Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland V Poland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

****ing Ronaldo...

Came close to sticking a fourth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

The way we are playing i keep on expecting Trap to walk out from behind the dugout.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭DEVEREUX

6 minutes fk right off ref

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

We have been poor since the subs. Taking mcgeady off hasn't helped.

No holding back from McClean there

i know its only a friendly but this is dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Awful game

McClean about 3 miles offside

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Went to sh*te after an hour when McCarthy went off.
    If McClean had even half a brain he'd be dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Stevecw wrote: »
    Could well be just that. Have money on 0-0 at 7/1 as a consolation for watching 90 boring mins in case it is!

Enjoy the winnings!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

That was terrible .O'Neill has plenty of work to do.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Went to sh*te after an hour when McCarthy went off.
    If McClean had even half a brain he'd be dangerous.

Ya had no one to pass the ball after he went off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Kelly and Ward are just not good enough on the ball. I would be terrified if they were playing again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

yabadabado wrote: »
    That was terrible .O'Neill has plenty of work to do.

Ah come on, tried loads of new players tonight, played well throughout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Trappatoni would have been proud of that performance...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Ah come on, tried loads of new players tonight, played well throughout.

In a friendly on a cold night on a **** pitch in Poland.

Wasn't special but overall happy with the start MON and ROY have made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

I think what we've learnt tonight is take McGeady and McCarthy out of this team and we're ****e. Now I know how Scotland feel all the time.

Trilla wrote: »
    In a friendly on a cold night on a **** pitch in Poland.

I know talk about overreacting, loads of positives to take from the game.

roanoke wrote: »
    I think what we've learnt tonight is take McGeady and McCarthy out of this team and we're ****e. Now I know how Scotland feel all the time.

Sigh, we were trying loads of different players, what a ridiculous statement to come out with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Back to awful hoofball tonight...Forde is a terrible keeper with the ball at his feet.

Kelly and Ward are not good enough plain and simple.

Green is still a pity. Doyle looked a league 1 player when he came on.

Loads of work for the new gaffer!!

Too much of the hoof ball. No matter if its home or away passing the ball should be priority and that game was a painful reminder of what went before. I know its only the second game with new management and it was just a friendly so its not a big deal but hopefully that wont be the game plan during away games. O Neil couldnt be happy with that.

We actually passed it well in the first half, and created chances, the hoofball came in when we got tired, which is understandable considering a
    lot of them don't play regularly!

This idea we can pass it like Spain for 90 mins needs to be put to bed.

Who is saying we need to pass it like Spain??

NOBODY!

That myth also needs to be put to bed

We actually passed it well in the first half, and created chances, the hoofball came in when we got tired, which is understandable considering a

It could have been better and should have been to a degree, but some people are over reacting. Very few comparing them to Spain though. A few positives to be taken out of the two games. Not fantastic but an immediate improvement, even in the selection of players.

No one is under the illusion that we can pass it like Spain but we can pass it we choose to hoof it and its very frustrating to watch. Im not being negative but that was a dreadful performance hopefully come the qualifiers the hoofball idea will be gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Did well for 45/50 minutes but descended into farce towards the end. Considering we made a lot of changes and were already hampered having started Kelly and Ward, I suppose that's to be expected. I think our full-strength side will do a much better job of keeping the level of performance up over 90 minutes. It's at least encouraging that we're trying to play football. I think it's clear after tonight that David Forde is too poor with the ball at his feet to be considered anything but a backup from now on.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Did well for 45/50 minutes but descended into farce towards the end. Considering we made a lot of changes and were already hampered having started Kelly and Ward, I suppose that's to be expected. I think our full-strength side will do a much better job of keeping the level of performance up over 90 minutes. It's at least encouraging that we're trying to play football. I think it's clear after tonight that David Forde is too poor with the ball at his feet to be considered anything but a backup from now on.

Nice sensible honest and accurate post. Refreshing instead of the pessimistic spoiled ones you occasionally get

I was obviously been sarcastic in comparison with Spain...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Forde is pretty handy but his distribution of the ball is suspect. Is Westwood the no. 1 at Sunderland now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

It seems like we're begining to take shape and that McGeady is showing potential once more. With him and the return of Brady thats our first choice wingers sorted, with Mc Carthy and another in thec centre. Defence still needs some tinkering, but we are begining to see the makings of O'Neil's team as they adapt to a new style, with likely additions to follow...

The next friendly will give us a much better indication of who O'Neill favours, and who he'd like to see feature in the squad in the future, bearing in mind the squad was not chosen by him.

Looks like we have healthy competition between keepers now, which is a huge benefit. I think it's been said before that one of Forde's weaknesses is his ball distribution, think that showed tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

roanoke wrote: »

I'd imagine they are pretty pissed off with us, weren't McGeady and McCarthy born in Scotland but of Irish descent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Augmerson wrote: »
    Forde is pretty handy but his distribution of the ball is suspect. Is Westwood the no. 1 at Sunderland now?

Mannone started in their win over city, westwood was on the bench but was rumoured to be injured so make of that what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Happy enough after two games. Plenty of promising things to take from the start Mon has made. We still need to unearth a few new internationals in certain positions and there is plenty of time to do that now.

Im now looking forward to our next internationals and see who O Neil will bring in and leave out, when its his turn to pick the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

No Keane = No goals ..... his contribution, movement, skill all underestimated imo

No Keane = No goals ..... his contribution, movement, skill all underestimated imo

Long is overrated too to add to the above.

Flucking Setanta no interview with MON

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

I'd like to see him try McGeady in a more central role behind the striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

Lennonist wrote: »

Agree, would also like to see Aidan in the Premiership, not sure Spartak Moscow is the best place for his development

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

no highlights on rte??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

S28382 wrote: »
    No one is under the illusion that we can pass it like Spain but we can pass it we choose to hoof it and its very frustrating to watch. Im not being negative but that was a dreadful performance hopefully come the qualifiers the hoofball idea will be gone.

Long/direct balls are an absolute necessity for almost all teams. Even Spain. Physically it's borderline impossible to keep it on the deck for the bulk of the 90 mins, the amount of running involved is incredible.

Spain, Arsenal, Barca, Swansea.......they all use the out-ball during games. Whether it's hitting it long to Giroud or Michu or Llorente......they all do it at times.

It's about effective use of the tactic. If we over-use it away to Poland on a cold night in November with nothing at stake, i'm fine with that. Completely fine with it. Only 2 of our outfield players are certain starters at club level (McCarthy and Walters) and a lot of them would be vastly short of full fitness/sharpness.

An uninspiring, compact, hoofball away performance is fine right now given all of the above. MON gets off to an undefeated start (positive), the players come out of the week feeling positive and that everyone will get a chance, the club managers will feel good about the fact MON didn't overplay anyone needlessly.

It's all positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

no highlights on rte??
    No, they weren't any.

• Advertisement

It seems like we're begining to take shape and that McGeady is showing potential once more. With him and the return of Brady thats our first choice wingers sorted, with Mc Carthy and another in thec centre. Defence still needs some tinkering, but we are begining to see the makings of O'Neil's team as they adapt to a new style, with likely additions to follow...

The next friendly will give us a much better indication of who O'Neill favours, and who he'd like to see feature in the squad in the future, bearing in mind the squad was not chosen by him.

Looks like we have healthy competition between keepers now, which is a huge benefit. I think it's been said before that one of Forde's weaknesses is his ball distribution, think that showed tonight?

He will try to build the team around McCarthy and McGeady. O'Shea obviously will be the main man centrally at the back. Robbie Keane will continue to be the main striker as long as possible, 'cos he's the best finisher we have still, but that may change. Westwood will be in goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

As a matter of interest, what are people's opinions of deploying Long either on the wing or in front of a two man midfield behind the striker?

I don't know about in the hole behind the striker positon but pretty sure he hasn't played on the wing before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

As a matter of interest, what are people's opinions of deploying Long either on the wing or in front of a two man midfield behind the striker?

So it would be Hoolahan, Reid, McGeady and Long behind Keane? :D

Long on the wing seems a waste. One of the good things about him is that he's shown he can actually play as a target man (regardless of his height), maybe better at it than Walters. Probably not as good as Doyle but can do better things with the ball than Doyle.

I have to say I'm surprised and pleased with Ward and Green. Both are probably deserving of a place in future squads.

Ward isn't worse than Kelly and he has decent experience plus gives Wilson a little competition at left-back considering we don't have much tested cover there.
    I think that was Green's fourth game in a row where he's played at least decently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Green comes in for so much unfair criticism in my opinion. Whenever he's played for Ireland he's done his job pretty well, especially away from home when we dont have the ball so much.
    Thought McCarthy did well last night for the time he was on. Hopefully with Keane there now as well he can learn a few things from him and progress even further.
    With Brady and Pilkington to come back in as well at least we have a few options in Midfield to switch it up a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Green comes in for so much unfair criticism in my opinion. Whenever he's played for Ireland he's done his job pretty well, especially away from home when we dont have the ball so much.
    Thought McCarthy did well last night for the time he was on. Hopefully with Keane there now as well he can learn a few things from him and progress even further.
    With Brady and Pilkington to come back in as well at least we have a few options in Midfield to switch it up a bit.
    Green is a decent tackler gets stuck in and can win the ball back. Unfortunately for him he is an absolutely dreadful passer of the ball. He works so hard to win the ball back and in the next breath he's given it back to the opposition with a poor pass. He was doing it again last night. Any pass over 3 yards is a bit of a struggle for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I think this much is true. It looks like Long is going a bit backwards in terms of his finishing and choices.

It would be nice to uncover and try some options from the under 21s here and reserve squads across the water. I think we need to unearth some options up front. We look very toothless.

With time to reflect on the game Ward, Kelly and Green were solid defensively. They deserve credit for that. However in possession of the ball they were very very poor.

I think it's fair to say they won't be first choice for competitive games and maybe in Greens case struggle to get in future squads. Their attitude is very admirable in fairness but their poor use of the ball and status as solid championship performers means they are not of international standard IMO.

Again on reflection it wasn't a bad performance vs Poland. We looked comfortable and compact defensively. We did try and pass the ball and played with good tempo in first half. The combined effects of a poor surface and some of our players not being fully match fit meant the passing and tempo went to the dogs in the second half.

I do think going forward players like Brady, McGeady and Wes will add some creativity in the final third.

Wilson looked impressive at centre half so we have good options there.

Westwood would be my number one. Gibson and McCarthy will be a very good midfield if they both stay fit.

Our striking options are still OK in my opinion. Robbie being the best finisher by a distance.

The major weakness as I see it is at left back. I don't think Ward is a long term option. Any news on how Greg Cunningham is doing?

We need somebody to come through here or unearth somebody who qualifies.

rebelomar wrote: »
    With time to reflect on the game Ward, Kelly and Green were solid defensively. They deserve credit for that. However in possession of the ball they were very very poor.

I think it's fair to say they won't be first choice for competitive games and maybe in Greens case struggle to get in future squads. Their attitude is very admirable in fairness but their poor use of the ball and status as solid championship performers means they are not of international standard IMO.

Again on reflection it wasn't a bad performance vs Poland. We looked comfortable and compact defensively. We did try and pass the ball and played with good tempo in first half. The combined effects of a poor surface and some of our players not being fully match fit meant the passing and tempo went to the dogs in the second half.

I do think going forward players like Brady, McGeady and Wes will add some creativity in the final third.

Wilson looked impressive at centre half so we have good options there.

Westwood would be my number one. Gibson and McCarthy will be a very good midfield if they both stay fit.

Our striking options are still OK in my opinion. Robbie being the best finisher by a distance.

The major weakness as I see it is at left back. I don't think Ward is a long term option. Any news on how Greg Cunningham is doing?

We need somebody to come through here or unearth somebody who qualifies.

Joey O'Brien would have got a start in either game at lb or rb, but he picked up a knock in one of the training sessions.

Joey O'Brien would have got a start in either game at lb or rb, but he picked up a knock in one of the training sessions.

True id forgot about poor Joey. He doesn't seem to have much luck in fairness in regards his Irish career.

He's always seems relatively solid for West Ham but I don't think I have seen enough to make a judgement? Whats he like on the ball

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

nkay1985 wrote: »
    I think it's clear after tonight that David Forde is too poor with the ball at his feet to be considered anything but a backup from now on.
    Augmerson wrote: »

I'd prefer the first choice keeper to be a decent shot stopper if I had to prioritise and be decent in the air.

Forde's performances for Ireland in the last year have shown me that he does all these things very well, certainly better than I have seen Westwood do.

Advertisement