Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do digital games cost???

• 19-11-2013 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I am thinking of going all digital this gen. I don't sell games and want to avoid having to load disc each time i change game.

Does anyone have any prices on games like battlefield 4 from the microsoft store? Will they be the same as the retail version?

Cheers,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

ciaran75 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I am thinking of going all digital this gen. I don't sell games and want to avoid having to load disc each time i change game.

Does anyone have any prices on games like battlefield 4 from the microsoft store? Will they be the same as the retail version?

Cheers,

Usually €69.99. Can't see them being any cheaper to be honest. They won't under cut the stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭McDonnellDean

No info as of yet. I am hoping to do the same thing this Gen, to be honest I would be shocked if they over inflate the prices!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,217 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Whatever the RRP of the titles are will be the digital price on release day, imo.

We may get better prices down the line, in line with normal sellers reducing the costs of titles the longer they have been out for.

Shops generally sell for below the RRP, so certainly I can see it being a case of paying an extra 5 or 10 euro and having it 'now' (after download) or heading to the shops/waiting for post and saving that extra 5 or 10 euro.

I imagine any digital games I buy are going to be impulse purchases. Such as always buying a tennis game when wimbledon is on!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

thanks guys, guess we'll find out friday, hopefully sooner.

if they are more expensive i'll probably just buy the discs.

if anything they should be much cheaper as no packaging / transportation costs and shops don't need to take their cut.

just came accross this, might be of interest to some others.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gamesgear/xbox-one-games-up-for-pre-order-will-cost-50-55-50012155/

At the cheaper end, Kinect Sports Rival will set you back £50, as will Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome, and Forza Motorsport 5. FIFA 14, Battlefield 4, Watch Dogs, Just Dance 2014, Madden NFL 25 and UFC will all set you back £55 each

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk/en_GB/list/Xbox-One-games-+-accessories/categoryID.64545300

£55 for battlefield should be roughly €65, same as most stores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

just came accross this, might be of interest to some others.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gamesgear/xbox-one-games-up-for-pre-order-will-cost-50-55-50012155/

At the cheaper end, Kinect Sports Rival will set you back £50, as will Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome, and Forza Motorsport 5. FIFA 14, Battlefield 4, Watch Dogs, Just Dance 2014, Madden NFL 25 and UFC will all set you back £55 each

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk/en_GB/list/Xbox-One-games-+-accessories/categoryID.64545300

£55 for battlefield should be roughly €65, same as most stores.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/mseea/en_IE/list/Xbox-One/categoryID.66227800

Looks like according to this they will be €70

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

Won't be any cheaper than retail.

Retailers are relied on to sell the hardware, so you can't go annoying them by having digital prices set lower. Well, you can, but then you run the risk of retailers not taking as much stock/not dealing with you at all, so it's generally not going to happen. Down the line, digital is much better for sale prices though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

JoePie wrote: »
    Won't be any cheaper than retail.

Retailers are relied on to sell the hardware, so you can't go annoying them by having digital prices set lower. Well, you can, but then you run the risk of retailers not taking as much stock/not dealing with you at all, so it's generally not going to happen. Down the line, digital is much better for sale prices though.

Agreed with this. No difference in price. They will be cheaper in sales though, but that will take time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭brijay

Why do the Americans get the games for $60 dollars on the microsoft store ? Nearly better off making a US account and topping it up much better value

brijay wrote: »
    Why do the Americans get the games for $60 dollars on the microsoft store ? Nearly better off making a US account and topping it up much better value

Just like other US online shops like Apple etc, the price on web is without taxes, the tax you pay depends on the state you live in as each state can have different tax rates.
    So with taxes it can go up to $70 etc, however this is still cheaper than euro price.

• Advertisement

i actually don't really mind paying the same as retail for digital but from MS store link it seems they will be €5 more expensive which is crap

guess i'll stick with discs until they are same price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,217 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i actually don't really mind paying the same as retail for digital but from MS store link it seems they will be €5 more expensive which is crap

guess i'll stick with discs until they are same price.

at €5 difference, I reckon my laziness would win out in a lot of cases, especially for games that have been out a while and I impulsively want to play them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Fella in the UK who had his delivered early.....so Sterling prices

imageuploadedbytapatalk1384894200-035156-jpg.439105

imageuploadedbytapatalk1384894231-702633-jpg.439106

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭dor83

Both games are £50 on the UK MS store, so that means that they are cheaper digitally in the UK anyway. €70 on the Iirsh MS store so maybe we'll get them for €65.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Size of those games, 35gb & 20gb, won't be long filling up 500gb so!

dor83 wrote: »
    Both games are £50 on the UK MS store, so that means that they are cheaper digitally in the UK anyway. €70 on the Iirsh MS store so maybe we'll get them for €65.

But if you all get them digitally where will I get my cheap second hand copy of Ryse? :(;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,597 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Diablo 3 to buy in Smyths= €50
    Diablo 3 to buy on Xbox live= €69.99

yeah, sound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭dor83

brav wrote: »
    But if you all get them digitally where will I get my cheap second hand copy of Ryse? :(;)
    I wouldn't worry about that, I'd imagine that it will be xbox one of the first one titles to be reduced. I'll wait until it is in one of the sales on games on demand.

friend of mine just got his today (works in MS) asked him to find out price when he logs on?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Nutmeg

Got my console this morning so I'll go through the prices and sizes of the games on the Irish store here:

Forza 5 - €64.99 - 31.76GB
    CoD: Ghosts - €69.99 - 39.5GB
    Dead Rising 3 Standard Edition - €64.99 - 19.99GB
    Dead Rising 3 Day One Premium Edition - €94.99 - 19.99GB
    Ryse - €64.99 - 34.94GB
    Battlefield 4 - €69.99 - 34.3GB
    Need for Speed Rivals - €69.99 - 15.35GB
    Assassin's Creed 4 - €69.99 - 20.25GB
    Zoo Tycoon - €69.99 - 2.62GB
    Crimson Dragon - €19.99 - 6.88GB
    LocoCycle - €19.99 - 13.17GB
    Fighter Within - €54.99 - 11.05GB
    Angry Birds Star Wars - €34.99 - 1.81GB
    Just Dance 2014 - €49.99 - 22.79GB
    Madden 25 - €69.99 - 12.51GB
    NBA 2K14 - €59.99 - 43.6GB
    NBA Live 14 - €69.99 - 9.16GB
    Powerstar Golf - €19.99 - 3.92GB

Think that's everything available on the store at the minute. Kinect Sports Rivals Pre-season is on there too as a free download along with FIFA 14 and NBA Live 14 demos.

Not sure how much FIFA 14 is as it came with the Day Edition. Lego Marvel Super Heroes is also on the Store page but there's no price as it doesn't seem to be purchasable yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Those prices are crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Nutmeg

Yep. Absolute madness. Those prices combined with massive downloads means digital delivery on consoles is still a long way away from ever being a viable option compared to online or high street retailers.

Advertisement