Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The dreaded "Elizabethan Collar"

• 19-11-2013 8:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

So, my dog had surgery last Thursday to address his second luxating petalla. He requires 4 weeks crate rest.

His stitches would be due to come out tomorrow week. My question is, how much damage could he do to his stitches if the collar was taken off. He is having fierce difficulty coping with the collar inside the crate. I have cut it back as much as I dare to make it as small as possible, but he still hates it (obviously)!! When, in people's opinion, is the earliest I can take the blasted thing off?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I can tell you from grim experience that he should keep the collar on at least until the stitches are out.
    I know, it is a huge pain, but if he rips those stitches out, you've a much bigger problem on your hands.
    Most of them eventually learn to adjust and compensate for the lampshade... But it is a pain getting to that stage... I do feel your pain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭StompToWork

Deep down, I probably knew that was going to be the answer.

The big BIG pain is the culmination of the collar PLUS being crated. The last time, once the collar came off, he was quite comfortable in the crate, but now, he has grown a little bit more. The crate is still big enough for him (able to stand straight and turn around without problem), but the collar is just too much of a hindrance in there.

To be honest, I don't think the collar will last until next week. Gotta go but another one tomorrow, as this one starting to look a little bit worried about being able to continue doing it's job!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

When we got our 2nd cat, she was a rescue cat who had just been neutered and had the cone of shame on. Took it off her for a while and in that short time she managed to bite at her stiches. She got an infection in them, had to be brought back to the vet and get restitched. Turned out she had already pulled out previous stiches before we had gotten her so she ended up getting stitches 3 times in total.
    We learned the hard way that while collars can be a pain for them, it saves an awful lot of hassle and pain for them in the long run!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

DBB wrote: »
    I can tell you from grim experience that he should keep the collar on at least until the stitches are out.
    I know, it is a huge pain, but if he rips those stitches out, you've a much bigger problem on your hands.
    Most of them eventually learn to adjust and compensate for the lampshade... But it is a pain getting to that stage... I do feel your pain!

I'm with DBB I'm afraid. Our husky had surgery to remove an undescended testicle at the start of the year and it was a long scar along his tummy. He HATED the collar but it was for the greater good. I just couldn't deal with an infected wound. Not fair on Hugo.

After a few days of crate rest with collar on full time... I decided to fold up an old duvet on the floor beside the sofa. I'd remove the collar and watch him carefully. Any attempt to go at his stitches was met with a loud, firm, NO! I even attempted to make a sort of snug doggy jacket from an old zip up hoody - to prevent him from going at his stitches. The poor face on him those first few days...

I know most will say I shouldn't have had it on and off but as my OH was watching him during the day and me at evenings... We decided to only put it on at night. As he's a Husky with a thick coat - it was a simple case of sliding it on over his head (with his collar through the loops to keep it in place).

It is awful to see them struggle with the collar. Hugo was bumping into everything. But it is the lesser of two evils.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I cant believe that we are still using the dreaded plastic cones to keep the stitches in place - there MUST be a better solution. I really feel for your poor dog with the cone IN his crate. Recently I saw the most fantastic option that someone had bought from her vet - instead of a cone - its a very bulky stuffed sausage shaped collar. Like a draught excluder, thats tied around the dogs neck. It prevented him from being able to bend his head/neck enough to get at his stitches. I know its his patella, but could you come up with something home made that would do the trick? When one of my dogs recently had to have a cone - and he SERIOUSLY FREAKED with it - he was frozen with fear because he kept bumping into things - so I copied my friends soft collar by cutting an arm off an old sweater and stuffed it fat with the rest of the sweater and some old rags, and used some old bootlaces to tie it off and tie it around his neck. It worked. Maybe if your dog is bigger you could cut the leg off an old pair of jeans to make it bulkier?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Genius aonb!

Pet shops do sell those and I've seen inflatable versions and even transparent 'Elizabethan Collars'.

Plenty of options BUT do pick one and make sure it works for you and your dog. A return trip to the vet would be a nightmare.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

I've seen donut like 'things' used in place of the cone in my vets. They're like a big squishy, soft things (sorry can't think of a better work :/) that go around the neck like a collar and they work well according to the vet nurse. Thankfully my babies haven't needed one.

EDIT: this is it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Hooked wrote: »
    Genius aonb!

Pet shops do sell those and I've seen inflatable versions and even transparent 'Elizabethan Collars'.

Plenty of options BUT do pick one and make sure it works for you and your dog. A return trip to the vet would be a nightmare.

The transparent cone isnt transparent enough somehow - but is definately a bit of an improvement. Absolutely agree with you that a return visit to the vet is totally to be avoided, its just so hard to see them suffer more with the blasted cone on, but then Im a total softie & my dog is a total wimp. And like you I took the cone/stuffed collar off and watched him like a hawk with loud NO! anytime he looked like he was going to lick stitches 8-(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Lads, the inflatable collar will NOT stop a dog from reaching stitches anywhere on the hind leg... Believe me, as I said in my first post I'm speaking from grim experience here!
    The manufacturers of the inflatable collar stipulate that it is effective for abdominal surgery only.
    Seriously op, do not use the inflatable collar, nor the stuffed sleeve. They do not give anywhere near enough protection for leg injuries. In fact, if you cut the plastic cone down too much, you risk the dog still being able to access his knee.
    I'm a big fan and regular user of the inflatable collar, but they do a very specific job, and will fail if asked to work outside of their remit. And I hate lampshade collars, but there are times where they simply have to be used. Knee surgery is one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yep.. been through it, you're just going to have to grin and bear it. It will be over soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Yet another reason I'm a fan of adopting rescue dogs - they've already been neutered so you don't have the agonising ten long days of the cone of shame! :D

I found the comfy collar (inflatable) great for when my brother's Japanese Spitz was neutered. I quickly discovered they don't work on greyhounds though - when Josie was spayed, I had to revert to the ol' hard plastic cone! :D

I did think about the inflatable donuts, but I figured he would still be able to bring his knee up around them to reach it. Deefor will have to be neutered early next year (once we are over this), and I will be reaching for one of those donut jobs then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Dont remove it whatever you do, not worth the risk or certainty that the stitches will be pulled out. Then you will have a big problem, infection and more vets visits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Will he leave bandages alone or rip them off? If he'll leave them you could try a light guaze type bandage around the wound? I was lucky with my dogs operations because he had a good solid leave it command - we didn't need a cone and the legs had dressings on to reduce his movement..once they came off and stitches came out he wanted to clean the wounds so had to dress them lightly for a few days until they'd dried up enough that he wouldn't open them up again

My Staff had an operation on monday and she has to wear the collar for 2 weeks. I wouldnt chance her with the collar off. I have seen dogs re-open stitches and having to get them re-done.

So for the next 2 weeks i have a little Triceratops hitting everything that crosser her path.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

I bought one of those inflatable donuts. My dog had it off in 30 seconds. I restitched all the fastenings with stronger thread, put it back on and all the seams ripped again in 30 more seconds. Waste of money, plastic cone went back on.
    PS if anyone wants a free donut - it needs the collar loops restitched but is otherwise fine, size large, pm me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

So, my dog had surgery last Thursday to address his second luxating petalla. He requires 4 weeks crate rest.

His stitches would be due to come out tomorrow week. My question is, how much damage could he do to his stitches if the collar was taken off. He is having fierce difficulty coping with the collar inside the crate. I have cut it back as much as I dare to make it as small as possible, but he still hates it (obviously)!! When, in people's opinion, is the earliest I can take the blasted thing off?

Can I ask how much the surgery cost.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

So for the next 2 weeks i have a little Triceratops hitting everything that crosser her path.
    :P :D

Dodd wrote: »
    Can I ask how much the surgery cost.?

The claim on the insurance is for over €2100. Yup, that's Two Thousand One Hundred Euros. All said and done, for both legs, all the follow ups and physio, it will have cost almost €5000. Around €4600 on insurance and the rest in consultation and physio fees since May of this year!!

Jesus, now that I am writing it all out, it's a hell of a lot!!

Worth it tho, because we have the best Veterinary Orthopedic surgeon in the country on our doorstep! I mean, there are medical doctors who could take a leaf out of this guy's book. The wound and stitches are cleaner than any operation I've ever had!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The claim on the insurance is for over €2100. Yup, that's Two Thousand One Hundred Euros. All said and done, for both legs, all the follow ups and physio, it will have cost almost €5000. Around €4600 on insurance and the rest in consultation and physio fees since May of this year!!

Jesus, now that I am writing it all out, it's a hell of a lot!!

Worth it tho, because we have the best Veterinary Orthopedic surgeon in the country on our doorstep! I mean, there are medical doctors who could take a leaf out of this guy's book. The wound and stitches are cleaner than any operation I've ever had!

Shane G?

• Advertisement
Advertisement