Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Under Pressure to visit on xmas day ?

Options
  • 19-11-2013 6:02am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭

There used to be hassle on where we would go/ have dinner with on Christmas day. Her folks/My folks etc. About 3 years ago we decided to spend Christmas day at home. We have a young family of 3 kids under 8 and just find it nicer to do our own thing. St Stephens day/ Christmas eve or any other time I will go and visit or have people over but I now refuse to go out on Christmas day.
    The folks were a bit put out at first but Its all good now, And I love cooking Christmas dinner while trying to get a toy etc to work !:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

As my Dad used to say.. Nothing like your own fire on Christmas day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

finix wrote: »
    There used to be hassle on where we would go/ have dinner with on Christmas day. Her folks/My folks etc. About 3 years ago we decided to spend Christmas day at home. We have a young family of 3 kids under 8 and just find it nicer to do our own thing. St Stephens day/ Christmas eve or any other time I will go and visit or have people over but I now refuse to go out on Christmas day.
    The folks were a bit put out at first but Its all good now, And I love cooking Christmas dinner while trying to get a toy etc to work !:)

I think you're right - I don't have kids but I think, if you do, as they get older you want to spend Christmas in your own house instead of going to your parents or whatever. It makes more sense to have your own Christmas and maybe invite the parents around to yours instead if they want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭touts

I know. It actually is a big drag. They all come to us for Christmas dinner and still we get grief if we don't call around to the various houses in the morning.

Typical Christmas morning:
    "Are you coming over"
    "I'm busy I'm cooking your dinner and assembling toys!"
    "Ah but sure it wouldn't be christmas if ye were not here in the morning! Your mother will be so upset"
    "Oh all right......."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

stay in your own house... especially if you have kids. Visit on Xmas eve or Stephens Day instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

I'm working nights this Christmas. The plan is to come home from work (about 08.30), sleep until 12, head out to my mothers, stay up until about 16.30. Lie down for a while and get up to eat dinner and dessert at 18.00. Head to work about 19.30.

I finish nights on the morning of the 26th, so will sleep until around 11.30 then head to his family for the evening.

Not ideal but not the worst either!

• Advertisement
Advertisement