Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Cake Recipe - with a twist!

Options
  • 19-11-2013 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm going to attempt to make my very first Christmas cake this coming weekend **excited** :P

I'm intrigued to hear if there is any variations on the traditional Christmas cake recipe that anyone has tried?:rolleyes:

Would anyone care to share their christmas cake recipes..:confused::D...i'm open to all recipes! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

Try this one.

http://letters.cookingisfun.ie/2008/11/08/christmas-baking/

It is Darina/Mertel Allen's one. It is your classic old christmas cake recipe that everyone grew up with and in my opinion it is not a Christmas cake if it goes too far from this. In this one Darina's "twist" is that she only uses Almond paste and then bakes that again to finish the cake (no royal icing). There is a picture of it in the Ballymaloe cook book and it looks nice but personally I want the whole thing with white icing and decorations.

This is actually a little late to bake the cake so get it done ASAP. Then start pouring a couple of caps of whiskey over it every few days to keep it "moist".

Nothing like a home made christmas cake with home made almond paste and icing. Even it it isn't perfect it is still infinately better than the mass produced ones you get in shops.

Advertisement