Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone got links for free versions of Windows 98?

• 20-11-2013 10:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

Basically looking to install Windows 98 and maybe Ubuntu on Oracle VM VirtualBox (on a Windows 7 laptop) but I had a look through a few sites last night and could not find exactly what I was looking for in terms of Windows 98 boot files / ISO images.

I basically want to download as minimal files as possible and burn them onto a CD-R so that I have a ready-to-go Windows 98 operating system disc which I can then load onto VirtualBox. I have my own reasons for wanting to do this:rolleyes:

If anyone has attempted this successfully or knows of any decent links I can use (along with working activation keys) I would really appreciate your advice:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭homingbird

If windows 7 is anygood to you here a link to pcworld were they show you what to do & give you links to win7 :
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/248995/how_to_install_windows_7_without_the_disc.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

You wont get Windows free anywhere unless youre a student. For students they can get an msdn account or use the dreamspark program to get a few licences.

EDIT. I read win8 instead of windows 98.
    Still a grey area.

If youre looking to run some old games, there are usually better alternatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭theedude27

Gotham wrote: »
    You wont get Windows free anywhere unless youre a student. For students they can get an msdn account or use the dreamspark program to get a few licences.

EDIT. I read win8 instead of windows 98.
    Still a grey area.

If youre looking to run some old games, there are usually better alternatives.

I have a personal interest in older operating systems. I am a part-time computer science student so maybe i'll sign up for an msdn account or the dreamspark program as you mention. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I have a genuine W98 CD I could sell you

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You'll need to buy a second hand copy of it if you want it,
    Boards.ie is not the place to look for sources for pirated software

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement