Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England v Germany

• 19-11-2013 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭

Didn't see a thread on this Germany currently leading 1-0 after a goal from mertesacker

Hodgson playing standard 4-4-2 so England typically underachieving

5-3-2 would suit the players England have but not a hope hodgsob would play that formation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

Why would anyone be watching this game over Sweden/Portugal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

i started watching it, turned over to sweden portugal at half time.
    england werent too bad in the first half, but some of the guff tyldesely and townsend are coming out with made it unbearable

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It's a decent paced game for a friendly, but a bit scrappy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

It's scary how far ahead Germany are in terms of squad and players. Germany has missing half their squad yet still make England's first team look poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Looper007 wrote: »
    It's scary how far ahead Germany are in terms of squad and players. Germany has missing half their squad yet still make England's first team look poor.

I only saw the second half but England dominated it

• Advertisement

England dominated, but Germany (with quite a few second string players) looked comfortable and never like losing the lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Tox56 wrote: »
    I only saw the second half but England dominated it

They had the ball but Germany had the better chances. England rarely had a clear cut chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

England saw alot of the ball but did zilch with it, not one shot on target, one if you include the townsend shot off the post. England will do well to get out of their group really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

dfx- wrote: »
    England dominated, but Germany (with quite a few second string players) looked comfortable and never like losing the lead.

Yes but Cleverly and Lallana were in the English midfield

Nothing to argue with the idea that a Hodgson team is done for when they go 1-0 down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

dfx- wrote: »
    Nothing to argue with the idea that a Hodgson team is done for when they go 1-0 down.

In the last six months they've been in losing positions to Ireland, Scotland and Brazil and managed to get two draws and a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

tbf to Lallana he did well last night. Cleverly wasnt inspiring at all though

An england side like the one below would compete in Rio IMO

Hart
    Smalling Terry Jones
    Johnson Cole
    Gerrard Carrick Lampard
    Rooney
    Sturridge

Having Walker, Jagielka, Walcott, Wilshere, Baines etc on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

slingerz wrote: »

Hart
    Smalling Terry Jones
    Johnson Cole
    Gerrard Carrick Lampard
    Rooney
    Sturridge

That is possibly the slowest midfield of all time. It needs someone who'll run with the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

When is the last time Lampard has done well for England? Also in no way should Gerrard be a CM. England have a 0% chance at this world cup. That's a very poor side. Defensively they are average, poor in midfield, average wingers and one top class forward in Rooney. Going out in the group stages I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

what alsways makes me laugh is England have a chance because, que a list of a few slightly above average players, there is far more that comes into it than just individual players, history, success, team spirit etc... With Germany or Spain you can mention a near starting 11 of world class players! The notion that england would beat one top class side in the knock outs, never mind 3 to actually win something, is comical!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

slingerz wrote: »

Hart
    Smalling Terry Jones
    Johnson Cole
    Gerrard Carrick Lampard
    Rooney
    Sturridge

Unless Lampard has a good six months coming up I wouldnt have him in the squad let alone the team! Think the axe could fall ala Gazza in 98.

My team would be:

Hart
    Johnson-Jagielka-Cahill-Cole
    Gerrard-Wilshere
    Walcott-Barkley-Lallana
    Rooney

They've got p*ss poor options at centre back. Getting past the groups could prove difficult depending on who they get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Wilshere has done nothing this year to get into that team, right now Carrick has that shirt to lose. How Hodgson must wish Ramsay was English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I agree that this is a poor enough England team. But I don't agree that they are that poor defensively, they don't leak many goals but they are currently very poor in attack.

Against Chile and Germany they hardly created a chance and you could see that the Germans in particular were containing England so easily without needing to be anywhere near their best.

Right now Germany have riches of talent that England can only dream about and that will be England's reality in Rio next Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

I am pie wrote: »
    Wilshere has done nothing this year to get into that team, right now Carrick has that shirt to lose. How Hodgson must wish Ramsay was English.

True enough, Carrick is a bit of a steadying influence. Just like the fact Wilshere has a bit of drive to him. They might compliment each other well enough in the middle. Have Gerrard playing off Rooney then I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Idbatterim wrote: »
    what alsways makes me laugh is England have a chance because, que a list of a few slightly above average players, there is far more that comes into it than just individual players, history, success, team spirit etc... With Germany or Spain you can mention a near starting 11 of world class players! The notion that england would beat one top class side in the knock outs, never mind 3 to actually win something, is comical!

Who is saying England has a chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

suppose it depends on what the poster defines as "compete" fingers crossed england and the french are competing to be the first ones on the plane back home... Or that the Germans embarass them, like the last time they played competitively, the 4-1 hiding!

Advertisement