Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

rgi to wire gas boiler

• 19-11-2013 9:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭

Someone sed in a different thread that the sparks needs to be rgi to wire a gas boiler.

I wire my own or if grant work I use a sparks. I thought the likes of reci would cover that

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Someone sed in a different thread that the sparks needs to be rgi to wire a gas boiler.

I wire my own or if grant work I use a sparks. I thought the likes of reci would cover that

Once the cover is taken off the boiler you are working on a gas appliance , it's no different to a plumber , plumbing the wet side and getting his rgi mate to connect the gas , it still classed as working on a gas appliance in which case you have to be registered . I'll hold my hand up if I'm wrong here but that always been my understanding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Egass13 wrote: »
    Once the cover is taken off the boiler you are working on a gas appliance , it's no different to a plumber , plumbing the wet side and getting his rgi mate to connect the gas , it still classed as working on a gas appliance in which case you have to be registered . I'll hold my hand up if I'm wrong here but that always been my understanding

Ye your right egass

Irrespective of the legal rights and wrongs, from the spur is the RGIs responcibility to make sure it all works:eek:, it's more likely to work if the person wiring it understands what the individual component does and the impact the component will have on the heating system, for example the positioning of the roomstat or deciding between a 3 channel programmer or 3 switches with felt tip numbers:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

gary71 wrote: »
    for example the positioning of the roomstat or deciding between a 3 channel programmer or 3 switches with felt tip numbers:pac:

Came on one today, stat fitted in kitchen on wall above the fridge freezer :rolleyes:

Came on one today, stat fitted in kitchen on wall above the fridge freezer :rolleyes:

Funny enough I'd say it's more likely the heat from the back of the fridge that throw the stat off!!

• Advertisement

I had one that was not only above a rad but was also wired to the shower pump rather than the actuator ! The lad replaced two shower pumps thinking they wer faulty and all it was was the stat switching the pump off !

Egass13 wrote: »
    I had one that was not only above a rad but was also wired to the shower pump rather than the actuator ! The lad replaced two shower pumps thinking they wer faulty and all it was was the stat switching the pump off !

Priceless. Jaysus ya couldn't make that kinda thing up

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Priceless. Jaysus ya couldn't make that kinda thing up

I nearly had trouble believing it even when I was looking at it!

My favorites: by the front door, in a bookcase with the doors shut, fitted behind a picture frame (supplied by the installer) to deflect the heat from the double panel rad below it:pac: but the very best fitted under the kitchen cupboards above a toaster:pac::pac:

As for wiring I once had a job where this old boy was being driven demented by his tv going off all the time, I happened to be working on his BBU and was able to connect his screaming at the tv with me turning the wheel on the boilers Randell 103.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Just finished a boiler swap over today. Yesterday when I popped out the fused spur. All the lights went out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Oil boiler wouldn't work.

Clock faulty. Turned off the spur changed the flash timer. Back on. Nothing.

You had to plug it into a socket after the timer and spur to get power to go out the boiler.

I thought the plug was the washing machine. Was just checking the sockets for power

Advertisement