Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

winter camping ?

Options
  • 19-11-2013 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭

Ive been hiking and camping through the summer and into Oct but the lowest temp was 5C so not much of a challenge so far but will be going this weekend (not far from Glendalough) and it looks like I might have to prepare for -5C. Ill be using a tarp and so far Ive used a 3 seasons type bag (i'd guess an average -5C rated bag)with a silk liner plus a reflective sheet under a mat. Will be wearing base layer and 2 outer layers and a shell jacket as a reserve but its my pillow otherwise, gloves/hat etc.
    Does that sound ok? I found the 5C night quite cold but I was warm, but hard for me to guess what another minus 10 might be like. my options otherwise are to bring an additional sleeveless shell jacket for the bag, a summer bag to put inside other bag (bulky) or bring a one man tent for the temp gain.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭RICHIE.39

A bivvy bag would be another few degrees. Just make sure the ground mat you use is good quality too. Ten degrees sounds little but sit in your car for half an hour and move thru that difference using your a/c and a thermometer to see. Can only give you an idea at higher temps but maybe it'll put it in perspective :-) hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

the secret to winter camping is planning and organisation - everything in waterproof bags, and everything available to you when you need it. -5c in the dark is not the time to have to start looking for your duvet jacket and socks.

i'd absolutely go with the suggestion of a bivi-bag, infact i'd not go without one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

I think maybe sometimes you have to 'suck it and see' to figure things out. So as long as you're not too committed and have some sort of retreat option, at worst you could be a bit miserable and have to give up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭kfod

The lower temperature rating on the bag is "a survival only rating for a 'standard' adult man. This is an extreme survival rating only and it is not advisable to rely on this rating for general use"

(that's from Wiki, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleeping_bag)

I've slept out in the Alps at -20c in my -10c rated bag inside a bivy bag on a mat with Down Jacket, Fleece, Base Layer, Socks and Power Stretch leggings and I was curled up in a ball with the Shoulder baffles and hood pulled closed. I was freezing and in no way comfortable. But I was able to get up after a few hours rest and continue what I was doing.

I think the main thing in Ireland with your list of gear is the chance to get wet is pretty big. Wet and Cold is a far greater danger than Cold on its own. I would definitely look at a bivvy bag or small tent for winter use here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Eat a very hearty meal before going to bed, The energy from your food will raise your internal temp a bit to keep you warmer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Thanks guys, I don't have a bivibag but first time out in this weather have decided to take my "coffin" 1 man tent which from experience is good for 4 or 5 C , there is no rain worth speaking about forecasted.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Good plot

I have to agree with the other guys once you can keep your gear dry it will help. I did Glenmalure -3 it was cold but had the right gear and a few drinks to heat me up before the big hike the next morning. Just have a plan before you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

seriously will anything keep you warm in a tent this time of year i dont think so.hot foot before bedtime hot water bottle is great as much goose down as you can wrap around you,i camped in the mournes couple years back man i nearly died with the cold never again.

Advertisement