Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Park Roundabout revamp

• 19-11-2013 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Not sure if this has already been posted,

For anyone who uses the main Carrigaline road the time to rejoice and celebrate is near as those super intelligent people in the council who appear to have loads of money for worthy projects are about the revamp the Shannon Park roundabout which is currently a free flowing junction which copes with the rush hour and regular traffic quite easily.

The revamp to "IMPROVE" traffic flow is going to be done with the introduction of traffic lights !!!!!!! and a slip road so that Ringaskiddy traffic does not have to use the newly traffic lighted roundabout going from Cork to Ringaskiddy.

Also on the same road the Shanbally roundabout is to be replaced by a traffic light controlled junction.

despite all the issues with traffic on the main Carrigaline road, the lack of traffic lights at both of these areas has never been mentioned as the cause of traffic delays.

Not sure if there are that many pedestrians crossing the road in the area to need all this pedestrian access.

http://www.deirdreforde.ie/posts/proposed-signalisation-of-shannon-park-roundabout/

Proposed signalisation of Shannon Park Roundabout
    Part 8 Planning Notice

Notice under Section 179 of the Planning and Development Act, 2000 and Part 8 of the Planning and Development Regulations 2001 as amended

Cork County Council proposes to undertake the following development works:

· The signalisation of the Shannonpark Roundabout on the N28 at Shannonpark, Carrigaline, Co. Cork. It is proposed that traffic signals will be erected on the approaches and on the existing Shannonpark Roundabout. It is also proposed to construct a slip road to facilitate the N28 Cork to Ringaskiddy traffic to bypass the roundabout. The purpose of the scheme is to reduce traffic congestion and to significantly increase the capacity of the roundabout in order to sustain the N28 corridor as a key engine for economic growth in the area in the short to medium term.

· The replacement of the Shanbally Roundabout on the N28 at Shanbally, Co. Cork, with a signalised T junction. It is proposed to remove the existing roundabout and to construct a regular T junction with traffic signals. The purpose of the scheme is to improve facilities for pedestrians and cyclists while increasing vehicular capacity on the N28.

The proposed works include:

· New traffic signal heads and controllers
    · New road signs and road markings
    · New Slip Road to facilitate Cork To Ringaskiddy traffic at Shannonpark
    · New pedestrian crossings, cycling facilities
    · Other necessary associated works.

Plans and Particulars of the proposal will be available for inspection at:

· Cork County Council National Roads Office, Richmond, Glanmire, Co. Cork
    · Cork County Council Carrigaline Area Office, Church Road, Carrigaline, Co. Cork
    · Cork County Council County Hall, Cork,

On working days from Friday the 8th of November 2013 to Friday the 20th of December 2013 from 9am to 4.30pm – please note Carrigaline Area Office closed from 1.00pm to 2.00pm daily.

Plans and Particulars of the proposal will also be available for purchase for a fee of €10 at:
    · Cork County Council National Roads Office, Richmond, Glanmire, Co. Cork
    on working days from Friday the 8th of November 2013 to Friday the 20th of December 2013 from 9am to 4.30pm.

Submissions and observations with respect to the proposed development, dealing with the proper planning and sustainable development of the area in which the development would be situated, may be made in writing to Administrative Officer, Cork County Council National Roads Office, Richmond, Glanmire, Co. Cork, on or before 5.00 p.m. on Monday the 13th of January 2014.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

So much for following the plans????
    And now look at the fiasco we have !!!
    Nice footpaths, not that I ever saw anybody walking in that area to justify the outlay, show me any big roundabout in Cork with similar ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

They’ve turned what was a normal operating roundabout into an absolute mess.

Heads should roll in the roads department in Cork County Council but nothing will happen. What a waste of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Any link to the drawings? Can't see it on Cork Co Co website yet.

I suspect the issue here is that they forgot to design for all users (pedestrians, cyclists, public transport) in the first effort and got caught out. Government has dictated that transport infrastructure be designed first for pedestrian, then cycle, then public transport and finally private motors.

Driving through recently, it struck me that they'd made it more dangerous for pedestrians and bikes. No idea if someone's already got hurt.

The fact that you don't see many people walk or cycle there is actually the big problem. Not sure what the ideal solution is, but nobody likes traffic lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭GiftGrub100

Have been wondering about this revamp during the endless construction and it seemed to be abandoned for a good few weeks and when I saw the markings on the road last week, was amazed that we now have two lanes going right from Cork side heading to Carrigaline, so plenty of potential for some slight prangs especially in the dark winter nights when visibility is reduced.

The two lanes then filter into one for the queue for the Janeville lights ! going to Carrigaline. Progress in allowing double the cars to queue.

The Ringaskiddy sliproad was left out of the revamp (despite being a headline item for the entire rebuild. So no advantage.

And as mentioned, we now have some fabulous footpaths leading to nothing !!

It seems the same people and mentality that created the original Kinsale Road roundabout are still around in the county council

Have been wondering about this revamp during the endless construction and it seemed to be abandoned for a good few weeks and when I saw the markings on the road last week, was amazed that we now have two lanes going right from Cork side heading to Carrigaline, so plenty of potential for some slight prangs especially in the dark winter nights when visibility is reduced.

The two lanes then filter into one for the queue for the Janeville lights ! going to Carrigaline. Progress in allowing double the cars to queue.

The Ringaskiddy sliproad was left out of the revamp (despite being a headline item for the entire rebuild. So no advantage.

And as mentioned, we now have some fabulous footpaths leading to nothing !!

It seems the same people and mentality that created the original Kinsale Road roundabout are still around in the county council

Note too that any potential pedestrians now have to cross two or even three lanes of traffic to make it to the other side.

Again, there's no point in putting in footpaths and cycle lanes if they're unusable by pedestrians and cyclists. It's just more greenwashing.

Many of these Part 8's putting in more traffic lanes are described as "projects to improve sustainable transport". They're anything but, in practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

If anyone's familiar with the fiasco of the unauthorised closure of the N20 Waterloo exit, they will know about the complete incompetence, arrogance and total lack of accountability of the Cork National Roads Office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

If anyone's familiar with the fiasco of the unauthorised closure of the N20 Waterloo exit, they will know about the complete incompetence, arrogance and total lack of accountability of the Cork National Roads Office.

Check out what they did at the top of Donnybrook Hill.

City’s problem now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The Cork National Roads Office do work for the city and county councils. So same shower of gowls, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

I drive a van, with the addition of extra lanes merging as you come off also been curved :mad: which means all van and truck driver's now have a dangerous blind spot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Appalling 2 lanes approaching the roundabout going to the city from shanbally and one merges into the other what's the point

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Pretty brutal alright. And it's the city standard to do this now... see well road intersection with skehard road for another needless fume-spewing traffic jam, where there was previous free-flow. Huge big expanse of concrete footpaths, where there used to be trees and grass on a roundabout. No pedestrians there, so instead it is used as an ad hoc messy car park.

I take raffeen hill instead of the shannonpark roundabout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

The sooner the M28 is built the better.

Growing Population of Carrigaline.
    The factories around Ringaskiddy.
    The ferry to France & Spain.

Theres more cars/trucks using the existing n28 and its not fit for purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

mikeym wrote: »
    The sooner the M28 is built the better.

Growing Population of Carrigaline.
    The factories around Ringaskiddy.
    The ferry to France & Spain.

Theres more cars/trucks using the existing n28 and its not fit for purpose.

M28 thread
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/214509/50

The ‘objectors’ want it rerouted out to the Kinsale Road Roundabout up the airport road back down through the R613 Ballygarvan and over the Shannonpark Roundabout via a flyover and onto Ringaskiddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

M28 thread
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/214509/50

The ‘objectors’ want it rerouted out to the Kinsale Road Roundabout up the airport road back down through the R613 Ballygarvan and over the Shannonpark Roundabout via a flyover and onto Ringaskiddy.

Those objectors are living in a very small bubble.

Nobody is going to drive West from Ringaskiddy towards Ballygarvan if they need to get to Little Island or Dublin. They are going to use the N28.

Theres a Fine Gael Senator that is closely associated with this group that supports the re-routing of the M28. He better not turn up at my door looking for a vote in the next general election or I will give him a piece of my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

mikeym wrote: »
    Those objectors are living in a very small bubble.

Nobody is going to drive West from Ringaskiddy towards Ballygarvan if they need to get to Little Island or Dublin. They are going to use the N28.

Theres a Fine Gael Senator that is closely associated with this group that supports the re-routing of the M28. He better not turn up at my door looking for a vote in the next general election or I will give him a piece of my mind.

Yes a small bubble indeed. They claim to represent 10,000 people, if even 1% of that was true I would be surprised.

I drive the N28 week in week out from little island and not a chance would I take that route to get back to base especially at rush hour.

As for that senator he’s well known for this issue. As are some recently elected city councillors and the Fianna Fáil leader who all attended their fund raiser in the RPH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,891 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The fact that you don't see many people walk or cycle there is actually the big problem.

Actually.. no, it's not.

I'm in that area a fair bit and there's nothing around it save for two 100 km/h roads, a Maxol garage, and the road back into where you came.

No-one is going to walk from Carraigaline to Ringaskiddy or Douglas. They might cycle it I suppose, but they could already do that.

What they've done here is make an already bad situation much worse, and for what.. ticking some box on the "accessible to all road users" form? :rolleyes:

Walking/cycling is NOT the answer to everything - especially outside built-up urban areas.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Actually.. no, it's not.

I'm in that area a fair bit and there's nothing around it save for two 100 km/h roads, a Maxol garage, and the road back into where you came.

No-one is going to walk from Carraigaline to Ringaskiddy or Douglas. They might cycle it I suppose, but they could already do that.

What they've done here is make an already bad situation much worse, and for what.. ticking some box on the "accessible to all road users" form? :rolleyes:

Walking/cycling is NOT the answer to everything - especially outside built-up urban areas.

LOL
    Janeville.
    400m.

Government has dictated that transport infrastructure be designed first for pedestrian, then cycle, then public transport and finally private motors. If you have a problem with that then I suggest you take it up with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,891 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

LOL
    Janeville.
    400m.

Government has dictated that transport infrastructure be designed first for pedestrian, then cycle, then public transport and finally private motors. If you have a problem with that then I suggest you take it up with them.

Covered by my "back the way you came from" line above.

There is nothing in that immediate area that warrants the design they've gone with, and all it's done is make the entire setup more dangerous for ALL road users.

There's literally houses on every side of that roundabout: around 50m from it on the East, 300m from it on the North, and an extremely large new development 400m from it on the South. The reason nobody ever walks there is because it's too dangerous to do so.

I'm not sure what you mean by "back the way you came from". If someone wants to walk from the houses north of the roundabout to anywhere south of the roundabout, then the new footpaths aren't adequate.

I'm not sure what you meant by "Walking/cycling is NOT the answer to everything - especially outside built-up urban areas." but I'd suggest the Shannonpark roundabout needs to be properly designed in line with DMURS, NTA policy and government policy.

People even walk on the N28 from time to time. I regularly see people cycle on the N28. It's not enough to abandon an N road to motorised traffic only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

LOL
    Janeville.
    400m.

LOL indeed.

• Advertisement

LOL indeed.

Not sure what you're getting at...but...

I think we're all pretty much on the same page in thinking that the new roundabout design is poor. It doesn't suit motorists, doesn't suit cyclists, doesn't suit pedestrians.

I'm not sure whether you think that the reason it's badly designed is because of trying to accommodate all road users?
    If that's the case, I think you might be attributing something to design which could be easier explained by incompetence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Not sure what you're getting at...but...

I think we're all pretty much on the same page in thinking that the new roundabout design is poor. It doesn't suit motorists, doesn't suit cyclists, doesn't suit pedestrians.

I'm not sure whether you think that the reason it's badly designed is because of trying to accommodate all road users?
    If that's the case, I think you might be attributing something to design which could be easier explained by incompetence.

I'm just laughing at the Government half-hearted diktat about transport infrastructure being designed first for pedestrians etc...when really it's just a lame effort while ticking some boxes.

I'm just laughing at the Government half-hearted diktat about transport infrastructure being designed first for pedestrians etc...when really it's just a lame effort while ticking some boxes.

I'd agree with all of that.

Advertisement