Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobseeker's Allowance

Options
  • 19-11-2013 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭

Hey,
    I'm 20 years old and unemployed. I'm going to the Social Welfare Local Office first thing tomorrow morning.

Just wondering what'll happen when I get there - will I be waiting ages, will I be interviewed, etc. ?

I just find the whole thing pretty daunting :eek:

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

It's pretty daunting alright but this page has all the info you'll need to be prepared.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭StompToWork

You probably won't be waiting that long. What will probably happen is that you will simply be given forms to fill out, told to go away and complete them, and send them back. Then, the wait begins. Nothing daunting at all about it. In my experience, there will be no interviews or meetings unless you request them, or unless your claim is being queried towards the end of your entitlement period, which should be in 9 or 12 months, I think.

Believe me, feeling daunted will soon be replaced by feeling ignored!! :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭CaoimheCweeva

Thanks for your replies!

Really, no interview? So is the form they'll more than likely give me the same as the one that's online that I can download and fill out? :/

Also, I was told that because they take forever and a day with the whole shabang, that there's another office I can go to that gives money in the meantime - I think it's called the community welfare office? I'm in Cork, if anyone can shed any light on this that would be great :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

What you need to bring:-

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/reference/checklists/checklist_when_applying_for_jobseeker_s_allowance_checklist.html
    Really, no interview? So is the form they'll more than likely give me the same as the one that's online that I can download and fill out? :/

Also, I was told that because they take forever and a day with the whole shabang, that there's another office I can go to that gives money in the meantime - I think it's called the community welfare office? I'm in Cork, if anyone can shed any light on this that would be great

Yeah you can download and fill in that form in advance.

While waiting for your claim to be processed you can claim SWA Supplementary welfare allowance, from the social welfare rep at your local health centre, Any money paid will be deducted from your jsa claim if awarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭CaoimheCweeva

Thanks! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement