Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The not so "Fun Place" (the Joke Shop) on King St S, Dublin 2

• 20-11-2013 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

The not so Fun Place when you want to return an item for a refund.

Without going into details too much for legal reasons, I have to say I have never come across a more disgraceful attitude of staff, backed up by management, when trying to return a product as it didn't match the description, there are no changing rooms and they did not have the correct size available to do an exchange.

Instead, they refuse point blank to offer a refund.:mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So you bought an item and it didn't fit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

When did you buy it?. When did you try to take it back?

I dont think I ever saw a joke shop with changing rooms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

In fairness, if they took stuff back they wouldn't me making much money on costumes, the amount of people that will get this stuff for one night and return it is staggering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

In fairness, if they took stuff back they wouldn't me making much money on costumes, the amount of people that will get this stuff for one night and return it is staggering.

I think you missed the bit where the OP says he was trying to return a product as it didn't match the description. So based on the skimpy info so far it sounds like it's a situation in which the consumer has statutory rights rather than a change of mind scenario where the OP has no entitlements.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 darrenkav

Cabaal wrote: »
    So you bought an item and it didn't fit?
    That's correct, I bought the item and it didn't fit.

• Advertisement

When did you buy it?. When did you try to take it back?

I dont think I ever saw a joke shop with changing rooms.
    The place I bought it from is in the title (i.e. "Fun Place") of my post. I did take it back and that's how I found out that I couldn't exchange it for an alternative size or failing that, get a refund.

You may not have seen a joke shop with a changing room but if they're selling costumes then it should be like any other clothes shop where you have the right to try something on before you purchase it otherwise the shop has no come back if the costume doesn't fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I've bought a lot of fancy dress costumes and they all have detailed sizing information on the back as well as a general size on the front. Did you buy it based on just the general size?

That fact that I started by asking for an alternative size first as opposed to asking for a straight refund would mean I don't fall in with the stereotype you are referring to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

darrenkav wrote: »
    That fact that I started by asking for an alternative size first as opposed to asking for a straight refund would mean I don't fall in with the stereotype you are referring to.

Your first post mentions an issue with the product not matching the description, so what was it? Wrong size or wrong description?

slimjimmc wrote: »
    I think you missed the bit where the OP says he was trying to return a product as it didn't match the description. So based on the skimpy info so far it sounds like it's a situation in which the consumer has statutory rights rather than a change of mind scenario where the OP has no entitlements.
    Spot on and apologies for the skimpy detail but again due to legal reasons....

The description gave measurements in inches (eg. "fits 44-46 jacket size") for the chest size (as well as the the sizes of S,M,L & XL). My chest size is at the higher (eg. "46" inches) of the two measurements and I felt like I was flooded in the costume. It must have been two or three times the size stated.

• Advertisement

Plates wrote: »
    Your first post mentions an issue with the product not matching the description, so what was it? Wrong size or wrong description?
    Wrong size used in describing the product's fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Can you tell us what the product was and the value, to give some context to this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

"For legal reasons", all sounds a bit dramatic in fairness. More info needed.

Can you tell us what the product was and the value, to give some context to this?
    A patented costume costing 60 euro. It's not the value involved that matters to me, it's more the principle and my statutory rights being affected as a consumer.

It really didn't help in any way that both the staff member and the manager were impolite when I went to package the costume away before leaving the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭DJ WIPEOUT

I concur with OP, their strapline "We're only in business for fun" says it all.

Something like "We're are a joke when it comes to business" is more appropriate based on similar experiences I have had with their customer service.

Advertisement