Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WordPress CMS add to my own site?

• 20-11-2013 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all,

I'm a modestly great web designer, but haven't a clue about development. Can I'm building a newsletter type site hosting it with blacknight.

I want to have it so that contributors to my newsletter can update and add articles to it whenever they like. They question I have is, I have designed a nice layout and a layout for all the pages that's needed, login and admin etc.

How can I add wordpress to this or is that the best way to go?

Thanks,
    James

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I think that WordPress is a good way to go - as a big fan of WordPress I am biased.

You can make the contributors Authors and their articles will need the approval of Editors (or Administrators) before they are published. There are plugins to modify the workflow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 nameisme

Thanks for your reply. Can you edit themes to suit your needs? Is there a way that they can just be published without being approved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

nameisme wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. Can you edit themes to suit your needs? Is there a way that they can just be published without being approved?
    yes there is. just remember if it is on your site you are legally responsible for it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

You can create your own WordPress themes, there's a load of theme frameworks to get you started if you're that way inclined.

Thanks guys, this is definitely looking promising for me. Anyone know a theme like what the journal uses? I like the layout. Thanks again

• Advertisement

Can you edit themes to suit your needs?
    Yes. It is best to make a 'child theme' where you can tweak some of the features of the parent theme that you are using.
    You can buy a magazine theme as a starting point.
    Is there a way that they can just be published without being approved?
    Yes - make the contributors "Editors".

Thanks, I was looking for a more basic, header-content-right column-footer display.
    If I make them authors it seems to work better for contributing articles.

If I make them authors it seems to work better for contributing articles.
    As you go on you some authors will prove themselves and you can promote them to Editors.

Advertisement