Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body & Soul Festival 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

There is going to be an interesting stage this year at the Pagoda stage, Generic People are hosting Plug n Play sessions at the stage, whether you are a musician, novice DJ or electronic music geek, you can plug in your laptop or whatever into the sound system, there will be a dedicated sound engineer who will help set up your equipment and help mix up or mash up your sound creating a spontaneous piece of music. So a kinda Do it yourself DJ stage, which could span some interesting results and some cool music.

https://www.facebook.com/events/492347637564804/?fref=ts

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Bunch of names have been added to the line-up in the Music section of the official Body and Soul website. Mostly Irish electronic acts/DJs for the Midnight Circus line-up or Wonderlust. List of the Midnight Circus additions below...

Stevie G presents: The Deep South Soul Sound System
    Neil Flynn & Omar
    110th Street
    Rootical Sound System
    Colman Buckley
    Shane Mannion
    Shane Linehan

Go here to see the full list of acts on the official site plus some PR blurb about them.

Anyone got any recommendations for me on the lesser-known acts playing the festival, either DJs or bands?

Listening to this Shane Linehan mix at the moment and thinking he'd definitely be one to try and catch.

Thoughts anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Just realised I got family camping tickets! With all the options on TM site, I went for the wrong one. Anyone ever had to swap these for standard camping?

Maybe put it up on the Body&Soul facebook page?

I'm pretty sure that I've seen a few posts from parents who mistakenly bought standard camping tickets, and would probably be delighted to swap with you for a family camping. I'd imagine dealing with ticketmaster would be a pain in the ass to do the swap, not even sure if they will do it...........

It's getting close now lads, better start doing the sun dance:cool:

Anyone got any recommendations for me on the lesser-known acts playing the festival, either DJs or bands?

Listening to this Shane Linehan mix at the moment and thinking he'd definitely be one to try and catch.

Thoughts anyone?

Well heres a clip of Shane Mannion that I took last year.

• Advertisement

Alternate versions of Open Eye Signal and We Disappear that Jon Hopkins did for BBC 6 in late November last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Are those weird rules about bringing in booze from last year, still in place this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

http://bodyandsoul.ie/faqs/
    There will be ample bars at the festival selling drinks at reasonable prices, one of the revenue streams we rely on to fund the festival. However, festival-goers are permitted to bring a personal allocation of their own alcohol into the festival, personal quota as follows:

24 cans of beer/ cider and 2 bottles of wine per person(no glass permitted onsite)
    or
    1 bottle (750 ml) of spirits and 2 bottles of wine per person.(no glass permitted onsite)

Your allocation must be brought into the festival at time of first entry. If you leave the festival grounds alcohol will not be permitted on re-entry. Families entering the festival at any time with sealed plastic bottles or cartons of fluids for their children will be permitted.

FREE-FLOW
    There will be no further searches once you have been admitted to the festival. Liquids of any sort, alcoholic or non-alcoholic, can be brought wherever you wish, whenever you wish. Do note, however, that no glass containers are permitted on site whatsoever but decanting services are available at the main entrance where 1 litre plastic bottles are available for €1.00.

There are also free water points throughout the site.

Sunday ticket holders are not permitted to bring alcohol into the festival site.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭useded

Does anybody know if buses will be running from Dublin at 8pm on Friday or is that too late?

Trenchtown will be hosting the Port Royal Jamaican Village for this year, the line up features: Cian Finn, Dirty Dubsters & RiRa, Worries Outernational, Junior Spesh, Johnny Pluse & the Stormtroopers of Love, Lionheart, OI OI Soundsystem, Will Softly, Aunty Shimmy, Miss Scotty, BiBa Ewa, DJ Kali, Judge Mental, Ras Tinny, Carlos Irie, Tom Beary and Irie Ireland Crew.
    https://www.facebook.com/events/449645738513664/?fref=ts

1486895_311223399042085_5968732496496084366_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭roll

will the day to day breakdown be out this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

dulux99 wrote: »
    Are those weird rules about bringing in booze from last year, still in place this year?

Yeah they are and it's a shame. I'm seriously considering voting with my feet and not going this year because it's blatantly about the money. Last year was a farce in that you couldn't even bring water into the campsite from your car after the second day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

On reading it there it's actually quite sound. A bottle of spirts and 24 cans which you can bring into the stages. If you're drinking more than that over 2/3 nights then you might have a bit of a problem.

Thomas D wrote: »
    On reading it there it's actually quite sound. A bottle of spirts and 24 cans which you can bring into the stages. If you're drinking more than that over 2/3 nights then you might have a bit of a problem.

It's not just nights though, it's days as well so I don't think it's excessive in the least.

By their own admission the bars are an important revenue stream so they've set the numbers knowing they'll make money off it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

John_Mc wrote: »
    It's not just nights though, it's days as well so I don't think it's excessive in the least.

By their own admission the bars are an important revenue stream so they've set the numbers knowing they'll make money off it.

Would you drink 24 cans in 24 hours? A bottle of spirits in 24 hours? You're only going to be upsetting an extreme element with those limitations which is fine by me. I think last year it was either cans or spirits and limited to the campsite which was mean.

Would you drink 24 cans in 24 hours? A bottle of spirits in 24 hours? You're only going to be upsetting an extreme element with those limitations which is fine by me. I think last year it was either cans or spirits and limited to the campsite which was mean.

I only drink beer, but I'd be short with 24 cans. Arrive Friday afternoon, sit in a field and drink, most people would be out of cans by Sunday and I don't think that's unreasonable.

It's 24 cans OR a bottle, not both.

You guys can't be serious. 24 cans is not nearly enough. Two bottles of wine over the whole weekend? They'd be gone the first night. I'm not going to deny it, I go to festivals to get messy and have a laugh. I will be sneaking booze in like last year and the year before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭RINO87

The idea of being that restricted is so so silly. One of the great things about festivals is to be able to crack a can or have a drop of whiskey at any time of the morning or evening, I dunno about anyone else but I work weekends and get very little chance to party, so when I do get to a festival I like to go a little nuts, being restricted makes my blood boil

Sounds like something my Mam would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

you mean 8 cans in 24hours, right? :confused:

i'd easily do 8 cans/pints on a normal night out, let alone a full day and night. one of my friends who is 6'4" and 15+ stone would drink way more than me.

instead of 24 cans you can bring 750ml of spirits (i'd love to know how they randomly chose these amounts btw). 750ml over 3 days is 250ml a day. spread that out over an afternoon and you wouldn't even be over the limit to drive a car that night.

for sitting around from midday it's nowhere near enough, not to mention going to stages with them for the night.......which is quite clearly the plan: people drink loads of their alcohol on the first night in the campsites and around the stages, and then have no choice but to spend money in the bars after that as they're running low and it's pretty hard to get alcohol in once you've entered for the first time.

why should everyone be subjected to a completely arbitrary limit on what they can legally consume? how did they decide that a 5ft 18 year old girl should be allowed the same amount of alcohol as a 6ft man in his 50s?
    will they enforce a limit on how much food people can bring next year?

no other major festival here has this daft rule limit. there is absolutely no reasoning behind it, and for the B&S organisers to hide behind "drinkaware.ie told us to do it" is pathetic.
    why not abolish the bars if they care so much about people's health/binge-drinking? :rolleyes:

it's so blatantly about making money, as seen from people not even being allowed to bring in unopened water or soft drinks last year, myself included.

the lack of alcohol doesn't actually make that big a difference to me, last year i took 24 cans and smuggled in spirits and brought some home. a few weeks back at Life festival i drank less than the B&S rules would have allowed me to bring. i don't particularly need it to have a good time, i've gone to plenty of gigs and not drank whatsoever.

what i don't like is B&S's bull****, both last year and this, and trying to portray themselves as some sort of magical wonderland while confiscating unopened soft drinks on a Sunday afternoon to force you to buy them inside, randomly imposing limits on alcohol and trying to pretend it's not for the sponsor's/trader's benefit.

as mentioned by John_Mc above, I actually am voting with my feet and giving it a miss this year. it's not my main reason for not going, but the money-grabbing actions by organisers, and general organisation contributing to the festival being a bit sh1t overall last year have definitely helped make my mind up to spend my money elsewhere this year.

• Advertisement

Sounds like something my Mam would say.

Fair enough.

However, I'm fairly certain the drinks policy is based on the festival being part funded by the money and sponsorship provided by the pay bars and drinks companies - not for anyone's personal health. The whole "drink aware" thing is just how the alcohol sponsors have something to say against the wider minimum booze pricing campaign which is slowly gathering steam in the wider debate on alcohol use in Ireland.

I think this year's policy is a reasonably good compromise if you make allowances for the fact that BnS need to at least break even to keep going - ideally they make a profit and are encouraged to continue to invest in a better festival each year (although hopefully they'll stay midsize and never be EP). The limits have stayed the same as last year but now once you get any booze past the main entrance, you can relax - the searches are over. This ends all hassle with security staff going into the main festival areas and makes it much simpler for people to drink their own booze during the day without being forced to hang around the campsite.

(Makes pledge to self: I will not post on here again on the drinks policy until after the festival)

The "open border" policy once you get in there is fantastic. Although this leads me to believe that security will be way tighter at the gate.

Grimebox wrote: »
    The "open border" policy once you get in there is fantastic. Although this leads me to believe that security will be way tighter at the gate.

I really really hope they don't search everyone at the gate... From what I can remember last year, it was quite relaxed.. I would genuinely be crushed if all I had to drink for the whole weekend was 24 cans

Also, the tiny drinks allowance is definitely going to encourage tent robbing.

Good point.

Good point.

Apart from the drink allowance its a great little festival, I'm on my way there on Sunday so working the prefest, if you are working or volunteering there you don't get that problem because the crew camp is connected to the arena, but you still get searched at the main campsite going into the arena again.

Fair enough.

I think this year's policy is a reasonably good compromise if you make allowances for the fact that BnS need to at least break even to keep going - ideally they make a profit and are encouraged to continue to invest in a better festival each year (although hopefully they'll stay midsize and never be EP). The limits have stayed the same as last year but now once you get any booze past the main entrance, you can relax - the searches are over. This ends all hassle with security staff going into the main festival areas and makes it much simpler for people to drink their own booze during the day without being forced to hang around the campsite.

I'm sorry but you pay for your ticket to cover these costs. The festival is also sponsored, and makes money from the vendors selling food and drink.

There's absolutely no reason why they need to introduce these restrictions when the ticket is €100-€150. The lineup is not exactly amazing so it can't be that expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Roudolph

Are there not drink restrictions at most festivals? Any festival I've been to, you are not allowed bring alcohol into the main arena. Also the last few electric picnics that I have been to, the number of slabs of beer that our group were bringing in was checked and counted by security. Each person could only bring in a certain quantity. While the limits may be lower for Body and Soul this year, there are limits at most festivals. Also I feel that the free flow at this years festival makes up for this lower limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

To be honest at ep I only ever bring a litre of vodka with me for the wkend and that does me perfectly for night time. I do spend a lot during the day on beers and mojitos. So really I'm delighted with the free flow side of it.
    Saying that I understand everyone's frustration on the restrictions.

Advertisement