Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Plumber or electrician?

• 19-11-2013 8:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

In a total house refurb situation with rewire and installation of a zoned gas heating system who would usually wire for the heating system the plumber or electrician?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

Saison wrote: »
    In a total house refurb situation with rewire and installation of a zoned gas heating system who would usually wire for the heating system the plumber or electrician?

A competent plumber, ive actually come across more problems on systems wired by electricians than anything else, that said I'm sure there are sparks out there more than capable. But IF it's a gas boiler you have they can't work on it unless RGI registered anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Saison

Thanks

and would the plumber run the wires install valves etc that is needed for 3 zones or would he just do the electrical bit at the boiler and leave the sparks to do the rest?

Saison wrote: »
    Thanks

and would the plumber run the wires install valves etc that is needed for 3 zones or would he just do the electrical bit at the boiler and leave the sparks to do the rest?

Plumber could do the lot

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭310

by law sparks has to do wiring

310 wrote: »

Incorrect . By law a sparks has to provide a double poled spur . Everything from that point in regards to the heating system is looked after by the RGI . System wiring and controls is part of being an RGI , and our public liability insurance covers this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

310 wrote: »

Not the case. Any RGI that is certified for electrical minor works (GID) can do it. You mistaking only a registered electrician can enter the consumer unit & then must issue a certificate of conformance.

Even the RGI can tail a spur from a socket circuit & install the spur. The only part of the heating electrical system that the RGI cannot do is wire the 10 square into the consumer unit. He can cross bond all pipework though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 paulydicanio

I could be facing the same confusion as the OP very shortly so maybe somebody could clarify please...
    Does anyone know the exact breakdown of who does what in a situation like this? Is the plumber, as the registered installer, the main guy, and he tells the electrician what he needs to wire, and then it's the responsibility of the sparks? Or would the sparks be expected to come in independently and know what cable he needs to wire and where? I presume the two need to be in contact with the plumber taking the lead?

shane0007 wrote: »
    Even the RGI can tail a spur from a socket circuit & install the spur.

I wasn't too sure about that to be honest , thanks for clarifying it a bit better

I could be facing the same confusion as the OP very shortly so maybe somebody could clarify please...
    Does anyone know the exact breakdown of who does what in a situation like this? Is the plumber, as the registered installer, the main guy, and he tells the electrician what he needs to wire, and then it's the responsibility of the sparks? Or would the sparks be expected to come in independently and know what cable he needs to wire and where? I presume the two need to be in contact with the plumber taking the lead?

Point is you don't need both , your plumber can and should do the lot if he's competent to do so

• Advertisement

It really depends on the competency of the RGI. Many RGI's do not feel comfortable around electrics. Why I don't really know as most gas boilers are 80% electrical!

So best option is a competent RGI as they would have a better understanding of the heating system, what each component is supposed to do & how component location can affect the system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Cycling Dumbasses

As a general question, with RGI plumber present at a job, plumber opens up boiler to gain access to electrical connection point, can an electrician then continue to wire it with the presence of the plumber there? Plumber obviously closes boiler back up, is this situation viable?

As a general question, with RGI plumber present at a job, plumber opens up boiler to gain access to electrical connection point, can an electrician then continue to wire it with the presence of the plumber there? Plumber obviously closes boiler back up, is this situation viable?

Technically no as the electrician is working on a gas appliance & is not a RGI.
    Does it happen? Everyday.
    The issue is not the wiring side. It is the issues caused unknowingly & the testing of the safety devices that is lacking. The operative must test all devices following works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Egass13 wrote: »
    Even the RGI can tail a spur from a socket circuit & install the spur.

I wasn't too sure about that to be honest , thanks for clarifying it a bit better

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Cycling Dumbasses

Technically no as the electrician is working on a gas appliance & is not a RGI.
    Does it happen? Everyday.
    The issue is not the wiring side. It is the issues caused unknowingly & the testing of the safety devices that is lacking. The operative must test all devices following works.
    Thanks for your reply, so if an electrician was in charge of the wiring of the heating job the right thing would be to run the supply/control cables to the gas boiler and get the RGI plumber to connect them in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

An electrician is more than welcome to wire a heating installation if it is on his tender. The RGI would have to terminate the boiler.

If I do a refurb I would normally get the electrician to price for cable routing to agreed locations and I would terminate.

Advertisement