Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body & Soul Festival 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

posie 1980 wrote: »
    There really should be a beer+spirits option too

That's literally exactly what I want to bring. One crate and one bottle of spirits.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 posie 1980

Grimebox wrote: »
    That's literally exactly what I want to bring. One crate and one bottle of spirits.

I'll be bringing just a bottle of wine and some beers this yr as I'll have my 9 yr old with me but every other festival, that's what I'd bring. Rum and a tray of beers. Happy days :) it doesn't take much creativity to make sure that happens though

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Apparently there'll be some music on as well over the weekend. I can neither confirm nor deny rumours that festival goers will be allowed to bring in the following when they first enter:

a) an acoustic guitar and two harmonicas
    OR
    b) a banjo and two harmonicas

and its full body searches for any sign of musicality on all further trips in and out.

Any spoons other than plastic will be confiscated if found on or in your person if not declared on first entering the festival. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

In other news, line-up for Hidden Agenda @ Reckless in Love on the Sunday is out...

Kind of interested in checking out Eoin Cregan (the man behind BodyTonic/Twisted Pepper afaik) Djing @ 6pm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

posie 1980 wrote: »
    There really should be a beer+spirits option too

But that would be all the drink a lot of people want to bring in for the weekend, and they don't want that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 posie 1980

nm wrote: »
    But that would be all the drink a lot of people want to bring in for the weekend, and they don't want that.

Yep :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The alcohol debate is getting a bit tiresome. Back to the music, found this clip of the last time Gary Numan played an Irish festival at EP 2006, he has fairly beefed up the sound these days with a bit of metal thrown in. Back in the New Romantic early 80s he looked more influenced by the Kraftwerk thing, Ultravox with John Fox and the David Bowie Berlin period with his dark suits and android appearance.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Any essential listening of his? Literally down know any of his stuff outside of Cars

It depends if you are into that synth rock pop, like Tubeway Army (Gary Numan's first group) and Ultravox were influenced by Kraftwerk and all things Kraut Rock. So a lot of the earlier stuff is synth heavy, they are right into these analog synthesizers.

They are a bit posy in this one but I suppose they just had their first hit.

John Foxx fomerly of Ultravox is another example of an android singing and playing the synths.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Frack

Delighted to see the "free flow" policy this year and am really looking forward to Darkside and Caribou. See ya'll down there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Just went looking for my tent earlier, and hav'nt got a notion where I put it after Electric Picnic last year. Cannot find it anywhere, so it looks like I'll be buying a new one.

I see aldi have an offer on Thurs of 2man pop up for €25, or a 3man dome tent for €30. Has anybody here used one of these tents and would recommend them? They just seem so cheap! I have a feeling the quality may not be very good for that price. Can anybody advise?

Also, with regards drink, I'm bringing a slab of cider and 2 bottles of buckfast (poured into 2ltr plastic water bottle). I'm probably gonna be over the alcohol limit, but feck it. If security search me, they can keep the cider, but they'll have to pry the buckfast from my cold, dead hands;-)

• Advertisement

Just went looking for my tent earlier, and hav'nt got a notion where I put it after Electric Picnic last year. Cannot find it anywhere, so it looks like I'll be buying a new one.

I see aldi have an offer on Thurs of 2man pop up for €25, or a 3man dome tent for €30. Has anybody here used one of these tents and would recommend them? They just seem so cheap! I have a feeling the quality may not be very good for that price. Can anybody advise?

Also, with regards drink, I'm bringing a slab of cider and 2 bottles of buckfast (poured into 2ltr plastic water bottle). I'm probably gonna be over the alcohol limit, but feck it. If security search me, they can keep the cider, but they'll have to pry the buckfast from my cold, dead hands;-)

It should be grand it would be classed as two bottles of wine, regardless of the strength.

It should be grand it would be classed as two bottles of wine, regardless of the strength.

Purple dye in vodka. Problem solved

Shane Linehan has put a Body and Soul Warm Up mix on Soundcloud that has further whetted my appetite for his set. Really hoping he has some kind of late-ish slot that doesn't clash with any of the names I really want to see...

Darkside and Jon Hopkins are the must-see acts for the weekend for me, but looking forward to lots of stuff. Mount Kimbie, Caribou, Of Montreal, Shabazz Palaces, The Field, John Grant and also lots of other acts I don't know much about but am interested in checking out.

Schedule details apparently coming out this week. Bound to be some clashes - hopefully nothing too dreadful though! I reckon I'll be very lucky if John Grant on the main stage isn't clashing with an act I really want to see in the Midnight Circus.

We'll know soon I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

can't see that on the Aldi site, but i got a 3man from Lidl last year for €35 and was absolutely fine for several festivals, including one where it lashed down for 12+ hours. proper porch part in the front and enough room inside for a double-airbed and a few bags. think it had a hydrostatic head of 2000mm.

as long as it's double-skinned, and has a hydrostatic head of more than 1500mm, it should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Griff77

All this talk of drink allowance etc has me thinking, are there any good deals for slabs at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Boxcutter

Booked seats online with a private bus (Kelly's travel) going from limerick city a week ago for 40e return and got a call from them today saying myself and my girlfriend are the only ones on it so it probably won't run! Said they need 15 or so for it to go. Crazy that we are the only people that have booked this.

Anyone have an alternative idea or us to get up to the festival? Not sure where to look for a bus eireann bus too. Really don't want to travel to dub just to get a bus down from there to the festival like.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Griff77 wrote: »
    All this talk of drink allowance etc has me thinking, are there any good deals for slabs at the moment?

A few Tescos are doing 24 cans for 24 beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Boxcutter wrote: »
    Booked seats online with a private bus (Kelly's travel) going from limerick city a week ago for 40e return and got a call from them today saying myself and my girlfriend are the only ones on it so it probably won't run! Said they need 15 or so for it to go. Crazy that we are the only people that have booked this.

Anyone have an alternative idea or us to get up to the festival? Not sure where to look for a bus eireann bus too. Really don't want to travel to dub just to get a bus down from there to the festival like.

Thanks

http://www.carpool.ie/

You'll find something for B&S.

Any lifts or car shares going to Body & Soul in Ballinlough from Galway on Saturday 14th or early on Sunday 15th as I have to be onsite for 11am, will chip in for fuel costs and the craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

sorry if this has been asked before but will they show world cup matches there?

Dr. Bre wrote: »

I really, really doubt it. There has been sporting events on during the previous years (Lions tour) and they had a policy of not showing anything, because if they show one event then they would be obliged to show other events. They also said that it draws the wrong kind of crowd and is somewhat against the ethos of b&s. World Cup could be different though since it is far more accessible than any other sporting event.

Grimebox wrote: »
    I really, really doubt it. There has been sporting events on during the previous years (Lions tour) and they had a policy of not showing anything, because if they show one event then they would be obliged to show other events. They also said that it draws the wrong kind of crowd and is somewhat against the ethos of b&s. World Cup could be different though since it is far more accessible than any other sporting event.

One of the stall holders there might have a small telly, I wouldn't be surprised or maybe a radio with the broadcast.

Dr. Bre wrote: »

I very very doubt it, and I agree with that despite being a soccer fan (not a fanatic but I'm fairly certain to watch at least one match every day for the duration of the tournament, aside from BnS).

You could argue for an exception if there was an Ireland World Cup match on, as that genuinely is a bit of a national event, but there isn't.

On a tangentially similar "kills the vibe" tip, is this the first year of day tickets for the Sunday or did they have them last year ( memory fading in my old age)?

Doesn't really bother me I guess... Glad there's no Saturday ticket only option tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

they certainly had Sunday tickets in 2012 anyway as friends of mine came down for the day.

Life festival had the Champions League final showing in one of the bar tents. don't know how many went to watch it, but it certainly didn't affect the "vibe" whatsoever. the WC games over next weekend aren't exactly must-sees anyway.

the WC games over next weekend aren't exactly must-sees anyway.

True that. Avril clearly threw a few quid Sepp's way to sort that out. Good to see the money from the drink sponsors is being well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Any lifts or car shares going to Body & Soul in Ballinlough from Galway on Saturday 14th or early on Sunday 15th as I have to be onsite for 11am, will chip in for fuel costs and the craic.

There's a guy from Galway on FestHive driving up early Monday to start his shift at 8am - maybe you could rearrange your shifts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Is there a day by day breakdown out for this yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭RINO87

Boxcutter wrote: »

Thanks

Where did you find that bus? Myself and three friends had planned driving but I ran into a bit of car trouble tonight on the way back from Dublin, there are more of my mate's planning on driving too. 40 bucks is pretty steep tho, I mean fill a car and 10 to 15 quid each would easily get you there and back with change!! Price might be putting people off.

• Advertisement

UsedToWait wrote: »
    There's a guy from Galway on FestHive driving up early Monday to start his shift at 8am - maybe you could rearrange your shifts?

I wish I could but I'm down for Sunday till Tuesday, so have to be there for Sunday morning. It looks like I might have to get the citylink commuter from Galway to Athlone, either catch the connection with BE then to Mullingar or hitch from Athlone to Delvin which is 6 km from the festival site. The stupid thing is that this once a day BE service does go to Delvin but on Fridays only, how stupid is that.

Advertisement