Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Catholic church about to canonise a mass murderer

• 20-11-2013 12:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭

I was reading my Gruaniad (yes, I am a left wing pinko. Why do you ask?;))this morning, and I saw the following article by George Monbiot, about the imminent canonisation of Junípero Serra, whose use of internment camps, forced imprisonment and forced labour at feeding levels below that of survival lead directly to the deaths of a third of the then Native population of California, and a vast cultural genocide. It actually reminds me of the actions of another catholic.

At first I was shocked and outraged at this behaviour by Pope Francis, but after a while I thought "how appropriate", both for him and the church he leads. Francis is little more than a more-softly spoken version of Benedict with better PR, and the honouring of genocidal maniacs is what the catholic church should be all about, seeing as it breeds so many of them.

PS to the mods, I thought to put this in Hazards of Belief, but I think it is important enough to highlight with its own thread. I won't mind though if you decide merging is better.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I have long suspected that sainthood is really just a "Who is the Biggest ****ing Dick" competition.

Some day in the distant future, I just bet they'll canonise Hitler as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Why do people get their knickers in a twist over things like this? Its a meaningless title in a meaningless orgaization. Leave 'em to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Why do people get their knickers in a twist over things like this? Its a meaningless title in a meaningless orgaization. Leave 'em to it.

Because it is promoting mass murder as an acceptable way of life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It's not meaningless to the average man on the street. Most people are under the impression that people are made saints because of their good work and care for other people when it is, in fact, because of their good work in spreading Catholicism and care for spreading Catholicism and protecting the RCC. Both of which this mass-murdering scumbag seems to have been good at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Because it is promoting mass murder as an acceptable way of life.

Its alright though cause it frowns on condoms so there will be plenty of people to replace those that have been murdered. You just gotta but into the whole system here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,865 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

A global organisation wants to hold that guy up as an example of one of the best examples of humanity. What's the problem with people expressing their dismay that someone with such terrible things on their CV should be honoured in such a way?

If you can read this, you're too close!

koth wrote: »
    A global organisation wants to hold that guy up as an example of one of the best examples of humanity. What's the problem with people expressing their dismay that someone with such terrible things on their CV should be honoured in such a way?

I see what your saying but I dont get how its an "honor" I personally couldnt give a toss if someone becomes a saint

• Moderators Posts: 51,865 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

I see what your saying but I dont get how its an "honor" I personally couldnt give a toss if someone becomes a saint
    I'm the same but you can't ignore the symbolism and the message it sends to the faithful.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't think blaming francis personally for this is potentially completely accurate - it sounds like the wheels in motion were set on this long before he became pope; so the proposal for the canonisation may not be his fault. but it will be interesting to see how or if he reacts to it.

i don't think blaming francis personally for this is potentially completely accurate - it sounds like the wheels in motion were set on this long before he became pope; so the proposal for the canonisation may not be his fault. but it will be interesting to see how or if he reacts to it.

Can he stop it? I would imagine so. Does he have the balls? Maybe not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

I hear they actually check before you become pope whether or not you have balls. Unless you're talking about spiritual balls or metaphorical balls, in which case I suspect you may be correct.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

god knows what power structures there exist in the church. maybe he can't in a technical sense, in the way that obama can't order congressmen how to vote. but then obama is not infallible...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I find this highly ironic coming from someone who can't help but get their knickers in a twist over pretty much everything said on this forum ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,569 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I hear they actually check before you become pope whether or not you have balls

There is a disputed story/myth that this is the case, and because of a supposed female pope:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Joan
    The sede stercoraria, the throne with a hole in the seat, now at St. John Lateran (the formal residence of the popes and center of Catholicism), is to be considered. This and other toilet-like chairs were used in the consecration of Pope Pascal II in 1099 (Boureau 1988). In fact, one is still in the Vatican Museums, another at the Musée du Louvre. The reason for the configuration of the chair is disputed. It has been speculated that they originally were Roman bidets or imperial birthing stools, which because of their age and imperial links were used in ceremonies by Popes intent on highlighting their own imperial claims (as they did also with their Latin title, Pontifex Maximus).[2]

Alain Boureau (Boureau 1988:23) quotes the humanist Jacopo d'Angelo de Scarparia, who visited Rome in 1406 for the enthronement of Gregory XII. The pope sat briefly on two "pierced chairs" at the Lateran: "... the vulgar tell the insane fable that he is touched to verify that he is indeed a man", a sign that this corollary of the Pope Joan legend was still current in the Roman street.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

I can see why the Vatican like him

755px-Serra_havana.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Well, in fairness, that kid statue is hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Well, in fairness, that kid statue is hot.

From the looks of it he's a castrato

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

wikipedia wrote:
    Serra's own views are documented. In 1780, Serra wrote: "that spiritual fathers should punish their sons, the Indians, with blows appears to be as old as the conquest of the Americas; so general in fact that the saints do not seem to be any exception to the rule."
    Maybe he anticipated his own sainthood. He certainly knew he had complete control and power over those indians, and as we all know,
    absolute power corrupts absolutely.
    From my limited reading up on them in the past, I understand most of the native american indians in that region were peaceful family oriented people, living in very ancient pueblo communities (towns and villages of adobe mud houses) which made them easier prey than the more warlike and nomadic indians of the plains further north.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,569 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

recedite wrote: »
    (towns and villages of adobe mud houses) which made them easier prey than the more warlike and nomadic indians of the plains further north.

Adobe lacking in security. Nothing new there.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

From the looks of it he's a castrato

I think that's a loincloth. But he certainly doesn't look too happy to be there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement