Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Door-to-door salespeople

• 19-11-2013 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭

I don't like door to door salespeople calling to my house, because I find the whole situation awkward, telling them I'm not interested, and then I sometimes feel bad for them.

But I wonder how they're still in existence. Do people actually buy from door-to-door salespeople? Have you ever? If not, why not?

Have you ever done door to door selling? What was it like for you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Haven't had it in a long time now, but never found it that bad. "No, sorry" and close door.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Abigayle

Don't answer the door to anyone you're not expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

My cousin did it a few months ago. He had just left college and had a degree but could not find "decent" work. He answered an ad online that looked very promising. After getting the job he was out all hours and didn't get paid. He left it after countless hours working for nothing. If you want to earn money and not lose money avoid. If you want the experience; have nothing to lose and enjoy going from door to door go ahead. It's cheap labour. If you got into this work you are self employed; but you don't have that flexibilty. You have to be in the office at whatever time every morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

Abigayle wrote: »
    Don't answer the door to anyone you're not expecting.

Yeah, ...because you just might get shot ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

I hate those guys who distribute that "Betterware" catalogue.

No, I don't need an 8 ft back scratcher with ez grip handle that doubles as a window scrubber!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Yeah, ...because you just might get shot ;)
    Well, it's obvious you'd have an objection to people not answering their door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

My first boss, an octogenarian lady, taught me that to be successful in business in business you should never chase after money, if you are doing things right the money will come after you. She had amassed an eight figure fortune by the time she died, so she knew her stuff.

She also used to beat me with her walking stick if I was too slow in filling her hot water bottle.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

Push the letterbox open from the inside and roar out "Whatever you're selling, I'm not buying!"

Works a treat.

I think its about to get worse, there are a lot of jobs in this sector being advertised on the major job sites.

Several charities, plus a lot of Billsave, Airtricity type jobs looking for door to door staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

No, I don't need an 8 ft back scratcher with ez grip handle that doubles as a window scrubber!

You're doing it wrong

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭TOMP

Cant stand them.

I just tell them its our house policy not to purchase any services at the front door

If they persist in asking questions just reply 'cornflakes' to each question.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MsQuinn

Had one from Vodafone about a month ago trying to get us to change over to their phone, mobile, broadband deal. We had just changed to eircom/e-mobile literally 2 days before so I told him sorry - too late.

He questioned me a bit on the terms and conditions to try to catch me out and then argued that I could still cancel the other contract. I politely told him we wouldn't be changing today, not because we couldn't but because we just don't want to.

He kinda got the hump and said something like "ffs,will you just let me say my bit instead of dismissing me". I said "OK - your wasting your time. I'm not buying off you but go ahead". So, he proceeded to give his speech, I nodded at the appropriate moments, and when he finished he gave me a silent glare. I glared back. He then said thank you, I said your welcome and off he went cursing under his breath. Surreal .....

ive had one cheeky cnut give me lip at the door to. Told him I wasnt interested and he got all snotty and said 'well what am I doing here then?' I said 'I dont ****ing know why you're here, now **** off'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

People selling house alarms, electricity, GAA raffle tickets and jesus.... Used to have about one a week, but I put up a small sign by the doorbell saying I don't want any unsolicited callers. That was at the start of the summer. Haven't had one since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

When I finished school I did it for a while

The work itself doesn't pay except commission, normally between €7-€10 per sale. The companies lure people in with very nicely worded job posts saying that are an advertising market, they bring you in for an interview and make promises of how you will run your own company if you work hard bla bla bla. In the grand scheme of ethics I still think it's better than jobs bridge jobs.

I used to do very out of it, I made about IE£100-150 a day, generally I sold cards which allowed you to get 2 for 1 meals in a local restaurant.

I normally hear the people who call to my door out, if it's a charity I explain that I have a rule about donating to people at the door and if they could give me some promotional material to read, which they never have, that I will consider a donation at a later point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

TOMP wrote: »
    Cant stand them.

I just tell them its our house policy not to purchase any services at the front door

If they persist in asking questions just reply 'cornflakes' to each question.

Lol! What if they then answer, "Yes please". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Sky King wrote: »
    People selling house alarms, electricity, GAA raffle tickets and jesus.... Used to have about one a week, but I put up a small sign by the doorbell saying I don't want any unsolicited callers. That was at the start of the summer. Haven't had one since.

Yep we did this too, we bought one that says NO CALLERS WITHOUT AN APPOINTMENT, works a treat - doesn't work on Mother-in-laws though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

Not as annoying as them fecking Jehovah's Witnesses in my own experience. Arseholes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Once signed up to a charity of some sort because the girl selling was hot.....cancelled it a week later

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

As much as they might annoy me, I mostly just feel sorry for them trying to pedal stuff to people who have no interest and are just trying to get them off their doorstep. Unfortunately I can't afford to feel sorry for them enough to help by way of purchasing the stuff, but I do always thank my lucky stars I don't have to do their job.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Once signed up to a charity of some sort because the girl selling was hot.....cancelled it a week later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

About 15 years ago when I lived in Raheny, lads used to call around trying to sell membership to a gym out in fairview (the one with the 50 metre pool).
    There were two lads I can remember one of them was Irish really nervous you could hear his voice shaking making his pitch and smell the cigarettes of him - I felt so bad for him but at the same time, desperation puts you off a sell even if you're interested.
    The look on his face of disappointment when I'd tell him no sorry not interested.

The other Chinese lad almost had me paying for membership even though I wasn't interested , he had such spark!
    He had such positivity - one of our dialogs :

SM: Good afternoon sir, can I interest you in membership of ..... blah blah
    ME: Well, not really interested sorry, Im already a member of xxxx
    SM: OK, Does xxxx have yyy gym facilities ... ?
    ME: yes ..
    SM : OK , does xxxx have tennis courts ?
    ME: yes .....
    SM : OK, does xxxx have a 50 metre swimming pool ....
    ME: ... eh ... No ... but ...
    SM (Interrupts) : AHHHHH!!! HAAA!!!!!!

At this point his face lit up, he had his toe hold, but the way he was so sparky and had a grin on his face the whole time, I remember thinking he'll go far in sales.

The other poor lad was in the wrong job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

"I'm sorry, I'm busy right now, but if you leave your home address in the letterbox I can call around unannounced at a time that suits me so that we can discuss this further."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

There's no point in buying anything sold door to door that you can buy in a bricks and mortar shop or online.

I've found most of what was being sold in this way was someway shoddy, with no hope of come back if things went wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

whirlpool wrote: »
    I don't like door to door salespeople calling to my house, because I find the whole situation awkward, telling them I'm not interested, and then I sometimes feel bad for them.

But I wonder how they're still in existence. Do people actually buy from door-to-door salespeople? Have you ever? If not, why not?

Have you ever done door to door selling? What was it like for you?

Eir, Virgin and Vodafone send them around our way now and then selling telly or internet packages. Polite "I'm in a contract at the minute" gets them moving quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

Had a sky fella come round seen his sky jacket said iv already got sky thanks
    he says but have you movies I said yes I said very clearly I've the FULL PACKAGE which I had at the time
    Cnut obviously didn't believe me or didn't listen went on a speil bout all these channels broadband etc etc I said yeah I've got all that he just looked bemused so I says come in delighted face on him (ejet was thinking he had me) into sitting room I said here's my broadband router here's all my channels now you happy he was disgusted and left :)

Had the indigenous nomadic people around as well selling tools and DVDs by god they are a struggle to get rid of almost came to blows because I didn't want anything backstards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Arise, Necro-Thread!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    Arise, Necro-Thread!!!

No-Arise, Necro Thread!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement