Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Version Control / Team Work

Options
  • 19-11-2013 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi Folks,
    A quick question on Version Control/Project control etc…
    Just looking for some recommendations and if this scenario is possible:

I know there are a load of other forums about which VC one should use
    But here is my scenario - small team 2 or 3 developers all using visual studio
    Previously all working on separate projects so never an issue
    Looking at possible larger project where 2 to 3 developers will need work on the one project
    (Not the same forms or pages but same project)

Correct me if I’m wrong but I had a quick look at Team Foundation and it seems to be too big a product?

Can anyone recommend a quick an easy one to get up and running
    (and quick to learn) that allows multiple developers to work on a project at the same time?
    Obviously accessing the project from a shared location you would get errors saying project modified outside of environment etc…

Don't need project management tools/scheduler - just something to manage the project/version control/ and to make sure all changes are not lost between developers etc.

Thanking you in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Git or Mercurial. I lurrrrv Mercurial myself. Take a look at http://hginit.com/

Then there's TortoiseHg for Windows shell integration.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Snookered wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Previously all working on separate projects so never an issue

Even if everyone is working on their own stuff you should still use VC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

I'd go with Subversion personally, I find Git and Mercurial overkill for small teams. Its always left me with the feeling of being overly complex for such scenarios.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'm a huge Mercurial fan. Never mind overkill for a small team; I often use it to version control a single file that I'm the only person working on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Talisman

Use Git or Mercurial, there are plenty of clients available for Windows.

If you need remote hosting try BitBucket, it's free for five users.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Only used SVN much really, is grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Didn't realise there were so many Mercurial fans, thought I was in a very small minority :)

I use Mercurial with TortoiseHG on Windows, with a BitBucket repo. I don't find it overkill, suits the small projects I work on, works with others when needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Trojan wrote: »
    Didn't realise there were so many Mercurial fans, thought I was in a very small minority :)

I use Mercurial with TortoiseHG on Windows, with a BitBucket repo. I don't find it overkill, suits the small projects I work on, works with others when needed.

I'd imagine at least part of the reason because bitbucket allows private repositories and used mercurial by default but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Fussgangerzone

I've used both Git and SVN, and I found it easier to get into Git, but it was a year or two after I'd started using SVN, so I was hopefully a little wiser!

I find Bitbucket great, makes setting up a repo mad easy, whatever system you go with.

I also agree with those saying that you should always use vcs, especially hosted vcs, even on your own. It's saved my bum on a few occasions. I was burgled, laptop gone. Missed a day of work, the rest was in Bitbucket.

You can avoid nightmares like this one

matrim wrote: »
    I'd imagine at least part of the reason because bitbucket allows private repositories and used mercurial by default but I could be wrong.

Yeah that's one of the big drivers I think, the github public repo thing is very irritating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Trojan wrote: »

Yeah I was the same. Good combination and easy to use.

Only reason I changed is because Team Foundation Services is free and you get integration baked in with Visual Studio. I'd still be used Mercurial & Tortoise HG otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Perforce 4 lyfe yo...
    the horror....

OP: What kind of stone age setup do you have there? I suppose there is no continuous integration either? Are you still using visual basic or something?

srsly78 wrote: »
    Perforce 4 lyfe yo...
    the horror....

OP: What kind of stone age setup do you have there? I suppose there is no continuous integration either? Are you still using visual basic or something?

Is it that bad? I'm currently battling with using Mercurial with Unity3D development. Perforce has been suggested by several people as it is billed as the defacto source control for game development.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I was introduced to Perforce only recently in my last job, it has been used by many large companies since the 90s.

It is actually very good, and robust etc - however it's a ****ing nightmare for a new user. I had been using SVN etc for a looong time, so I thought I knew my stuff.... However, for perforce even the most trivial operation requires a complex "workspace mapping" to be setup. Once you get your head around this it makes sense, but it seems like massive overkill for most simple stuff.

So, if you are a megacorp working on a multiplatform megaproject with 1000 developers - then Perforce might be the way to go. However for everyone else it's a load of balls :) Use svn or git instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

There are worse things than perforce out there, but I wouldn't recommend them either :D

For the described project, SVN should be enough, but I'm a Mercurial fan myself. Basicly, do any of the developers work outside of the office at all? If no, SVN; if yes, Mercurial (so they can work even if the internet craps out on them at home).

Advertisement