Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tactics Discussion

Options
  • 19-11-2013 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭

Somethings that I took as gospel before I'm starting to question, let's get a discussion going about tactics and all things surrounding it. I'd love to hear other peoples views.

MOM which I always thought was a good middle of the road against back plays can be destroyed by expansive and is probably the least effective against forward plays.

Windy conditions, all the documentation and guides indicate only kicking is impacted however I find expansive is really reduced - I could play one game in good conditions with high expansive and score 30+ then play the same tactics with the 2 teams in windy conditions and take almost half off each teams score.

Perhaps this could be moved to the secret forum?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭seanand

hmm too many guys on here are in my league but theres only one defense i pick as i dont trust the others

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

seanand wrote: »
    hmm too many guys on here are in my league but theres only one defense i pick as i dont trust the others

PM me if you want, I really am trying to decide on a defence for the NT team and I'm vering towards one I always claimed was the weakest... so I need some help lol;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

i've always heard the following:

Rush -good vs driving png bad vs creative
    MOM- good vs creative expansive ...middle of the road
    Drift -good vs expansive ...ok against the others

I'm not 100% on these...but i would think rush is bad vs creative expecially if you have poor defence/speed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭crisco10

daheff wrote: »
    i've always heard the following:

Rush -good vs driving png bad vs creative
    MOM- good vs creative expansive ...middle of the road
    Drift -good vs expansive ...ok against the others

I'm not 100% on these...but i would think rush is bad vs creative expecially if you have poor defence/speed

I have heard the same and sort of worked off it up to now. However, with zonal tactics, the potential for a slam dunk in defense choice is limited I think. (Assuming your oppo used zonal of course)

In my tests I am finding Drift to be quiet effective against forward orientated and creative plays which kind of indicates that MOM really isn't great:confused:

• Advertisement

mom is def a no no if you ask me i mail you on my choice of other two

seanand wrote: »
    mom is def a no no if you ask me i mail you on my choice of other two

Cheers Seanie, Up to this point I've found MOM ok but it does seem that creative has really been toned down so in relaity MOM isn't a must have.

Played aggressive tonight with Drift against Forza and it's awful, played it last night too and the penalty count is crazy. Drift seems to be a No No with aggressive, it's crazy how many penalties I'm giving away. I also went high back play in the two opposition zones and I'm being penalised hugely, so it seems that going excess is penalised in the ME with loads of knock-ons and forward passes

Another game after Forza and it was in the wind, so I went with Expansive plays just to see how much the wind impacts fligging the ball around, Boy it really nailed me. I've always suspected that the wind impacts expansive as more much as it does kicking and I'm pretty sure this confirms it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

This is obviously really on your mind wex, you even asked on the facebook page! Yeah I have always assumed expansive is a bad idea in bad weather. Hard to be 100% sure if you are right all the same.

• Advertisement

Gelio wrote: »
    This is obviously really on your mind wex, you even asked on the facebook page! Yeah I have always assumed expansive is a bad idea in bad weather. Hard to be 100% sure if you are right all the same.

I'm honestly confusedhe by the tactics since we went zonal, everything I once knew has been blown apart, I actually think zonal has given all the advantage to the backs and made forwards pretty redundant which is bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Hah, every comment I'm about to make gets stopped because my league pretty much hang out around abouts here :)

I approached zonal with real world thinking and got smacked.

Then I tried to abuse the system and did better, but not as great as expected. I now wonder how one is meant to approach it al.

I think I'm somewhat nearing an understanding, I've had some really nice results of late.

FewFew wrote: »
    Hah, every comment I'm about to make gets stopped because my league pretty much hang out around abouts here :)

I approached zonal with real world thinking and got smacked.

Then I tried to abuse the system and did better, but not as great as expected. I now wonder how one is meant to approach it al.

I think I'm somewhat nearing an understanding, I've had some really nice results of late.

I'm interested in hearing more of your thoughts. Please elaborate on what specifically you now understand of the zonal tactics. :D

daheff wrote: »
    I'm interested in hearing more of your thoughts. Please elaborate on what specifically you now understand of the zonal tactics. :D

After you thrashed me this weekend I think it's safe to say I know very little.

After you thrashed me this weekend I think it's safe to say I know very little.

Ah I think it was all down to energy....mine was better than yours (and everybody elses in the league now :cool: )

Must say, I'm really enjoying the subs aspect.
    Today I fielded my full seconds in a match I had to win, and really should have won. Had plenty of rules set up to change the match as it went, with all my 1st team impact players on the sideline.
    Meant the 2nds got league match practice and I got the win.

One feature I'd like see add is something related to bonus points or points margin. Well, BP primarily. In the same way FOTG doesn't kick in til you've a BP, it'd be nice if you could have a win + BP criteria for subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭crisco10

Must say, I'm really enjoying the subs aspect.
    Today I fielded my full seconds in a match I had to win, and really should have won. Had plenty of rules set up to change the match as it went, with all my 1st team impact players on the sideline.
    Meant the 2nds got league match practice and I got the win.

One feature I'd like see add is something related to bonus points or points margin. Well, BP primarily. In the same way FOTG doesn't kick in til you've a BP, it'd be nice if you could have a win + BP criteria for subs.

6-5 down at half time. I was worried for you.;)

thats a good idea actually you should suggest that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

really struggling with these zonal tactics, had a ten star advantage pre-kick off against a fairly similar team but currently losing 18-3. could be the ruining of my season! :(

My Best advice is to see what areas of the field things do and don't work. I almost had a nervous breakdown at the start of the season with the NT team because I couldn't figure the zonal tactics out and teams were giving me a hiding every game. Are you kicking too much? are you playing too much through the forwards (loads of possession but no linebreaks) is your defence right? Rush is risky now as if someone plays high creative or expansive in just one zone then they may create linebreaks from very little possession. Are you relying too much on backplays resulting in linebreaks from far out but men being isolated and losing possession after the linebreak? If you don't have the speedy backs to captalise sometimes too many linebreaks can be a bad thing so a slow progression up the field may be better.

• Advertisement

I love the new zonal tactics must have 5 or 6 behind the stars win and have good energy. My irish team the Danny's might even promote to div.2 if they keep up there form. Really leave the door open for teams to do a lot if they build a well rounded team

Advertisement