Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long term savings account for children

Options
  • 19-11-2013 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

Is there a way to set up a savings account for a child where I can put money in and they will be the beneficial owner but they won't have access until a specified time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

I am not certain if the above is possible.

You could open a long dated (4/5 year) term deposit product which has no withdrawal options.

You could open an account in your name and gift the amount to your child at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

It's for my God son.

What about some kind of investment trust?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 echo59

An Post, you can open a post office account for someone at any age. However, nobody can make any withdrawals until the child reaches 7 years of age.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

We looked into this as we didn't want our son to know about it but that seemed unavoidable for any account in his name. So we decided to to open a savings account in our name (with KBC) and are putting the child payments into that will a little top up. There is no online banking with it so there is no temptation to use it, the money is "gone" but safe.
    We plan on using the money there to pay for his university fees eventually and whatever is left we will give to him when he wants to buy his first home. If money is tight along the way we may use some of it for school books too. But the money will never be used for anything else but him.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

• Advertisement
Advertisement