unfounded assertions on this thread?

I doubt UCD's academic outfitters would be too impressed if they were to come across some of the stuff written here.

There's nothing stopping anyone from going out and buying their own gown and hood. See how much that costs you.

Yes but you would still need to rent the correct colours etc for your faculty. In addition, you would only ever have to use a gown perhaps once, maybe twice. So it would be false economy to buy one. On the flip side, it shouldn't cost you potentially €100 for about 6 hours wear in total (Undergrad and Masters for example) And in some cases, Undergrad, Masters and pHd are different robes.

Sorry, there is no justification for the pricing given the sheer volume of turn over the company has and the monopoly they enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

ironclaw wrote: »
    Yes but you would still need to rent the correct colours etc for your faculty.

Just so you know, UCD have gotten rid of "faculty colours". Everyone graduates in UCD colours now, saffrony yellow and blue.
    There's different robes/hoods/hats for Bachelors, Masters & Doctorates though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,300 ✭✭✭✭endacl

T'would indeed be a monopoly and a ripoff if academic robes were compulsory. If you don't want to pay €50, then don't.

There's different robes/hoods/hats for Bachelors, Masters & Doctorates though.

As far as I know there are now four different forms of academic dress for UCDD:

- bachelor
    - master
    - doctor
    - higher doctor

However, there is no definitive authority on these matters. Try emailing/phoning the conferring unit and try to get a definite answer to a definite question. The "standards" change like the tide -- this is symptomatic of the relativistic ideology that prevails in Western democracies at the moment. However, in fairness to the conferring unit, I don't think even they know what document they should be working off of and are left to their own devices -- make it up as you go along if you will. The rubrics of a university's academic dress should be precise and detailed. Where the bright yellow and EU blue came from is anybody's guess. The colours of the university are (were, anyway) St Patrick's blue and saffron. How we evolved into "blue and yellow" is obvious -- the lack of a definitive authority who publish and enforce standards.

I wouldn't be surprised if in 50 years' time, another new-age graphic designer will come along and devise yet another colour scheme and logo. I mean, UCDD is sooo early 21st century...

My opinion is that the whole re-branding thing is a complete cock-up. Stripping out years of historical precedence and tradition so as to "fit-in" with a "logo" was a sacrilegious decision. Those responsible for the destruction of university's heritage know who they are.

Can we put a glass frontage on Newman House while we're at it? I mean the building looks very old, out-dated and not in keeping with the 21st century... Hey, we could even project the UCDD "logo" onto the front of the building -- snazz it up a bit, if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Here's the press release for the new academic dress, it was posted on this forum when it came out.

I did like the different colours for the different faculties, I gotta say. Nice sense of community - even if it's a bit annoying for people taking interdisciplinary subjects, like myself.
    St. Patrick's blue & saffron are described as the official colours, with PhD (makes no reference to higher doctorates) robes having also some "Celtic blue", a darker blue, the article says. Though the PhD robes in the article look the same colour blue to me..

But while no reference to higher doctorates are are made in that article, here is a picture of some honorary DLitt, DSc and LLD recipients - (but I don't think UCD award those degrees other than in an honorary capacity) - and their robes are fairly different (and naff, IMO.)

The language used in that "press release" is inaccurate and non-definitive.

Anyway, the whole thing is a mess.

Everything will have changed again in another ten years' time.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Kiltennel

ironclaw wrote: »
    Sorry, there is no justification for the pricing given the sheer volume of turn over the company has and the monopoly they enjoy.

If there's a large body of people graduating every year willing to pay €50 (Ie not complain about it to the relevant authorities in a large group) then why wouldn't a company charge that? Any company that has a monopoly on such a market is going to charge the most they can, that's pretty basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

MrWatts wrote: »

No, I think it's an NUI thing to wear the tie under the hood (UCC, NUIG, NUIM do the same thing).

El Siglo wrote: »
    No, I think it's an NUI thing to wear the tie under the hood (UCC, NUIG, NUIM do the same thing).

Going to be honest, the tie over the hood looks horrific. Don't understand why anyone thought that would look tidy and presentable, which I presume is the whole point of wearing a roobe in the first place?

El Siglo wrote: »

Sigh. Source please. You won't find one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement