Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting solid 10mb speeds and fibre will bring me 15mb??Wtf?

• 19-11-2013 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭

Hi.Im living in Kildare town about 1.5km from the exchange and decided to call eircom regarding fibre as my friends mentioned its up and running.Im getting a solid 10mb speed at the mo with no drop in speeds anytime.When I rang eircom about the fibre upgrade I was told my line can handle 15mb?Whats all the fuss about for an extra 5mb?Thats up to 15 so basically ill probably jump 3 mb.Not worth the extra 18 month contract I think.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

giggsy07 wrote: »
    Hi.Im living in Kildare town about 1.5km from the exchange and decided to call eircom regarding fibre as my friends mentioned its up and running.Im getting a solid 10mb speed at the mo with no drop in speeds anytime.When I rang eircom about the fibre upgrade I was told my line can handle 15mb?Whats all the fuss about for an extra 5mb?Thats up to 15 so basically ill probably jump 3 mb.Not worth the extra 18 month contract I think.

Couple of misconceptions here...
    There is no fibre product as such it's really just fibre to the cabinet and copper from that cabinet to you.
    So if you are far from a cabinet you won't see much of an improvement.

You can see where the crowd-sourced cabinets are on this map: https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?docid=1M_lYcvMkt7xIqqSa43TdS1s25oRqtA2JgpxAkYM#map:id=4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭giggsy07

bealtine wrote: »
    Couple of misconceptions here...
    There is no fibre product as such it's really just fibre to the cabinet and copper from that cabinet to you.
    So if you are far from a cabinet you won't see much of an improvement.

You can see where the crowd-sourced cabinets are on this map: https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?docid=1M_lYcvMkt7xIqqSa43TdS1s25oRqtA2JgpxAkYM#map:id=4

No misconception there's a cab half a mile from me maybe less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Sent you a PM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Half a mile? That might as well be the length of Ireland in VDSL terms. You need under 1km to get any benefit. To get the full 70 you have to be within 200 meters of the cab.

Half a mile? That might as well be the length of Ireland in VDSL terms. You need under 1km to get any benefit. To get the full 70 you have to be within 200 meters of the cab.

Sh1t:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

So at 800 Metres you'll get about 20 down/2.5-10 up so Voda were right...

That was the point when I said the last run is still copper and NOT fibre

Thanks for the info.Gutted:(

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Thanks for the info.Gutted:(
    Even so, you should still have better upload speed than now, and maybe better pings also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

it might be half a mile as the crow flies but the cables dont run as the crow flies they travel along roads... there for the line may be more than half a mile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

im on vdsl with magnet and sit roughly 600m from my closest cabinet following roads from my door to cabinet, funny though tho if u follow the roads to the second closest cabinet thats roughly 1000m in google maps following roads and u have to pass the first one to get to the second one so im not really sure what one im connected to but my speeds are as follows, so u never know what you will get

Line Rate (Down / Up) 50174 Kbps / 20478 Kbps
    Noise Margin (Down / Up) 9.5 dB / 8.9 dB
    Attenuation (Down / Up) 14.3 dB / 5.2 dB = 1035meters cable length, should be a rough speed of 36mb down
    Power (Down / Up) 12.4 dBm / 1.8 dBm
    Ireland
    3112646985.png

3112653516.png

UK
    3112655176.png

• Advertisement
Advertisement