Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Roasting Veg

• 19-11-2013 9:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

So in order to get more veg into my diet I have decided to roast them as that way they taste relish. I usually buy one of those roasting trays in the supermarket with red onion, baby potato, parsnips and carrots in it. Its bloody delish except for the carrots. They are always hard after thirty mins in the oven unlike the other veg which are soft and delish?

How do I get those carrots soft in the oven?

Cheers

frAg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,130 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

frag420 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

So in order to get more veg into my diet I have decided to roast them as that way they taste relish. I usually buy one of those roasting trays in the supermarket with red onion, baby potato, parsnips and carrots in it. Its bloody delish except for the carrots. They are always hard after thirty mins in the oven unlike the other veg which are soft and delish?

How do I get those carrots soft in the oven?
    E
    Cheers

frAg
    carrots take around an hour to roast properly.
    You can reduce this by par boiling them for 5 mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Either put them in earlier, par boil them first or cut them into smaller (thinner) pieces.

F.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

twerg_85 wrote: »
    Either put them in earlier, par boil them first or cut them into smaller (thinner) pieces.

F.

Thanks for the replies folks.

I think the best option is to cut them thinner before putting them in the oven as the rest of the veg seems to be ready at the same time as my chicken breast or fish or what ever meat I am having with it.

thanks again,

frAg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,635 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

What I have done recently is cut up 1/3 a head of broccoli and 2 carrots and parboil them in a covered pot with 1cm water for 5 mins. I scoop the veg out, empty all but a little water out and add in a big nob of butter and 1-2 handfuls of chopped baby spinach leaves. I let the spinach wilt in the butter/water combo for 1 minute, then add the veg back in and season with salt, pepper and ground cumin. It tastes delicious and the broccoli/carrot combo are soft without being 'mushy'

Advertisement