Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing a carpet

Options
  • 20-11-2013 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    I have been living in a rented place for 5 years. There is a light coloured carpet, which gets quiet dirty due to its colour. I have gotten this carpet professionally cleaned each year at my expense as I like to live in a clean place. Recently, during a property inspection, I said to the agency that represents the landlord that I would like to replace the carpet with either laminate or lino. This is both due to the fact of having to clean it each year and also the carpet is now in a state of bad repair. The last time a professional cleaner cleaned it, he said that it needs to be replaced. Yesterday, the agency told me that the landlord does not want to replace the carpet. Am I within my rights to go ahead and replace the carpet anyway? Maybe deduct the cost from the rent? I will do the work myself, so I will just be charging for the materials.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

You can't make a fundamental change to the property such as replacing a carpet with lino/laminate without the approval of the landlord.

How bad is the carpet? If it's in a very bad state (ie threadbare) then it would need to be replaced, but it's up to the landlord to get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

As djimi said you can't alter the property without the landlords permission. Also keep in mind that if you are in an apt, wooden floors may not be permitted by the management company.
    Where is the carpet that it is getting so dirty? I have light coloured carpets in two of my rooms for five years now and they have never gotten so dirty that they require a professional deep clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭markiemark2005

Thats guys. Its the living room that gets quiet dirty. Basically, the edges are all frayed also and becoming threadbare in a lot of places.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Thats guys. Its the living room that gets quiet dirty. Basically, the edges are all frayed also and becoming threadbare in a lot of places.

The alternative is maybe buying some large rugs, least you can take them with you when you move on.

The alternative is maybe buying some large rugs, least you can take them with you when you move on.

Good idea.....cheers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Has the landlord seen the carpet? Maybe invite them over to inspect it and they might change their mind about it needing to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Lino in the living room? No wonder they said no. Why not take your shoes off in the house.

djimi wrote: »
    Has the landlord seen the carpet? Maybe invite them over to inspect it and they might change their mind about it needing to be replaced.

He has not seen it yet.

Potatoeman wrote: »
    Lino in the living room? No wonder they said no. Why not take your shoes off in the house.

Plenty of good lino out there these days, would not be going for the 70's-80's cheap tat.

Re: shoes, yes, I do that. However its an old building and for some reason seems a bit dusty and some some reason is very good at accumulating bits of dirt. I think the fraying is caused due to slight dampness.

Advertisement