Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV licence

Options
  • 19-11-2013 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi all, Pleas help me!
    I'm a foreigner living in Ireland.
    I moved in a current house weeks ago
    Last week, an inspector came to my house, but I hadn't heard of TV licence
    (cos I used to live in a student accommodation) before, so I opened the door and he took my name and gave me a green form for tv licence.
    I had no idea of TV licence back then, after talking to my housemates
    I realised that if I don't buy tv licence, they can send a summons to my name.

The things is I never watch TV, it's not my telly, I'm coming back to my country in January. It costs 160 euros. My housemates are reluctant to pay for it.
    Do I have to pay for it? If I don't, are there any disadvantages to me?
    such as problems about visa or coming in/out.
    and how long does it take to send a summons ? If I ignored a summons and just went back to my country, what would happen?
    If I have to buy it, I might have to pay for it by myself cos I opened the door..but the fact that I live here only for a couple of months and never watch tv..

Thank you for reading this ! I really need your advice. Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

If there is a TV on the premises then you need to buy a TV license. It doesn't matter if you watch it or not.

If others don't want to donate towards it, then you should contact the TV license inspector and give the names of the others, so they can also be summonsed. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

Who is the premisses rented to? If you just opened the door in someone else's premisses then the licence is not your responsibility. If you are the person who rents the premisses then the licence is your responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭doublej

The person that owns the set must licence it.
    Who bought it?
    Who will own it after you leave Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mango92

doublej wrote: »
    The person that owns the set must licence it.
    Who bought it?
    Who will own it after you leave Ireland?

One of my housemate bought it. He doesn't want to share it. He will own it and He's the only person who watches TV. Thanks for your reply .

• Advertisement

Wheelnut wrote: »
    Who is the premisses rented to? If you just opened the door in someone else's premisses then the licence is not your responsibility. If you are the person who rents the premisses then the licence is your responsibility.

Sorry I can't understand the meaning of 'the premisses'. I suppose, when I moved in, I didn't sign on the form, anything else. I just moved in weeks ago. One of my housemate is renting the house. I haven't seen any contract of the house. and He is paying for the tv (not tv licence, but another money cos it's his telly.) Did I get what you meant? Is it my responsibility. I'm willing to share it, but I feel like it's unfair that I have to pay for it by myself. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

If you don't own the tv, you do not have to pay the licence fee.

How can I prove it? There is already my name on the form cos the inspector took my name. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I'd e mail the inspectors office. State that you will be leaving the country in January and that the TV is the property of your house mate. Name said house mate in the e mail and say that if the inspector wishes to pursue the case they should direct all further correspondence to them. In reality if you leave the country in January for good you have nothing to worry about, rookie mistake opening the door though.

Paulw wrote: »
    If there is a TV on the premises then you need to buy a TV license. It doesn't matter if you watch it or not.

If others don't want to donate towards it, then you should contact the TV license inspector and give the names of the others, so they can also be summonsed. :rolleyes:

Sorry I can't understand the meaning of "if there is a tv on the premises" Thank you for new info. Others don't want, but I feel like I don't want to argue with them or make a fuss. They said "Don't buy it,you will be back to your country anyway, they can't summon you." They think if we don't open the door, everything will be ok. Thank you.

• Advertisement

premises = house, home, apt .....

Just contact the TV inspector's office and give the name of the person who owns the TV there and that's you off the hook.

Paulw wrote: »
    premises = house, home, apt .....

Just contact the TV inspector's office and give the name of the person who owns the TV there and that's you off the hook.

Do you know how long it will take for a summons to come? I'm moving out in a month. Thanks.

I'd e mail the inspectors office. State that you will be leaving the country in January and that the TV is the property of your house mate. Name said house mate in the e mail and say that if the inspector wishes to pursue the case they should direct all further correspondence to them. In reality if you leave the country in January for good you have nothing to worry about, rookie mistake opening the door though.

and I'm moving out in a month. leaving in Jan. There is no my name on the house(I didn't have a contract just sharing house payment) I'm afraid if there might be problem of visiting Ireland or Europe again if I leave Ireland without crossing my name out. Just in case. Thank you !!

mango92 wrote: »
    Do you know how long it will take for a summons to come? I'm moving out in a month. Thanks.

Unlikely that the summons will come within a month, but to make sure that there are no further problems, you should notify the license inspector office of the correct name/address of the owner of the TV.

That will make sure that you never receive a summons for this and that you have fulfilled your obligation. It's the best thing for you to do.

Thank you guys. My house mates don't want to share the cost of it. I won't name my housemates I just don't want them to be in a trouble. Probably I'll pay by myself, even though I'm moving out in a month and I am not the person renting the house. I think it's quite unfair that they don't share it although they have a responsibility as tenants. I just want to forget about this issue. Thank you guys !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Once you have possession you must have a licence. Possession doesn't necessarily mean ownership. The OP and his house-mates each have possession of the TV and each is liable for ensuring the TV is licensed. Unfortunately for the OP he was the one who got caught.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2009/en/act/pub/0018/sec0142.html

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

Is a television set not a little different from other objects in so far as it needs the fixed facilities of the house in order to function? I have in mind things like the aerial and power supply. For that reason I expected that the owner or principal tenant of a premisses is the person who has possession of the set.

I can see a weakness in my point above in so far as the Act says nothing about a set being functioning, but on the other hand I have never heard of any ordinary person being prosecuted for not having a license while transporting a TV in the boot of their car for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Ahhh but it seems a car is not a vehicle since it's mechanically propelled and not a caravan/mobile home, so no licence required.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2009/en/act/pub/0018/sec0140.html
    “ vehicle ” means a vehicle other than a mechanically propelled vehicle (within the meaning of section 3 of the Road Traffic Act 1961 ) capable of being lived in being a caravan or a mobile home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I actually don't think its the owner who buys the licence. We got a warning letter which specifically stated that the occupier has to buy the licence. Our landlord owns the TV we are using.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

If you do not have the license and a inspector comes, do you have to pay it immediately or can you do the installment plan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

The owner of the TV is not strictly liable unless he/she is an occupant of the house.

It's an awkward situation - clearly everybody in the house is liable as they live their but the seem to be content to land one individual in it. If the actual owner of the TV is an occupant, I'd be letting the inspectors know.

Alternatively, I think you can still buy TV licence stamps in the PO on a monthly basis. Go in and buy a few for the remainder of your stay in Ireland. After that, tell them you are leaving and give them the name of one of your friendly housemates!

Five Lamps wrote: »
    The owner of the TV is not strictly liable unless he/she is an occupant of the house.

It's an awkward situation - clearly everybody in the house is liable as they live their but the seem to be content to land one individual in it. If the actual owner of the TV is an occupant, I'd be letting the inspectors know.

Alternatively, I think you can still buy TV licence stamps in the PO on a monthly basis. Go in and buy a few for the remainder of your stay in Ireland. After that, tell them you are leaving and give them the name of one of your friendly housemates!

Thank you for your reply ! It might be my last resort!! I suppose I've lost a reminder. I looked up the website of the PO. I presume that a monthly payment is only about debit card payment. Is there any way to pay in cash? I can't pay Cheers.

Advertisement