Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco workers at Arthur’s Quay mocking shoppers over their gender

• 20-11-2013 12:33am
    Site Banned Posts: 99 ✭✭

SUPERMARKET giant Tesco has launched a probe into employees taking secret pictures of customers and posting them online with mocking comments.

http://www.sundayworld.com/top-stories/news/snooper-market-workers-slag-off-customers#.Uou9AwcTvk4.facebook

wow i know a couple of lads who work there at the moment and a couple who use to. i know that this kind of stuff has been going on but didnt think it was this bad.

Mod Edit: The quoting of newspaper and online articles in full is not allowed on Boards. Any issues with this can be taken up with the office of Sean Sherlock.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cuana

So you knew about this and did nothing about it, shame on you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

wow i know a couple of lads who work there at the moment and a couple who use to. i know that this kind of stuff has been going on but didnt think it was this bad. he should be dealt with by the gardai[/quote]

He has ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 99 ✭✭untouchable

i knew that some of the staff there talk about customers between themselves. they slag off the customers (race religion gender etc) but all ive ever witnessed is jokes between themselves so it was nothing to do anything about.

from what ive been told he wasnt dealt with but if he was then thats great he deserves everything he gets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Mod Post: Do not post in this thread again, otherwise you will receive a forum ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Seems like he is getting a taste of his own medicine now, its all over facebook.

• Advertisement

old_aussie wrote: »

Mod editQUOTE]

wow i think you have me wrong completly. i dont know this guy and none of my mates that whre working there where saying r doing anything like this. i stated that i witnessed others interacting with my mates and saying this kinda thing but thats about it. as i said i never thought it was anything like that. i hope that anyone involved is sacked and dealt with in the most severe way possible but i am far from anywhere near that category. if i was i wouldnt have started a thread saying how bad this was............................

wow i think you have me wrong completly. i dont know this guy and none of my mates that whre working there where saying r doing anything like this. i stated that i witnessed others interacting with my mates and saying this kinda thing but thats about it. as i said i never thought it was anything like that. i hope that anyone involved is sacked and dealt with in the most severe way possible but i am far from anywhere near that category. if i was i wouldnt have started a thread saying how bad this was............................

You have it seriously wrong!! It obviously was a topic of conversation among your mates, so If you and your mates had any morals or values you too should have done something about it. Your mates are just as guilty and should also face dismissal witnessing such behavior yet didn't do anything about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

bazz26 wrote: »
    Seems like he is getting a taste of his own medicine now, its all over facebook.

I can't seem to find anything on facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

YFlyer wrote: »

it was on my newsfeed a few times today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

here it is for you, I know of this guy,
    http://www.sundayworld.com/top-stories/news/snooper-market-workers-slag-off-customers#.Uou9AwcTvk4.facebook

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

oh yeah, may as well post in the gis a job thread for new staff for tesco :)

padma wrote: »
    here it is for you, I know of this guy, and he has a history of bullying from a former senior position he was in, in the past. I'll say no more.

Thanks I seen the article. Can'rt seem to get anything on facebook about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Thanks I seen the article. Can'rt seem to get anything on facebook about it.

all I saw on fb were people sharing the link to the article.

Ok thanks alroley :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Anonimo13

I'm not friends with this guy but I know of him.. Had no idea this was going on in Tesco but it didn't surprise me when I saw the name Ger Clancy as the "ringleader".

cuana wrote: »
    You have it seriously wrong!! It obviously was a topic of conversation among your mates, so If you and your mates had any morals or values you too should have done something about it. Your mates are just as guilty and should also face dismissal witnessing such behavior yet didn't do anything about it.

get off the offensive here buddy. im not involved.

i witnessed people saying stuff to each other. what was i suppose to do? all i could do is just not entertain their pathetic jokes. as for my mates they did the same as i. they had no involvement (when i was around anyway. i have a sick sense of humour but they know i wouldnt mock people)

as i said there was nothing i could do about what i witnessed.

people being pr##ks is unfortunatly not a crime and im sure it is not a sackable offense to make crude jokes while outside work. which is again all i witnessed hence i said i didnt know it was this bad.................

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

i witnessed people saying stuff to each other. what was i suppose to do? all i could do is just not entertain their pathetic jokes. as for my mates they did the same as i. they had no involvement (when i was around anyway. i have a sick sense of humour but they know i wouldnt mock people)

people being pr##ks is unfortunatly not a crime and im sure it is not a sackable offense to make crude jokes while outside work. which is again all i witnessed hence i said i didnt know it was this bad.................

Wrong.

Jesus there's a few holier than thou people in this thread. OP did the right thing in minding his own business. I definitely would have. Why the hell would anyone want to get involved in something like this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

People have a right to go about their business without being harangued or harassed.

I know it's a little different but whenever I see 'celebrity lashes out' I say obviously. The same way that domestic violence goes beyond physical. Assault can take various forms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

I'm sure Tesco will have to fire him, especially now that the story has made national press. His contract must state something about speaking negatively about the company in public. I agree with a previous poster that the victims in this should sue the living daylights out of Tesco and make an example out of this.

It's probably been going on for ages, but fair play to whoever had the balls to finally bring this to light and make it public. Long live the screenshot ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mod Post: Anyone who wishes to harrass another poster, insult another poster, or who even suggests the publishing of private information in this thread will be banned from the forum. No exceptions to this.

Also keep in mind folks any comments or claims you make about an individual you name on here are just as open to legal action as if you said it on the street, so a bit of thought before posting on this please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Feel so sorry for the person with mental health problems, nobody should have to be subjected to that sort of ridicule.

feel sorry for all of the people that where victimized to be honest. i just cant understand it. these people arent exactly teens. hell the guy that was named has a child(so ive been told) how come these people havent grown up enough to realize that you can hurt somebody by doing these things. this is cyber bullying and it is a very serious offense. just thank the heavens that its hasnt been brought to light for the same fatal reason other cyber bullying stories have in recent times. i was talking with someone this morning who thinks this has all been blown out of proportion and that everyone is over reacting. i cant believe anyone would ever think that

In a professional capacity I honestly think your mates who worked there were and are obligated to do something about this. Your friends that worked there may not have entertained such jokes yet allowed the continued abuse of that nature towards customers is shocking. You mentioned it became a topic of conversation out of work thus behaviors within there working environment must have stuck with them enough to discuss it with others outside of work.

I'm truly saddened to hear that such behavior has been tolerated within one's work environment and suggests lack of empathy/respect to the customers and spending in store not to mention colleagues. I completely understand whereby the occasional joke or laugh is had its understandable but it just doesn't sit well with me that someone could abuse, pass remarks, record, take pictures within peoples working environment going unnoticed for 12 months without someone doing anything about it. Your friends may not have seen this yet they could have put a stop to the vulgar nature of remarks said about the customers it may have just put a stop to such behavior before it escalated as it has.

It is in fact a sack-able offensive to be discussing anything in relation to work out of work whether it be passing on information, commenting on-line etc most employees sign a confidentiality agreement written into there contract employment its pretty standard these days.

Anyhow I suppose I'm just so disheartened that someone didn't do something about this sooner. I for one couldn't "mind my own business" I just couldn't put up with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Unfortunately, nothing has changed, even from the old days. This same thing went on before, but in a box scenario, as in... idiots like this would just slag-off folk between themselves. but now, they have technology, and we all know what happens when brain-dead idiots have access to technology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mod Post: Thread is closed. If posters are unable to adhere to pretty basic requests regarding what can legally be said on an internet forum, then no discussion at all will be allowed on the topic.

Anyone who resumes this discussion on a new thread in this forum or on an existing thread in this forum gets a break from the forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement