Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body & Soul Festival 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

.ak wrote: »
    My mate was running Hidden Agenda @ Reckless in Love stage was told by the organisers on the Sunday that music would be stopped at 2am. So either there was a misprint on the timetable, or somebody changed their mind at some point.

Tell your mate I said great work!literally danced from the first dj in the afternoon to the samba World Cup sing 11hours later
    There was a really great dj playing gorgeous stuff in the afternoon, young looking chap. Loved him, must check out the timetable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Just went down the Sunday myself. Really enjoyed it.
    Highlights were Shabazz Palaces and Cairbou for me..and the weather!

14312529999_39c96aef22_c.jpgBody & Soul 2014 by phealy1982, on Flickr

14312528899_62703b1553_c.jpgYou can call me Al at the Main Stage by phealy1982, on Flickr

14497953752_611f6b6420_c.jpgMidnight Circus @ Body & Soul by phealy1982, on Flickr

14495742291_bf947cd1ba_c.jpgBody & Soul by phealy1982, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Rfrip wrote: »
    Tell your mate I said great work!literally danced from the first dj in the afternoon to the samba World Cup sing 11hours later
    There was a really great dj playing gorgeous stuff in the afternoon, young looking chap. Loved him, must check out the timetable

Colin Devine? About 8pm?

Yeah the samba de jenerio moment was a highlight of the weekend for me.

Colin Devine? About 8pm?

Yeah the samba de jenerio moment was a highlight of the weekend for me.

Just soundclouded him there, yep that's him, gorgeous stuff .he walked past me after it and I made sure to tell him!poor guy prob just wanted to get away!!..but f in hell that was 8pm!!!!!i would have said four or five!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Absolute gem. In the thick of it on Sunday night it was extra special, myself and my mate were trying to make our way to the reckless area and it caught our ear, we had to go in and check it out, like a siren call us ashore! Haha. Serious tune.

So many tunes out of the Jook Joint i wanna hear again just dunno where to find them , especially from saturday around 3am last year.

• Advertisement

Just soundclouded him there, yep that's him, gorgeous stuff .he walked past me after it and I made sure to tell him!poor guy prob just wanted to get away!!..but f in hell that was 8pm!!!!!i would have said four or five!!!!

Would be one of my best mates, we used to DJ together. One of the nicest people I know. He's really come into his own in the last couple of years too, it's rare that you see an Irish festival or major event without his name on it. Think he's playing longitude next. Never puts a foot wrong on the decks.

lbj666 wrote: »
    So many tunes out of the Jook Joint i wanna hear again just dunno where to find them , especially from saturday around 3am last year.

Yeah totally, I literally found myself wandering into there when I had other places to be just because the tunes were so good!

Would be one of my best mates, we used to DJ together. One of the nicest people I know. He's really come into his own in the last couple of years too, it's rare that you see an Irish festival or major event without his name on it. Think he's playing longitude next. Never puts a foot wrong on the decks.

Ah cool, no one wanted him to stop!he teased us for a bit and then gave us another tune!loved him

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

i would always keep coming back to here through the weekend.
    dsc_2722.jpg

Tom Vek entertaining the sun seekers.
    dsc_2704.jpg

Putting the finishing touches on Thursday Pre-Fest.
    dsc_2621.jpg

Friday night at the Reckless in love stage.
    dsc_2689.jpg

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Can a moderator make my jpegs smaller, the last ones I posted were a smaller size, these ones are massive.

• Advertisement

The more I think about it the more I realise I actually spent so little time at the main stage and main part!

That was reckless in love?! I had no idea. I spent most of my weekend under the chandelier there. After being disappointed from Jon Hopkins, they played his tunes there soon after and made up for it

That was reckless in love?! I had no idea. I spent most of my weekend under the chandelier there. After being disappointed from Jon Hopkins, they played his tunes there soon after and made up for it

Just curious what did you not like about Hopkins performance, I thought it was as good as last years, it was just more uncomfortably packed, but didn't feel anymore different really. Did you find the video back screen off putting, he still does the same thing with the kaoss pads and all, was it the sound?

How do I make the photos I posted smaller?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Just curious what did you not like about Hopkins performance, I thought it was as good as last years, it was just more uncomfortably packed, but didn't feel anymore different really. Did you find the video back screen off putting, he still does the same thing with the kaoss pads and all, was it the sound?

I thought the sound was a bit off but i was dancing on tables down the back last year so maybe it was where i was.
    I think the surprise factor and less hype from last year had a lot to do with a lot of people thinking it was better. Except for the last 15 minutes the sets were almost identical.Its very similar to the album order and the boiler room set he did which i have listened to endlessly over the past year. To be fair it is an incredible mix and hard to be topped but i think may people expected some new tricks including me. Collider seemed to go on for ever too.

lbj666 wrote: »
    I thought the sound was a bit off but i was dancing on tables down the back last year so maybe it was where i was.
    I think the surprise factor and less hype from last year had a lot to do with a lot of people thinking it was better. Except for the last 15 minutes the sets were almost identical.Its very similar to the album order and the boiler room set he did which i have listened to endlessly over the past year. To be fair it is an incredible mix and hard to be topped but i think may people expected some new tricks including me. Collider seemed to go on for ever too.

He did play some newer material three quarters of the way through the set, kinda similar to We Disappear, scrunchy sonic stuff and kicking too, but I suppose he is still touring Immunity. It would be interesting if he done a standalone show in Dublin, the material would be a bit more varied.

This was the track I think he dropped later, this is from Sonar festival in Spain.

I was just by the entrance to the tent so I was very far back. The sound seemed off as someone else mentioned. Also he was the act I was most looking forward to so my expectations were too high. My friends weren't mad for it so we moved on. I probably only caught 15 mins of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I think every festival I've ever been to, the only stories of "knackers and scumbags robbing tents" I come across, seems to be on here. You lads have some seriously ****ty luck

Is it only a week since Body & Soul?

Is it only a week since Body & Soul?

Basically spent the whole weekend wishing it was last wkend

• Advertisement

Arcade Fire eased the comedown

Arcade Fire eased the comedown

It pains me that I can't go to everything

I thought the sound for Hopkins was absolutely perfect. It had a studio clarity to it. But then again, I was about 5 people away from the front, right in the centre. We were lucky and got in early. Also his music kinda suits the-uncomfortably-packed situations so I honestly didn't mind being jammed up the front.

The visuals were intense, with some weirdly suggestive material of sexual violence. Oddly enough only a couple of us from our group noticed it though.

Intense is definitely the best word to sum up the set. But he was definitely my 2nd favourite act of the weekend... Caribou topped it, they really nailed down their live set since the last time I saw them. The live version of Sun was mindblowing.

I thought the sound for Hopkins was absolutely perfect. It had a studio clarity to it. But then again, I was about 5 people away from the front, right in the centre. We were lucky and got in early. Also his music kinda suits the-uncomfortably-packed situations so I honestly didn't mind being jammed up the front.

The visuals were intense, with some weirdly suggestive material of sexual violence. Oddly enough only a couple of us from our group noticed it though.

Intense is definitely the best word to sum up the set. But he was definitely my 2nd favourite act of the weekend... Caribou topped it, they really nailed down their live set since the last time I saw them. The live version of Sun was mindblowing.

I'm obsessed with the new one, can't do without

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Hoochiemama

Caribou topped it, they really nailed down their live set since the last time I saw them. The live version of Sun was mindblowing.

Definitely. Mind- fuking- blowing. It was one of those close your eyes and be transported to another realm moments!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Hoochiemama

I'm obsessed with the new one, can't do without

When I heard it first, I literally had it on repeat for about 3 days. The man is a genius. His talent for layering and layering songs until your heart is about to explode is amazing

dulux99 wrote: »
    I think every festival I've ever been to, the only stories of "knackers and scumbags robbing tents" I come across, seems to be on here. You lads have some seriously ****ty luck

As the Rap Scallions sing 'What you on about?' Seriously I haven't seen any complaints so far on this thread about knackers and scumbags, a bit a vandalism maybe, but thats it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭pmalone

After about a week when the dust has settled, I was just thinking last night about what set at this festival had the greatest lasting effect on me.

So apart form the obvious (John Grant, Gary Numan, Jon Hopkins, Caribou), two acts stood out for me, Slow Magic on the Friday was great .. but the absolute top set of the weekend for me had to be from East India Youth, despite the sound problems at the start. I went to this hoping that this guy could represent his recent album live and I was not disappointed. Stunning set, especially the finale, Hinterland ... brilliant it was. Surpassed all hopes and expectations. Hope to see him again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭breakfasttime

pmalone wrote: »
    After about a week when the dust has settled, I was just thinking last night about what set at this festival had the greatest lasting effect on me.

So apart form the obvious (John Grant, Gary Numan, Jon Hopkins, Caribou), two acts stood out for me, Slow Magic on the Friday was great .. but the absolute top set of the weekend for me had to be from East India Youth, despite the sound problems at the start. I went to this hoping that this guy could represent his recent album live and I was not disappointed. Stunning set, especially the finale, Hinterland ... brilliant it was. Surpassed all hopes and expectations. Hope to see him again soon.

Yeah I saw east youth india when he opened for wild beasts not too long ago. I wasn't familiar with him at all before the gig and he blew me away. Set was paced amazing as well, quite slow and chilled the begin and crazy by the end! Looking forward to seeing him again live.

• Advertisement

Just another one of my daft questions, was there actually a merchandise stall this year, was there an official Body & Soul festival t shirt / sweat shirt?

Advertisement