Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Case of the mystery GBs

Options
  • 19-11-2013 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭

I have two year old Asus K53e. It has always been really quick but in the last few days it won't do anything.

Chrome won't open. I managed to use IE last night but it wasn't great.

It's a struggle to open most programs.

I've had a problem for the last while with a lack of memory. I know I have to get rid of things bit I can't find what I need to get rid of.

I have a good few documents that I've downloaded but nowhere near 74 GB worth. In fact, I'm at a complete loss.

I use CCleaner regularly. I also have about 14 GB of music on iTunes but that's it.

Anyone have any ideas where I should start looking to help me get rid of the extra memory? If that's even the correct term.

2celt3t.jpg

Comments

Empty the recycle bin.

Right-click C: and go to Properties > Disk Cleanup and go through the various options there (including delete old system restore points)

Navigate the C: drive and check the size of every folder, make a note of them all. You'll narrow it down fairly quickly. Some programs use a lot of space.

All of your files (photos, music, video, etc) should be on the D: partition. That's what it's there for. With some programs like iTunes you'll have to tell them (in the options of the program) to use the D: partition to store stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Also, adjust recycle bin properties (% of drive space)
    Run Ccleaner
    remove programs you don't use
    disable hibernation if you don't use it

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

download WinDirStat from here: http://windirstat.info/
    It gives you a nice visual of what's taking up space on your hard drive:

windirstat.jpg

You can run it on all drives/partitions or just one, C: drive in your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Thanks.

I've used that WinDirStat program and found my iTunes to be the main culprit. I think some of my music is down twice - once in iTunes and again in the download folder. Don't know if that makes sense.

Is there a way I can move all my music to the D: drive without stopping them from playing?

I know there's a way you can put music onto iTunes so that you can move the original file around. Unfortunately, I only realised that after I had uploaded all of my music and I don't have the time to go back and do it again.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭one man clappin

You can copy your iTunes folder over to the hard drive.
    For iTunes to see it you need to change the path in iTunes.
    Open iTunes, go to Edit, Prefernces.
    Advanced and change the path from C:\users\yourname\music\itunes to D:\ "followed by the correct path"

Some help here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Excellent. I moved my iTunes from my old laptop and never did that. Lost all my stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

You are using the C: for most things and D: for very little.

If you move over 20GB of music there will still be very little space left and if you continue to fill it up the same problem will repeat.

Best solution would be to use a partition management program to re-size the disks so you have much more space on the C: drive.

Advertisement