Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body & Soul Festival 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

I'm assuming James Holden will be playing LIVE? Hope so...
    Need to soak this sh!t up:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Anyone working the pre-fest and heading from Galway to Ballinlough on the 15th or 16th June, will chip in for fuel costs and the craic. On another note I thoroughly enjoyed Life and the Lakeside area, I hope Body&Soul open up their lakeside this year and have a nice stage placed there. They shouldn't advertise a lakeside at their festival if they are going to close it off like last year.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

I remember raving about this guy in some forum in 2008 when he was announced for Life Festival and man, that was an amazing gig with Finlay Quaye the other reggae headliner. I missed him two years ago at the Picnic but got the other half that was Lee Scratch Perry. So Max Romeo will be a perfect early Sunday evening act, I bet you some of my poor friends will have to do sets in the Port Royal which will clash with him, they missed the Congos last year due to having to play a tent themselves. Anyway check out Max Romeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 seegee

Anyone heading back to Dublin on the Saturday evening? Need to catch a flight so looking for a lift, or to share a taxi alternatively! Any advice/help would be much appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

As we get into June, really starting to get impatient for this to roll around. A few questions buzzing round my head so thought I'd see see if anyone would care to speculate on answers or perhaps knew more than I did (which would not be hard)

1) Any more acts to be announced for Main Stage or Midnight Circus?
    I suspect not but would love a biggish name act to be announced and lined up for Friday night @ the Circus ...

... which leads into Question No...

2) What will Friday night involve this year?
    I expect same as last year - Main Stage closed, Midnight Circus with a few acts on & plenty of fun to be had at the smaller stages like Reckless in Love. If that is the case, who do we expect to be on in the Circus? With the exception of DarkSide, most of what I'd consider to be the main contenders appear to be down for either the Saturday or the Sunday (note: some educated guessing based on googling tour dates going on here). Dark Side are great and all, but would like something a bit more up-tempo to get the festive spirits roused on the first night!

3) What/Where is the Good Times Lounge which has been announced (hosting Comedy, Music and other happenings...)?
    I don't remember this from last year so is it new? My first BnS was two years ago and I remember a fairly large indoor bar area that had the odd gig / dj set. I think it then got replaced last year - perhaps by the outdoor Wonderlust stage. For me, this was a step backwards as it meant the loss of a cosy and warm place to grab a beer / have a bop etc. Aside from Midnight Circus, I don't remember any fairly large indoor areas serving booze last year - did I miss something??? Anyhow, would be great if this Good Times Lounge was a return to having a decent-sized indoor area to chill out / have a beer / enjoy some low-key gig/dj set/happening... Anyone know anything about it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

any B&Bs around the area. im not liking this weather haha

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    any B&Bs around the area. im not liking this weather haha
    Saturday gone was a belter of a day...?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

kormak wrote: »
    Saturday gone was a belter of a day...?!

that doesn't mean every Saturday wil be tho ha. about 3 days in last month hve been sunny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 ciansheehy

Would the Bus Eireann 111 which gets you to Athboy be close to the campsite?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Getting tempted to buy a ticket for this if I can find anyone to come with me. A lot of acts I would like to check out but none that I am dying to see, but just after hearing about the 'Reckless in Love' area which sounds like it will be a lot of fun. How big is this festival in comparison to others? What kind of age crowd attend? Don't know many heading myself so assuming it could be a slightly older crowd.

Getting tempted to buy a ticket for this if I can find anyone to come with me. A lot of acts I would like to check out but none that I am dying to see, but just after hearing about the 'Reckless in Love' area which sounds like it will be a lot of fun. How big is this festival in comparison to others? What kind of age crowd attend? Don't know many heading myself so assuming it could be a slightly older crowd.

Have a read at this, give it a few minutes to load, my review from last year should give you a rough idea what to expect but they will change it around each year trying some of the stages in different areas like Life Festival. Enjoy http://niallmcquaid.wordpress.com/2013/07/03/review-body-soul-festival-2013/.

well impressed with this, looking forward to seeing this guy.

kormak wrote: »
    I'm assuming James Holden will be playing LIVE? Hope so...
    Need to soak this sh!t up:

James Holden, this guy is going to be amazing, Lump is one of the best things ever I've heard since Jon Hopkins Open Eye Signal and Collider and the Nicholas Jaar stuff. Does he still drop Lump in his sets, I presume that this is his tour de force track to some extent. Its a monster of a track along with the album the Idiots are Winning from 2006, seemingly his only album, he mostly just releases EPs and appears on numerous compilations.

Anyone working the build, decor or stages, advanced volunteer stewards, if your heading down to Ballinlough from Galway on either 15th or 16th June and you have room in your car, please give me a shout, will chip in for fuel, munchies and the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ConConKing

Getting excited now, only two weeks left. But 11 days work to get through before that! It can't come quick enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

New Caribou album. I can only find the one track though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭pmalone

Grimebox wrote: »
    New Caribou album. I can only find the one track though

album is not out until October

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Love that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭pmalone

James Holden, this guy is going to be amazing, Lump is one of the best things ever I've heard since Jon Hopkins Open Eye Signal and Collider and the Nicholas Jaar stuff. Does he still drop Lump in his sets, I presume that this is his tour de force track to some extent. Its a monster of a track along with the album the Idiots are Winning from 2006, seemingly his only album, he mostly just releases EPs and appears on numerous compilations.

He also has an album from 2013 called "The Inheritors"

Maybe I am just getting old, but for the most part, I just don't get James Holden ... much more experimental than John Hopkins or Nicholas Jaar, both of whom I enjoy.
    Holden just doesn't excite me and I know for sure that if I drag my better half along to this set I will get a look that says "wtf are we doing here?"

Having said all of that, I love that Blackpool Late Eighties track of his. Very BoC-ish. Lump as you mention is also a cracking tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭garrkell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

ciansheehy wrote: »
    Would the Bus Eireann 111 which gets you to Athboy be close to the campsite?

It would appear that bus will take you to Delvin, leaving you about 6km from the festival. I'm sure you could thumb a lift the rest of the way!

garrkell wrote: »

It must've been a showcase hence the ending of some tracks, he left out Insides and didn't go into Collider, I hope the live set is the same as last year, I'm not too keen in the Purity Ring vocals he is using, I prefer the Immunity original, still looking forward to this.

pmalone wrote: »
    He also has an album from 2013 called "The Inheritors"

Maybe I am just getting old, but for the most part, I just don't get James Holden ... much more experimental than John Hopkins or Nicholas Jaar, both of whom I enjoy.
    Holden just doesn't excite me and I know for sure that if I drag my better half along to this set I will get a look that says "wtf are we doing here?"

Having said all of that, I love that Blackpool Late Eighties track of his. Very BoC-ish. Lump as you mention is also a cracking tune.

I suppose I'm just discovering him, I like his ambient stuff too, downloaded the Inheritors the other night and I could listen to stuff like The Illuminations all night, he does some really nice chill out sounds with old analogue synthesizers kinda like the track I mentioned.

I wrote a wee preview piece about the festival with some clips of the acts featured, hope ya enjoy and it gets ya in the mood. http://niallmcquaid.wordpress.com/2014/06/07/body-soul-festival-2014-a-feast-of-sounds-to-come/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I wrote a wee preview piece about the festival with some clips of the acts featured, hope ya enjoy and it gets ya in the mood. http://niallmcquaid.wordpress.com/2014/06/07/body-soul-festival-2014-a-feast-of-sounds-to-come/

Brill! I'm wishing away the days and that just got me into excitement overload

• Registered Users Posts: 3 picador

I have to work Friday and Monday in Shannon, and was wondering if anyone going in the same direction is driving up on Friday evening and coming back on Sunday night? Alternatively, does anyone know of a bus that might suit? I've looked up loads of buses but none of them run late enough. Any help would be much appreciated, I'm getting a bit desperate at this stage...

picador wrote: »
    I have to work Friday and Monday in Shannon, and was wondering if anyone going in the same direction is driving up on Friday evening and coming back on Sunday night? Alternatively, does anyone know of a bus that might suit? I've looked up loads of buses but none of them run late enough. Any help would be much appreciated, I'm getting a bit desperate at this stage...

If you are on Facebook there is a few festival carpooling groups you could try, Irish Festival Carpooling,
    Festival Hopping.

And there is a carpooling website you can use called Getting There.ie as well, hopefully this will widen your chances a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Just realised I got family camping tickets! With all the options on TM site, I went for the wrong one. Anyone ever had to swap these for standard camping?

Advertisement