Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over feeding?

Options
  • 19-11-2013 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I just wanted to make sure I am not over feeding my little one or is it possible to over feed a child of just about 9 months?

Breakfast: 7oz bottle, 4 table spoons of Readybrek, yogurt and some raisins.

Lunch: 7oz bottle, banana, baby rice, yogurt and some other fruit.

Dinner: potatoe (one small), two veg and meat/ fish

Bed: 7oz bottle.

And baby would eat more if available. The odd snack (not every day) would be rice cakes. All food is homemade.

Thanks all

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭sari

Seems pretty good to me but i breastfeed so I don't know about formula amounts and how that effects other amounts. One thing I would say is ditch the baby rice, it's empty calories very little nutritional value.
    You could add things like cheese, eggs, more fruit, beans and legumes, lentils.
    Healthy baked goods like carrot, courgette muffins.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 highflyer30

Ya sounds good. You ll find days when baby wants more or just bottle. I don't use rice either he prefers liga with fruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I wouldn't use rice or liga or rusks. Rice has no nutritional benefits but the other two are full of added sugars such as glucose fructose.

I also recall seeing hydrogenated fats as one of the ingredients of liga when O was a baby so I never used them but perhaps they use non hydrogenated now.

If you're looking for something like that perhaps give semolina or rice pudding. I used to give the lidl Greek yoghurt with stewed fruit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭sari

Wouldn't give liga they are pure sugar 3.7grams in a serving. Here's the ingredients
    Wheat Flour, Sugar , Glucose Syrup ,Glucose Fructose Syrup ,Vegetable Oil ,Raising Agent (Ammonium Bicarbonate) ,Salt ,Natural Vanilla Flavour ,Emulsifier (Soya Lecithin) ,Iron ,Vitamins B3, B1, B6
    2nd 3rd and 4th ingredients listed are sugar and highly processed sugar at that very very bad for blood sugar levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Thanks all - just worry because of those HSE ads about giving child size portions....my little one would easily eat an adult size portion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I wouldn't worry about how much a baby of that age eats as they'll naturally regulate their appetites after 1 year. You'll probably be posting again in 6 months saying he/she won't eat anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

a portion to a baby is supposed to be the size of their fist, heard this on a super nanny program once, makes me feel better when they are having one of those days when they eat very little, nothing wrong with the odd liga, rice etc, hard to find different variety of food every day

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Thay does not sound like over feeding.
    I have a 10 month old and he eats alot more then that:) and we have never used baby rice and it is probably not very useful for an older baby.

Breakfast (due to school runs this can be a bit spread out)240ml bottle,1 weetabix,yogurt and toast.
    Lunch - normally something like sweet potato and butternut squash that he can eat with his hands.
    Snacks - he loves liga,and rice cakes,and fruit but would probably eat anything.
    Dinner - normally what ever is going so spaghetti bolognaise or lasagne or he loves pasta. I sometimes give him jars if we are out or having take away or something.
    He gets another bottle at bedtime and 1 during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Thanks all :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Hi no, my little fella is just a few weeks younger than your little one. At the moment he gets

Am-8oz bottle
    Morning-porridge/wheatabix/ready Brek with 4oz bottle
    Lunch - mixed veg mashed with or without meat and 3oz bottle
    Dinner - meat and mixed veg with water/diluted juice
    Snack -bought custard with homemade puréed fruit
    Night -7oz bottle

My guy eats alot of savoury food and prob not enough fruit but I find the fruit wouldn't be enough as a meal. He also is lactose free so I can't give him yoghurt and he still can't manage finger food so snacks are hard.

I find it difficult to keep coming up with food ideas so some (bad) days ill just boil and mash lots of veg and I might add a bit of an Ella's kitchen pouch to wet it a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My 2nd could not touch milk at all,it is so much more complicated. Luckily since shortly after she was 2 the allergy totally disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

yellow hen wrote: »
    Hi no, my little fella is just a few weeks younger than your little one. At the moment he gets

Am-8oz bottle
    Morning-porridge/wheatabix/ready Brek with 4oz bottle
    Lunch - mixed veg mashed with or without meat and 3oz bottle
    Dinner - meat and mixed veg with water/diluted juice
    Snack -bought custard with homemade puréed fruit
    Night -7oz bottle

My guy eats alot of savoury food and prob not enough fruit but I find the fruit wouldn't be enough as a meal. He also is lactose free so I can't give him yoghurt and he still can't manage finger food so snacks are hard.

I find it difficult to keep coming up with food ideas so some (bad) days ill just boil and mash lots of veg and I might add a bit of an Ella's kitchen pouch to wet it a bit.

Yellow Hen, i found out last week from paediatrican during visit that I could have been giving J regular yoghurts all along, they contain no lactose as it is destroyed during processing, I used to give him the soya, J is on a regular diet now, the intolerance seems to have disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Rose35 wrote: »
    Yellow Hen, i found out last week from paediatrican during visit that I could have been giving J regular yoghurts all along, they contain no lactose as it is destroyed during processing, I used to give him the soya, J is on a regular diet now, the intolerance seems to have disappeared.

Really, that's really interesting. I tried him on glenisk baby yogurt and he had terrible wind that night which is how his lactose sensitivity first presented itself. Ill try again in that case. Thanks.

Advertisement