Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seal between fireplace and stud partition

Options
  • 19-11-2013 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

A number of years ago I got some renovation done in my old house and got a new fireplace put in. I also got a stud partition on the wall where the fireplace sits. Since then I have been using an electric heater in the room. However now I was wondering can I get an open fire again. There is a gap between the fireplace and the wall behind it where I can see insulation.

The gap is in the fireplace opening, not around the outside or on the mantle.

Is it possible to get that gap sealed so I could then begin using the fire again?
    Or because there is a stud partition in front of that wall not, would I never be able to use the open fire again?

Thanks,

Tony

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 fredgalway

Hi It would not be advisable to have open fire in this situation, not alone would there be a danger of fire there would be an even bigger danger of fumes. I think your insurance company would have serious issues with what you are proposing. If you are determined to have open fire please get expert to advise and supervise on all work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 TonyToo

I still haven't got around to doing anything about this. I am thinking about removing the insulation (not entirely sure why it's in there in the first place) and sealing the gap between stud partition and the chimney breast/brace with fire resistant cement, then getting a insert stove put in. My biggest concern is the stud partition getting too hot. all ideas/suggestions/advice welcome. I would be getting a professional to do the work...whenever I get around to it.

• Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭kellymick39

Get a solid fuel stove instead.Having an open fire and having an open fire means that all your fuel,all your heat and all your money is going up and out the chimney.
    Solid fuel stove for the win here.

• Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭kellymick39

You would also need fireproof plasterboard as a stove and liner will give off a serious amount of heat.A builders merchants or fireplace and stove shop will advize on exactly what you need.Speak to Heating Distributors,Larmartine Fireplaces or Clifford Fireplaces and they will advize you best on what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 TonyToo

Finally saved up and got around to getting this completed.
    Ended up getting plumber and fireplace company out to do the job.
    got a stovax inset/insert stove installed with back boiler.
    They removed the old insulation and replaced it with fire resistant stuff.
    Lit a few small fires so far and all going well :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement