Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No insurance car crash

Options
  • 20-11-2013 4:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi there,

Last December I was involved in a 3 car crash. Unfortunately, unaware to me at the time, my insurance had lapsed. I was the last one in so all compensation came down to me. At the time of the crash I was a provisional license holder and there was no fully licensed driver in the car with me. I now have my full Irish license. The case comes up this December so I must try get together a decent defense case as to why the insurance was not paid - Ultimately, I was dependent on my parents to pay it and as they separated a while before the accident neither realised which one of them was meant to be paying for it. Had I of known this was the case, its needless to say I would not have been any where near the car until the insurance was fully paid.

Due to the nature of the crash I am also up for careless driving. Speaking to my solicitor I was advised to plead guilty to the careless driving conviction in order to obtain a more lenient outcome in relation to the insurance charge.

There was also no tax or NCT on the car at the time. Therefore, the charges against me on the day of court will be no tax, no NCT, no insurance, failure to produce insurance, careless driving and driving unaccompanied.

I understand the consequences will more than likely be strict but I would much appreciate some advice on it all.

Thankfully, no one was in anyway injured during the crash, much to my relief.

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

ryanrcpc wrote: »
    Hi there,

Last December I was involved in a 3 car crash. Unfortunately, unaware to me at the time, my insurance had lapsed. I was the last one in so all compensation came down to me. At the time of the crash I was a provisional license holder and there was no fully licensed driver in the car with me. I now have my full Irish license. The case comes up this December so I must try get together a decent defense case as to why the insurance was not paid - Ultimately, I was dependent on my parents to pay it and as they separated a while before the accident neither realised which one of them was meant to be paying for it. Had I of known this was the case, its needless to say I would not have been any where near the car until the insurance was fully paid.

Due to the nature of the crash I am also up for careless driving. Speaking to my solicitor I was advised to plead guilty to the careless driving conviction in order to obtain a more lenient outcome in relation to the insurance charge.

There was also no tax or NCT on the car at the time. Therefore, the charges against me on the day of court will be no tax, no NCT, no insurance, failure to produce insurance, careless driving and driving unaccompanied.

I understand the consequences will more than likely be strict but I would much appreciate some advice on it all.

Thankfully, no one was in anyway injured during the crash, much to my relief.

Thank you!

Are you serious? You brought a car with no insurance, tax or nct on the road with a provisional licence while unaccompanied?! It sounds like a bad joke.

Regardless of the parents not paying your insurance and the miscommunication the buck stops with you as it's your responsibility as the driver.

You shouldn't of been on the road in the first place unaccompanied.

And you shouldn't of been on the road with no tax or nct.

It's people like you drive our premiums up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

This is why my, and others insurance is going through the roof. No sympathy from me. They will throw the book at you that's for sure. It was up to you to make sure you got insured as you are the driver. You will get hit with a major fine for everything and more than likely a long-term ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

The case comes up this December so I must try get together a decent defense case as to why the insurance was not paid - Ultimately, I was dependent on my parents to pay it

That is your only defense which will not wash with the judge, as the driver you are the one who is responsible for ensuring that your tax nct and insurance is in date ..... also telling the judge you didn't know the insurance was out when all your documents were not compliant ie tax, nct and given the fact that you were driving unaccompanied, the judge ain't no dope he is not going to allow you to use that excuse. Try saying this "Im sorry, i did the wrong thing"

With regard to the no tax the maximum fine that can be imposed is E100, i got cough for that years ago.

If you get convicted of driving unaccompanied you can be fined up to €2,000 and/or three months’ imprisonment.

If you hadn't got you L's displayed well thats another fine up to €2,000 and/or three months’ imprisonment.

No insurance: 5 penalty points and a fine of up to €2,500 and/or a possible term of imprisonment

Careless driving: 5 penalty points and a fine of up to €1,500 and/or a possible term of imprisonment

Using a vehicle without a certificate of roadworthiness 5 penalty points and a court fine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Even if your insurance was paid, It would probably be void as you were driving on a provisional without a fully licensed driver.

I would think you are looking at a hefty fine, ban and possible jail term, but that may be suspended if this was a first offence. And providing that your tax, nct was only just out of date. If the car hasnt been taxed in a while, then it will be very hard to offer any defense.

But be prepared for many posts condemning you over this. And i have to say they are right to do so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

No wonder your up at 3am writing a thread on boards . I don't think I'd sleep knowing this was coming. Like others I have no sympathy for you, we're struggling big time in our house and I've just paid a nearly 700 quid car tax on my car just to get me to work .

I think the judge is going to look at all this and think , I'm going to make a example of this, best thing you you to do is put on a good suit, have a shave, be honest and very apologetic and make sure you come across well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

I think the judge is going to look at all this and think , I'm going to make a example of this

You don't have access to the judge's thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Hopefully you will get a ban. Not sue what good posting on boards is going to do. Nor do I think you will get any sympathy here. Let your solicitor worry about your defense instead of asking for suggestions online. He has already advised you how to plead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,277 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I'm a lite surprised that you went ahead and did a test with this hanging over you. It will be interesting to see what happens; please do let us know.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

The OP has closed his account so I'm locking this. Also, there's the charter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement