Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just received a ridiculously large bill

Options
  • 19-11-2013 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭

Hi, just thought I'd ask here about a huge bill myself and my housemates just received.

There's 4 of us living in the house, usually only during the week and maybe the odd weekend too. The bill came to €784.08. I really don't think it's even possible that we could use that much electricity in 48 days. 

I just checked our meter now and it says 44975. The bill says our current reading is 48402 and our previous reading is 44449 which means we are being charged for 3953 units.

Is this just a mistake by whoever read our meter? How can we get this problem sorted?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

dorgasm wrote: »
    Hi, just thought I'd ask here about a huge bill myself and my housemates just received.

There's 4 of us living in the house, usually only during the week and maybe the odd weekend too. The bill came to €784.08. I really don't think it's even possible that we could use that much electricity in 48 days. 

I just checked our meter now and it says 44975. The bill says our current reading is 48402 and our previous reading is 44449 which means we are being charged for 3953 units.

Is this just a mistake by whoever read our meter? How can we get this problem sorted?

Thanks for any help.

you can update meter reading online, and they will adjust the bill in up to 3 days. or give them a call. Nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

wonski wrote: »
    dorgasm wrote: »

Thanks for any help.

you can update meter reading online, and they will adjust the bill in up to 3 days. or give them a call. Nothing to worry about.
    Thanks for that, must get on that so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi dorgasm,

As wonski has helpfully pointed out already, you can indeed submit readings online - here's the link. You can also submit them via our Meter Reading App, via Online Billing, by ringing 1850 372 372, or by sending us a PM right here on boards with your account details (please note however that we can only deal with the registered account holder(s)).
    dorgasm wrote:

Is this just a mistake by whoever read our meter?

It could either have been a mistake, or an overestimation. ESB Networks read your meter 4 times per year, and estimate twice (though there could be more estimates if there are difficulties gaining access to the meter).

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
    David

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Hi dorgasm,

As wonski has helpfully pointed out already, you can indeed submit readings online - here's the link. You can also submit them via our Meter Reading App, via Online Billing, by ringing 1850 372 372, or by sending us a PM right here on boards with your account details (please note however that we can only deal with the registered account holder(s)).
    Originally posted by dorgasm

Is this just a mistake by whoever read our meter?

It could either have been a mistake, or an overestimation. ESB Networks read your meter 4 times per year, and estimate twice (though there could be more estimates if there are difficulties gaining access to the meter).

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
    David
    Thanks, I'll give the number a call.

Advertisement