Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

certified as B1 acting as A3

• 19-11-2013 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My house is certified as a B1 (89.9)

But when i figured out how much total KWH (8411Kwh) were needed for my house(208 m2) for the Year
    Its coming in as an A3(40.5)

Does such a big diffence often happen.

House was never cold. I would say avg temp was about 20 or so.
    House heated with Geo HP and UFH.
    Stand alone Stove in sitting room but lite a hand full of times.(When needed a fire to look at...)

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The BER assessment is NOT an assessment to determine the specific energy usage of individual units.

It is a rating designed to compare like with like.
    It makes WAY too many assumptions to be in any way considered as specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭badgerhowlin

Thats explains it then.
    You know what they say about Assumptions. The are the mother of ALL FCUK UPS...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭blast06

Fair enough it is a rating ..... but surely it should be somewhat indicatve ?

In my case, my heat pump supplier was willing to give me a written guarantee that my energy consumption would be not above a certain level to keep the house at a constant 20 degrees 24/7/365 once i gave him a cert to indicate compliance with part L (i never bothered going down the path of looking for this)
    His figures guaranteed that it would not exceed 5500 Kwh for a year (~240 m2) = ~23 KwH per m2. My BER assessment on the other hand scrapped an A2 (about double the rate the supplier predicted).
    My actualy will i would say be closer to 15 KwH m2.

I apprecaite the BER allows us to compare apples with apples buy why does the it give figures which are clearly nonsense ?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Well fIrst of all both of you have Given delivered energy values, which is not what the ber system is based upon.

Understand it before you knock it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Well fIrst of all both of you have Given delivered energy values, which is not what the ber system is based upon.

Understand it before you knock it.

Well said.

The DEAP A2 rating is primary energy for lighting AND ventilation AND space heating AND water heating AND pumps.

So the question is, what was the delivered electrical energy (to the heat pump ONLY) in DEAP and in the actual dwelling Blast06? In an A2 dwelling, of the 50kWh/m2 primary energy, you might expect about a half would be for space and water heating, with the remainder for lights, pumps and fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭4Sticks

blast06 wrote: »
    My actualy will i would say be
    ...... clearly nonsense ?

You said it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

4Sticks wrote: »
    You said it.
    Play nice!

Advertisement