Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gloves - Warm and Thin?

• 19-11-2013 10:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Any recommendations for winter gloves? Just got into work this morning with the finger tips falling off me!

I have a pair of thick ones but they're like ski gloves and I feel it takes away from my clutch control. I adapt to it but don't enjoy wearing them on the bike and it turns out they're not even that warm/waterproof.

I've been using a thin leather pair all year that I got for a tenner at the bike show and they've been great, lately I stuck on a pair of cheap thin Penney's gloves underneath and have great control with them but it's too cold for that now.

So I'd like to know if it's possible to get warm ones that aren't too bulky and what sort of prices I'd be looking at.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

This is deffo something i struggle with also.
    I got some cold killers under gloves and they make a massive difference.

I have tried winter gloves and i cant stand them. Im checking our new gloves this weekend and will probs just go for some race style leather gloves with the cold killers under them and keep the heated grips up full.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

goodlad wrote: »
    This is deffo something i struggle with also.
    I got some cold killers under gloves and they make a massive difference.

I have tried winter gloves and i cant stand them. Im checking our new gloves this weekend and will probs just go for some race style leather gloves with the cold killers under them and keep the heated grips up full.
    That be these chaps? http://www.coldkillers.co.uk/product.html?product=undergloves

Know where you can buy them and try them on first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I have a pair of Held Air N Dry and TBH they are excellent. They would do for all winter bar the extremely cold days that we get the odd time. Highly recommend....

http://www.held.de/343-1-Gloves.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

M450 wrote: »
    That be these chaps? http://www.coldkillers.co.uk/product.html?product=undergloves

Know where you can buy them and try them on first?

Thats the ones. You can get them from http://www.motorcycleshop.ie/
    I find the sizing chart pretty accurate for them tbh.

I tried on some Richa Artic the other day and found them too bulky.
    But there is a richa arctic 2 that has 2 internal sections for the gloves. One for warmth and one for better grip.

I tried them on the other day but didnt have my gear on at the time so couldnt properly test them. My gear is kinda bulky at the wrist and i wasnt sure if the gauntlet part of the glove was going to fit on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Sorry to bring up and old thread but there's alot on gloves, and this one is pretty much my question.

I am facing a similar issue, over the last few months. Anyone got a recommendation for gloves, keep you warm, good protection but still having that feel like it's your hand and not like your wearing an oven glove !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

TallGlass wrote: »
    Sorry to bring up and old thread but there's alot on gloves, and this one is pretty much my question.

I am facing a similar issue, over the last few months. Anyone got a recommendation for gloves, keep you warm, good protection but still having that feel like it's your hand and not like your wearing an oven glove !

Held Air n Dry.

Great glove,has 2 pockets in it,one for when cold n wet,the other for when dry and you want that race feel.

Bought mine up in Crossans.:)

20160227_125144_zpsl2yq76xo.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Summer gloves + cut-down gallon cans/milk containers. Keeping the wind and rain off is 7/8ths of the battle.

https://twitter.com/passengerbikes/status/665528978158067712

macplaxton wrote: »
    Summer gloves + cut-down gallon cans/milk containers. Keeping the wind and rain off is 7/8ths of the battle.

https://twitter.com/passengerbikes/status/665528978158067712

Wonder what they would use to keep the aul feet warm

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Door mats fitted to the engine crash bars. Well you did ask!

I've seen green plastic bristle type ones cut up and fitted, alternatively Coroplast ones out of "borrowed" estate agent signs.

Anything remotely rigid attached with strips of metal to engine/crash bars.

122_0010_cour15_z.jpg

All the best methods look ****.
    DSC00001.jpg
    http://diversionclub.proboards.com/thread/103

Personally, having done distance work, I preferred the full melted bus shelter fairings such as the Acrybre Wedge or the Rickman Trident. Ugly as sin, but effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭emo72

heading over to the nec, only thing im interested in is a pair of gloves. i need something that can take me to galway from dublin in torrential rain and keep me fingies toasty. thats all. not looking for much am i? anyone have any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Kawalski

I've just gotten a pair of Keis x800i gloves to go with my x20 body warmer...... Even on the medium setting the body warmer is toasty warm, I'll be trying the gloves in the morning & I'll let you know ❄🔥

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Kawalski wrote: »
    I've just gotten a pair of Keis x800i gloves to go with my x20 body warmer...... Even on the medium setting the body warmer is toasty warm, I'll be trying the gloves in the morning & I'll let you know ❄🔥

Body warmer is class isn't it. Had mine for a year. Feels odd at first having cooler arms

listermint wrote: »
    Body warmer is class isn't it. Had mine for a year. Feels odd at first having cooler arms

I love it, especially as the collar is heated too.
    The gloves hook in to the body warmer wiring but are controlled independently. They're not as toasty warm as I was expecting. They are well made & insulated, and quite warm without being turned on. The thing is my hands are size XL, but my fingers are bony so the heat pads, which are on the knuckle side aren't always in contact with my skin. Didn't get cold on my 70 mile trips to and from work today though ;)

I love it, especially as the collar is heated too.
    The gloves hook in to the body warmer wiring but are controlled independently. They're not as toasty warm as I was expecting. They are well made & insulated, and quite warm without being turned on. The thing is my hands are size XL, but my fingers are bony so the heat pads, which are on the knuckle side aren't always in contact with my skin. Didn't get cold on my 70 mile trips to and from work today though ;)

Do you have hand guards fitted?

The wind sheer will eat heat from the knuckles

listermint wrote: »
    Do you have hand guards fitted?

The wind sheer will eat heat from the knuckles

No handguard no, last winter I used muffs with brake lever protectors & heated pads on the grips (€5 from AliExpress) and that worked well. This year I needed new gloves & thought I'd try the heated route. The muffs worked well, but my left hand would get cold/wet whenever I rest it on my lap, it could also add a split second to braking times. However effective the muffs were, it's always nicer to ride without them & a relief when it comes time to remove them

No handguard no, last winter I used muffs with brake lever protectors & heated pads on the grips (€5 from AliExpress) and that worked well. This year I needed new gloves & thought I'd try the heated route. The muffs worked well, but my left hand would get cold/wet whenever I rest it on my lap, it could also add a split second to braking times. However effective the muffs were, it's always nicer to ride without them & a relief when it comes time to remove them

Muffs or handguards with the gloves you'll never look back heaven

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,357 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Good quality heated grips are great, on dry days I can wear lightweight gloves unless the temp is very close to zero.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

NO help to the OP but I was passing through longwood the other day and I popped into Horsepower to buy some chain loob. Decided to have a look at summer gloves. Tried on a few pairs and expected the to be in over €100. I ended up picking a pair of RST semi sport gloves for €55. well chuffed

Held Air n Dry are savage.no messin,savage.Great feel from them too.

Advertisement