Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it acceptable for a neighbour to use vacuum cleaner from 12 midnight onwards?

Options
  • 19-11-2013 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

As title says my neighbour has started to hoover at 12am, this will prob go on for an hour. Do you think this is acceptable behaviour, I defo don't as I consider my neighbours in what I do after certain times ie I keep tv lowered, wouldn't do certain house chores like having washing machine on or HOOVER. It's not the noise of the hoover as such but the banging off the skirting that's infuriating and keeping me awake. I have had problems with her before over her house alarm constantly going off and this has been resolved. Your opinions or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

It wouldn't bother me. Hoovering isn't something that I'd be getting annoyed over as I'm a deep sleeper, but maybe if it's every night.
    Is it an apartment or semi d ?
    If it's an apartment then check the management company rules on cleaning hours.
    I doubt there are any though. Have you tried talking to the neighbour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The_Mask wrote: »
    As title says my neighbour has started to hoover at 12pm, this will prob go on for an hour. Do you think this is acceptable behaviour, I defo don't as I consider my neighbours in what I do after certain times ie I keep tv lowered, wouldn't do certain house chores like having washing machine on or HOOVER. It's not the noise of the hoover as such but the banging off the skirting that's infuriating and keeping me awake. I have had problems with her before over her house alarm constantly going off and this has been resolved. Your opinions or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Do you mean 12am? As in 35 minutes ago?

It depends on whether it's a house or an apartment, I have in the past hoovered at 1am as there is decent noise insulation between me and my neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

12pm = noon = totally acceptable

12am = midnight = not acceptable. Try having a friendly chat with them next time they hoover.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The_Mask

Sorry 12am guys! Im always mixing the two :-P. It happens maybe twice a week but I notice it alot more when I'm on the early shifts (6am to 10pm). It's esp infuriating when I 've been asleep for an hour or two only to be then awoken by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I think around 10pm is the accepted cut-off for stuff like hoovering - midnight is definitely out of order!

Personally, I would consider it getting too late for that stuff after about 9-9.30pm at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

Midnight hoovering is not acceptable. I would agree with previous posters, say it to your neighbour, they may just not realise that it is disruptive.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

How early?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Absolutely out of order where you have attached neighbours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Tell her that the nightsaver rate kicks in at 2300 during the winter and to clean that hour earlier :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Your entitled to a good nights sleep. hoovering at that hour is not acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

snubbleste wrote: »
    Tell her that the nightsaver rate kicks in at 2300 during the winter and to clean that hour earlier :cool:

i wonder does she even have nightsaver electricity.
    a lot of people think that they have it when they actually dont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

If it's a regular thing it's not acceptable at all and I would talk to her.

If it only happened once, I'd let it slide - they may have spilled something/made a mess and had to limit the damage ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Anyone hoovering at midnight has to be trying to deliberately annoy their neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

What time does your neighbour go to sleep? Make some noise. Make your point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Ive a neighbour who runs a washing machine/dryer after midnight regularly - and its an apartment block. It vibrates through the entire block and sounds like a plane is taking off. Its bad manners as far as I am concerned.

Say it to your neighbour. Its bad form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

mhge wrote: »
    If it's a regular thing it's not acceptable at all and I would talk to her.

If it only happened once, I'd let it slide - they may have spilled something/made a mess and had to limit the damage ASAP.

did you not read the thread before you posted ?
    The_Mask wrote: »
    Sorry 12am guys! Im always mixing the two :-P. It happens maybe twice a week but I notice it alot more when I'm on the early shifts (6am to 10pm). It's esp infuriating when I 've been asleep for an hour or two only to be then awoken by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

What the hell takes an hour to hoover? There is a noise compliance law, something to do with noise after 9pm. You can report them to the county council .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

Ive a neighbour who runs a washing machine/dryer after midnight regularly - and its an apartment block. It vibrates through the entire block and sounds like a plane is taking off. Its bad manners as far as I am concerned.

How about a dishwasher? I'm guilty of this and sometimes I wonder...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I used to do this and never really thought about it until I heard someone else in our block doing the same. Holy feck, the noise was unreal!
    I felt so bad and haven't done it since.
    Seems to be only when it's on a spin cycle though.
    Dishwashers are fine I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

RangeR wrote: »

But why should OP get unnecessarily arsey like that and aggrevate an otherwise potentially decent relationship ?

There's a very decent chance OPs neighbour is a reasonable person who is not aware of creating such a disturbance and will change her behaviour if the OP approaches her and raises the problem in a calm and friendly way.

In recent years we seem to have lost the ability and/or the will to approach our neighbours talk out issues directly like adults. Going the other way about it just gets peoples backs up unnecessarily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

RangeR wrote: »

Probably not the best idea if you live in a mid terrace or flat. You'd piss off the neighbour on the other side also.

I wouldn't have thought the noise of a hoover would have gone through walls too easily but I'm not going to doubt the OP either.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ive a neighbour who runs a washing machine/dryer after midnight regularly - and its an apartment block.
    If you're in said apartment block also, inform the management company, and/or make a large A3 poster asking whoever is doing it to stop, and leave said poster in the lobby. Petty, but it may be effective in shaming the person to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Just a few observations -

I don't think a dishwasher is an issue. Although I don't think you're supposed to leave a dishwasher unattended in case of fire.

Hoovering does seem excessive (actually hoovering twice a week seems obsessive!)

Where I live there is to be no audible noise after 9.30pm and before 7am. That said, the guys three doors down had their music on so loud last week- to the state where pictures in my place were banging off the walls (every night) and were smoking hash outside that I exploded - it was the same day as the guy was killed in Skerries after having a dispute allegedly over a barking dog, so maybe wasn't the smartest move.

I like in a duplex, and the girl next door got married recently....on the dot of 11.15 I can hear her husband shaving (you know banging the razor off the side of the sink) and shall we say, intimacy from 11.28 to 11.45. It's very precise. I find it quite funny. (she's now pregnant!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Our Neighbour is the same. We are in a number of flat subdivided above a shop. The neighbour in the loft works in the shop downstairs and get in every night about 11:30 and gets the hoover out. It very frustrating. Not sure what possess a person to start hoovering every night before bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Like whiskeyman I also put on a load in the washing machine/dryer past 11pm and went to bed. Thought nothing of it and seemed reasonable to me.

Then the neighbours upstairs did the same and it makes a fierce racket on spin cycle

Still the people downstairs never once complained, maybe they were cursing me for years though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

the_syco wrote: »
    If you're in said apartment block also, inform the management company, and/or make a large A3 poster asking whoever is doing it to stop, and leave said poster in the lobby. Petty, but it may be effective in shaming the person to stop.

We don't have a lobby, no shared areas.

To be honest, I long ago resigned myself to ear plug wearing to survive apartment living so I haven't bothered complaining. I've learned over time you can do your own head in more getting hot and bothered about noise you have no control over or you can ear plug and be peaceful. If I knew which apartment it was I'd say it to them directly but I don't.

Thanks for your 2 cents lads I had a feeling the majority would agree it wasn't acceptable. It's a semi-detached so I'm not going to cause a noise disturbance to get back at her and end up disrupting my neighbours on the other side. As one poster suggested and Im going to agree with him that anyone doing house chores at these hours are intentionally causing a disturbance, she doesn't work either before someone starts making excuses for her. The reason being myself and, unbeknownst to me, 2 other neighbours had words with her about her house alarm constantly going off at all hours about a month ago so is this her hitting back or what. I work shift ie earlies,lates,nights and this alarm was beginning to have an effect on my quality of life.Is she licking her wounds now and waiting for her next move lads?....little apples dats all I will say

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If she is just being petty then let her at it; shell soon get bored if you dont retaliate. It takes a special kind of nutjob to stay up past midnight just so that they can do some hoovering to annoy the neighbours...

Not sure what possess a person to start hoovering every night before bed.[/QUOTE]

• Advertisement

djimi wrote: »
    If she is just being petty then let her at it; shell soon get bored if you dont retaliate. It takes a special kind of nutjob to stay up past midnight just so that they can do some hoovering to annoy the neighbours...

Oh she is something special alright! Well said djimi..I will just have to grin and bare it. As my gf also said she's just looking for a reaction coz shes sad and not happy with her life. It's easier said than done but justice will prevail and karma will show me that in some instances long term silence will always be better than a short term outburst if you catch my drift?!

Advertisement