Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hogget value

Options
  • 19-11-2013 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭

I wonder if anyone could answer me this question.

(Aside from the debate about putting ewe lambs in lamb)

What would the rough difference in value be between a Hogget that had a lamb as a ewe lamb and one that hasn't? Just trying to do some sums here....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

Here you go :

http://www.teagasc.ie/publications/2011/1826/ReplacementPolicyManagement.pdf

Basically

The value (to you) is €140 for a dry hoggett / €192 for a ewe lamb mated. The value of a purchased hogget is put at €195

All these figures seem a bit high to me today its probably an older document. but the ratio between the 3 options is what counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

wasnt the case last year, seen hoggets with lambs at foot making less than good dry one, depends on supply and demand and when you were selling

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭arctictree

So, for example on 1st September next, would a dry hogget be worth more than one that has lambed? And if so, how much more?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

If both were in the same condidtion, I'd say they'd be worth the same.
    I'm sure a lot of hoggets sold have had a lamb and this wouldnt be declared.
    Chances are the dry hogget will look the much better sheep come september though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭monseiur

arctictree wrote: »

What would the rough difference in value be between a Hogget that had a lamb as a ewe lamb and one that hasn't? Just trying to do some sums here....

The dry hogget would be worth approx. 30% more, but the lambed hogget would leave more cash esp. if shed had twins!
    Say dry hogget sells for €175

Lambed hogget sells for say €125 + 2 lambs sells for €75 each : Total €275
    + 1 '' '' €75 '' €200

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭monseiur

arctictree wrote: »

The dry hogget would be worth approx. 30% more but the lambed hogget would leave more money in your pocket esp. if she had twins !
    It all depends on the breed of course but it's generally adviseable not to breed lambs, the extra 12 months allows them to grow and develop and you'll have a much better ewe in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

monseiur wrote: »
    The dry hogget would be worth approx. 30% more but the lambed hogget would leave more money in your pocket esp. if she had twins !
    It all depends on the breed of course but it's generally adviseable not to breed lambs, the extra 12 months allows them to grow and develop and you'll have a much better ewe in the long run.

would not agree, breeding ewe lambs in first season is supposed to improve productivity and longevity long term, just needs to be managed well

by not breeding you will definitely have a bigger sheep the following season but doesnt mean you will have a better sheep IMO

Advertisement