Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7 reinstall - no drivers for cd drive?

• 19-11-2013 12:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

So my dads laptop HDD broke. Bought a new one (indectical). Hooked it up. Put in the Windows DVD, and it gets so far and then asks me to browse for drivers for the CD/DVD drive?

Any idea whats going on here?

I thought windows came with generic drivers. Also it's reading from the feckin disc to show that message...

At a loss.

Tried to make a windows 7 bootable USB...and having other issues with that.

Someone put me out of my misery.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Found similar thread on the toshiba support forums:
    http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=232597&#232597

For the love of christ don't tell me I've to order a DVD from toshiba...why can't I download the damn thing? (sorry, been at this for ages)

Save me boardsies! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Boot able USB? Are you going from scratch with an ISO?

TLDR: Aye from scratch with an ISO burned on to le DVD. (it's legit too)

I tried to make a bootable USB using the windows bootable usb maker thing (the one made by windows) but it didn't work because it's not 'joliet' (it's just UDF)

So I downloaded the free trial of PowerISO to save it out as joliet/UDF but the free version would only do that for files smaller than 300mb, AND PowerISO installed a feckin browser hijack to take me to search.conduit, so I had to install hitman and malwarebytes to get rid of that.

So then, I followed these steps to create a bootable USB. But when I got to the end it wouldn't transfer the feckin files it gave me an "invalid MS-DOS function".

Well... I digress.

Looks like I have to order the recovery DVD.... 35 quid

And they have to mail to me....can't purchase and download it, oh no. They're going to physically mail me a DVD....

1050.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6 BZ7

Can you perhaps post/PM the model name/number of the laptop in question? I really couldn't guarentee any real help to you, but I could take a few moments to search stuff and sh*t...

• Advertisement

Sure, it's a Toshiba C855 1GQ :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

Hi

Important question - will it boot to say a men test bootable cd?

I think I poss know the answer OP but you have to tell me will it boot to any boot disks like a men test etc.

worded wrote: »
    Hi

Important question - will it boot to say a men test bootable cd?

Presume you mean memtest?

And to answer, I'm not sure. I haven't tried anything apart from the Win7 DVD.

Yes men test or whatever is known bootable

Ok try this

Get into the BIOS

You will probably have to disable "secure boot"

and possibly also change to the old BIOS mode.

Change it to CSM mode I think it's called. It will have been greyed out before you changed the secure boot.

It's a hunch. Try it.

Boot up afterwards and see if it works.

No point paying for recovery dvd if FA boots right !

• Advertisement

Thanks, will try now.

If that works you will install windows.

You may then need to revert back to the old bios setting to get into windows after install.

Off to sleep.

Anyway if it doesnt work try a fee diff boot disks. You may have a bad dvd drive

worded wrote: »
    You will probably have to disable "secure boot"

and possibly also change to the old BIOS mode.

Change it to CSM mode I think it's called. It will have been greyed out before you changed the secure boot.

I don't have "secure boot"? As in, there is no option regarding secure boot.

What's old BIOS mode?

And lastly I've no CSM mode.

The BIOS is "insydeh20" - System BIOS version 1.40

Also I'm 99.9% sure it's not a faulty drive.

Ok that may not be the prob if you can't see csm anywhere.

Get a memtest so etc and see if it boots to it.

Off to sleep

Good luck op!

I may be slightly out of my depth here and talking sh*t. A much less technical solution possibly, but something that worked for me none the less. I encountered a similar problem before and this is what I used. Although it's that long ago, I somewhat forget the process. I think it finds the precise name/model of the drivers that are missing, which you could then yahoogle. I'm pretty sure (99%) the linked software above was the software I successfully used, but obviously you should download and use at your own risk. Good luck...

Just to add. I (possibly) wrongly, was assuming you had windows installed already. If you do, then the above advice is still good. If not, apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Can the drive read other CD's & DVD's? Possible Higher or Lower Filters problem if it can't, which is super easy to fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

have you tried smoething like this

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/boot-dos-from-usb/

I got a program that will create bootable usb from an ISO for linux but all that info is on my broken computer which the power switch does not work

the_syco wrote: »
    Can the drive read other CD's & DVD's?

Yup. No problem booting up Ubuntu live CD/DVD.
    have you tried something like this

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/boot-dos-from-usb/

I got a program that will create bootable usb from an ISO for linux but all that info is on my broken computer which the power switch does not work

I'll give that a go. Sure it'll work for Win7? And not just *nix distros?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Whats the exact message you are getting. Are you sure its not looking for SATA drivers for your hard drive.

In the bios do you get the option to set SATA mode to AHCI or IDE.

Where did you get the iso from.

I use YUMI (http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/) to boot from a USB it will format (wipe) the USB so be careful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

hearny wrote: »
    Whats the exact message you are getting. Are you sure its not looking for SATA drivers for your hard drive.

I use YUMI (http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/) to boot from a USB it will format (wipe) the USB so be careful

Would 100% check this out.
    It's more likely an issue with the SATA drive/mode than anything else.

That or as mentioned above a dodgy DVD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Right, let's start fresh;

Grab the correct ISO from here (digital river, it was posted here before on boards)

You've two choices to create a bootable USB; the long command prompt way or a nice GUI way. I'd avoid the MS tool, I've had trouble with it in the past.

CMD Prompt way

Make sure you set either to have a boot menu to chose the boot device or put the USB as the top preference in the BIOS menu or you'll just shoot past it and boot off the CD or the HDD

Or two great GUI tools; Unetbootin (I usually use this for Linux distros, but I used it once for a Windows 7 going onto a netbook)

Or WinToFlash. Another tool that works great. I'd use the latter as you don't have to preformat the key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

KonFusion wrote: »
    I'll give that a go. Sure it'll work for Win7? And not just *nix distros?

the tool itself just asks you for a iso so I am hoping it will help

the link i gave you there actually say boot windows from usb what it will do is run windows using the flash drive as the disk and the computers ram you will have access to things like the cd rom drive but I am not sure about access to the computers hard disk.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Try burning that digital river .iso using a different batch of DVD disks and use a diff PC as well if at all poss in case you have a bad DVD burner as well.

I was once using a bad set of Memorex DVDs - almost drove me mad !

hearny wrote: »

The exact error message is this (not my pic, same message though etc)

Not sure on BIOS options, will check when I'm home but I don't think so.

I got the ISO from Digital River.

Thanks, I'll give yumi a go!
    kippy wrote: »
    Would 100% check this out.
    It's more likely an issue with the SATA drive/mode than anything else.

That or as mentioned above a dodgy DVD.

Pretty sure the DVD is fine, but thanks! Will do.
    Mycroft H wrote: »
    Grab the correct ISO from here (digital river, it was posted here before on boards)

You've two choices to create a bootable USB; the long command prompt way or a nice GUI way. I'd avoid the MS tool, I've had trouble with it in the past.

CMD Prompt way

Make sure you set either to have a boot menu to chose the boot device or put the USB as the top preference in the BIOS menu or you'll just shoot past it and boot off the CD or the HDD

I tried this already with a diff, but similar, guide...got an error towards the end (MS-DOS something something) but will try this way.
    sheesh wrote: »
    the tool itself just asks you for a iso so I am hoping it will help

the link i gave you there actually say boot windows from usb what it will do is run windows using the flash drive as the disk and the computers ram you will have access to things like the cd rom drive but I am not sure about access to the computers hard disk.

Thanks!
    uberalles wrote: »
    Try burning that digital river .iso using a different batch of DVD disks and use a diff PC as well if at all poss in case you have a bad DVD burner as well.

I was once using a bad set of Memorex DVDs - almost drove me mad !

Done this :)

---

Thanks folks! It's very much appreciated! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Can you try to boot from an ext dvd rom drive - one on the end of a USB cable? Borrow one ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

KonFusion wrote: »
    The exact error message is this (not my pic, same message though etc)

Not sure on BIOS options, will check when I'm home but I don't think so.

I got the ISO from Digital River.

Thanks, I'll give yumi a go!

Pretty sure the DVD is fine, but thanks! Will do.

I tried this already with a diff, but similar, guide...got an error towards the end (MS-DOS something something) but will try this way.

Thanks!

Done this :)

---

Thanks folks! It's very much appreciated! :)
    Done a bit more digging.
    That laptop has a USB3 port on it. Is there anything connected to that USB3 port during the install? Have you tried disconnecting whatever is connected to it? (It's a USB port but there will be some Blue inside it)
    This came from here btw but I dont think it 100 percent matches your circumstances as I understand them.
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/67974-63-trying-install-windows-required-driver-missing#.

Failing that, can you check this out (I notice he was booting from a USB as well)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1fjHG8kIds

Few things in this thread (boot mode) that may be relevant also:
    http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/192945-required-cd-dvd-drive-device-driver-missing-2.html

There seem to be a few different possible reasons/fixes for this issue, despite it no being one I have come across before. (Bad media is another one)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 williamdonohoe

it sound like you will have to install the chip set drivers before it can see the hdd

Advertisement