Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bayonet to E27 Fittings

Options
  • 20-11-2013 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭

Folks, bear with me as I know little about these things but is it easy/inexpensive to have your lighting fixtures changed from bayonet to E27? All our lamps are E27 but the fixtures are bayonet.

Also, this is a really stupid one perhaps but when I was over in Poland last I picked up some light switches as they have an LED that's light up while the switch is off (great for people looking for the lights witch in the middle of the night). Would these be compatible do you think with our fittings/wiring and if so, would an electrician charge much to change them over?

Many thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

You can get bc to es convertors, just stick em in then screw your es in after.three or four euro last time I checked

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

kramer1 wrote: »
    You can get bc to es convertors, just stick em in then screw your es in after.three or four euro last time I checked

I had seen them alright but I was curious if it would be safer/better to have an electrician change the actual sockets over?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

bc-es adaptor cost about 3.50, they are perfectly safe or they wouldnt be allowed sell them, i think they are rated at 60 watt max (incandesant)

We have similar locator switches here, they do not require a neutral, but your led version might. you need to check that and see if there is a neutral available at the current switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jjwhitty

bc-es adaptor cost about 3.50, they are perfectly safe or they wouldnt be allowed sell them, i think they are rated at 60 watt max (incandesant)

We have similar locator switches here, they do not require a neutral, but your led version might. you need to check that and see if there is a neutral available at the current switch.

this person is not looking for a switch....he needs a bulb adaptor...all light fittings in ireland have a live and nuetral if they are plastic fittings, or they wont burn a bulb. this person must mean an earth, which is not needed unless there is a brass fitting bulb holder, or lamp has metal body that can be touched when bulb is in place, not counting the connection, this has to be metal....if the bulb or appliance is all plastic or glass with no metal that can be touched when turned on then it,s ok... you can get bayonette to e27 adaptors easily,no need for electrician,, they just twist in like a bulb, all the best....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Where can you get bayonette to screw in adaptors, looked in a good few hardware shops and none had them?
    I've screw in bulbs and bayonette fittings.

• Advertisement

jjwhitty wrote: »
    this person is not looking for a switch....he needs a bulb adaptor...all light fittings in ireland have a live and nuetral if they are plastic fittings, or they wont burn a bulb. this person must mean an earth, which is not needed unless there is a brass fitting bulb holder, or lamp has metal body that can be touched when bulb is in place, not counting the connection, this has to be metal....if the bulb or appliance is all plastic or glass with no metal that can be touched when turned on then it,s ok... you can get bayonette to e27 adaptors easily,no need for electrician,, they just twist in like a bulb, all the best....

what on earth are you on about. (confused.com)
    i told the op how much the es to bc adaptor is ad that they are widely available.
    secondly the op has a switch with an integrated led locator, which is illuminated while the switch is off, to allow it to be found in the dark.
    what i am refering to is a plate that is mounted behind a standard switch that does this very function, it DOES NOT require an neutral or an earth.

Where can you get bayonette to screw in adaptors, looked in a good few hardware shops and none had them?
    I've screw in bulbs and bayonette fittings.

Any electrical wholesaler will be able to tell to point you in the right direction.
    if you pm me your general area i can advise you where to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jjwhitty

what on earth are you on about. (confused.com)
    i told the op how much the es to bc adaptor is ad that they are widely available.
    secondly the op has a switch with an integrated led locator, which is illuminated while the switch is off, to allow it to be found in the dark.
    what i am refering to is a plate that is mounted behind a standard switch that does this very function, it DOES NOT require an neutral or an earth.

pay full attention.dooooooo , this is part of the persons problem as listed.(confused.com doooooo) he quotes (Folks, bear with me as I know little about these things but is it easy/inexpensive to have your lighting fixtures changed from bayonet to E27? All our lamps are E27 but the fixtures are bayonet.) (haha)

Advertisement