Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

order placed and lost now showed

Options
  • 20-11-2013 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

So I made an order from a German company (4 items) in October. The shipment was declared lost by the courier company 10 days later. i signed a doc with shipper to confirm I hadn't received the order. They then resent it. Yet again 10 days later the shipment was declared lost by the courier company. Yet again I signed a doc to say that I had not received the order and yet again it was resent...

I asked the courier company to do a manual search, they did it and confirmed both shipments lost, both to myself and shipper.

So now after much delays and incorrect routing on the third shipment (10 days for a 2 day deliv), I after calling multiple branches myself, located my shipment in Ireland in one of the courier companies depots. But the consignment contains 11 items!!! On a side note they have no room in van for them so I have to go collect them...

So my question is
    1. Should I collect the 11 items and see what happens?
    2. Should I just collect the 4 and tell them I dont want the rest?

Im thinking that they have the entire 11 listed as one consignment. not 3 separate consignments. Also since the courier company declared them irrecoverable, will they not have compensated the shipper already so they aren't losing out (they are a big company).

thanks..BTW the cost per item is €200 so this is not cheap...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

My arguement on that one is that they have been paid to deliver to an address (your address) so that is what you expect of them. Not your problem they cannot fit it in a van.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 barnabyjones

well to be honest not too worried about the delivery/collection aspect...Its more should i take the 11 or just take 4. As I said they are all showing under the one shipment number (the latest one)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

It would be fraud to accept the 11 and keep them unless you contacted the retailer, informed them of the situation and they agreed you could keep them.

The right thing to do would be accept what you paid for [and get courier to deliver that] and tell the courier company to return the rest.

well it wouldn't be actual fraud now to be honest. The declarations clearly say "I have not received the objects" signed and dated 2 and 3 weeks ago. I didn't and wasn't asked to declare for future happenings. So this was completely true at the time.

This shipment is 4 items, the courier company has for some reason rolled the rest into this one.

The reason I ask is that since the courier company has already declared these items irrecoverable, will they not just keep them and sell them off themselves as abandoned at some stage? So should this not be my benefit instead :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭blade1

What would happen if you were out when they called and let's say,a relative signed for the 11 items not knowing you were only meant to get 4.

• Advertisement

well it wouldn't be actual fraud now to be honest. The declarations clearly say "I have not received the objects" signed and dated 2 and 3 weeks ago. I didn't and wasn't asked to declare for future happenings. So this was completely true at the time.

This shipment is 4 items, the courier company has for some reason rolled the rest into this one.

The reason I ask is that since the courier company has already declared these items irrecoverable, will they not just keep them and sell them off themselves as abandoned at some stage? So should this not be my benefit instead :P

It all depends on who owns the goods. If the courier's insurance company paid the retailer, then the insurance company owns the products. Who ever owns the goods can do what they like with them. That owner certainly isn't you.

It's still a legal issue if you purposefully accept them, knowing that they don't belong to you.

We don't have a larceny law anymore. I'm not a legal expert, I don't know if any other crime took over from larceny.

its an interesting one...prob better in legal forum i guess... put it this way the 11 items would be of no use to me. I only could use or need 4 so it would be purely selling them if i did accept them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I would suggest accepting them, and writing to inform the company you ordered from that you have them and asking how they would like you to proceed. The correct thing to do would be to return them, but I wouldn't trust the courier company to do that.

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I would suggest accepting them, and writing to inform the company you ordered from that you have them and asking how they would like you to proceed. The correct thing to do would be to return them, but I wouldn't trust the courier company to do that.

If the retailer was compensated by courier company [or their insurer], then it's not a problem.

Either way, it's not the ops responsibility to return the remaining 7 items. It's not his responsibility to trust or not trust the courier. It's nothing to do with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

RangeR wrote: »
    If the retailer was compensated by courier company [or their insurer], then it's not a problem.

Either way, it's not the ops responsibility to return the remaining 7 items. It's not his responsibility to trust or not trust the courier. It's nothing to do with him.

If.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I ordered a small item from Amazon recently and the tracking stated that it was refused delivery by customer. What actually happened was that UPS refused to wait to make the delivery and drove off. I informed Amazon who promptly refunded me. End of story, or so I thought.

3 days later the item arrived (in its original packaging dated the original despatch date). I checked the tracking on Amazon and it still stated "Returned to seller".

As far as I am concerned it was UPS's issue. They refused to make some delivery, and mixed up packages. Its not my problem to resolve. No one has come back to ask me if I received the item.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

On a side note they have no room in van for them so I have to go collect them...

Thats the biggest load of crap I've ever heard a courier come out with. Make them deliver the damn thing, don't let them force you to collect the items!

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    If.

But the "if" is irrelevant. It's between the courier company and the retailer. I feel we are going around in circles, while looking for a way for the OP to keep all items :(

RangeR wrote: »
    But the "if" is irrelevant. It's between the courier company and the retailer. I feel we are going around in circles, while looking for a way for the OP to keep all items :(

im not saying i want to keep them. No big advantage to me and a lot of hassle if i do, so not really interested in getting into the whole situation.

However, what i am saying is if they are already "irrecoverable" and they are including them in my one shipment. If I leave them ie tell them I don't want the rest of my shipment, are they not going to be just sold by the courier company as abandoned (This is one of the biggest courier companies in Europe). the consignment is mine. They are all included in the one consignment so effectively I am saying I only want part of it.

I think I will just see what they say tomorrow. Sure being an Irish office will prob say "shur you might as well take them :P"

Thats the biggest load of crap I've ever heard a courier come out with. Make them deliver the damn thing, don't let them force you to collect the items!

yeh i was surprised too....but they said due to Christmas it would take a while to be able to do it...TBH picking them up isn't a HUGE inconvenience if father has his van available :P

Advertisement