Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple tv

• 20-11-2013 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi,

I just got the apple tv gizmo delivered. As a fairly green middle-aged man in this field, I hadn't anticipated any tech hurdles. It turns out I need a HDMI cable which it seems has the same connection at both ends? Should I buy this online on ebay etc? Around 20 euro?

Any directions would be great.
    Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭La Haine

You could probably pick one up in Tesco's for a lot less and have it today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Scobyone wrote: »
    Hi,

I just got the apple tv gizmo delivered. As a fairly green middle-aged man in this field, I hadn't anticipated any tech hurdles. It turns out I need a HDMI cable which it seems has the same connection at both ends? Should I buy this online on ebay etc? Around 20 euro?

Many thanks

Yes you need one and yes it's the same connection on both sides. You obviously need a TV with an available HDMI connection as well.

It's fairly easy have that. Typing in the setup information is a pain but you only have to do it once.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

No no no no :)

HDMI cable is only a few euros, you can buy locally for much cheaper, dont be codded by gold plated hdmi leads for $$$

http://www.adverts.ie/cables/brand-new-hdmi-cable/3868859

here's one for 3.50

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Hi,

Many thanks

Any HDMI cable will work, yes. And don't fall for any marketing bull a €3/5 cable is as good as a €50 one as HDMI is a digital format. Some cables may support different versions of HDMI, but a standard one will do the job for you fine

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Hi,

Many thanks

€2 each in any of the €2 euro stores....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Scobyone

Feel like a bit of an eejit now!
    Thanks to all who posted.
    New to this boards craic
    Lovin it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,909 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Hi,

Many thanks

You can get one in Dealz for €1.49, does the same job as the €20 ones do. Bought a Bush one for €15 and it stopped working after 6 months. Dealz one working with 12 months now.

EDIT: Shouldn't have finished reading after first post :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

The HDMI's seem to be plentiful available in the Dealz and 2Euro shops nowadays, I remember a few months back I couldn't find one anywhere.

Also to note if you have an iPhone you can setup your Apple TV pretty seamlessly. All you need to do is tap it on top of your Apple TV. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Doodah7

DubDJ wrote: »
    Also to note if you have an iPhone you can setup your Apple TV pretty seamlessly. All you need to do is tap it on top of your Apple TV. :D

Did this very thing last night. Popped the phone onto the Apple TV for a couple of seconds, put in my AppleID password when asked, OK'd two prompts and it set it up!!!

The only flaw was that I have a dual-band router and an iPhone 4S which only works on the 2.4ghz band, so it connected the Apple TV to this network rather than the 5ghz one. I had to switch it over manually.

But as a way of setting up a new device...fantastic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I _so_ want to buy a new apple tv just so I can do that. I do need to update my living room one tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

DubDJ wrote: »
    The HDMI's seem to be plentiful available in the Dealz and 2Euro shops nowadays, I remember a few months back I couldn't find one anywhere.

thats just brilliant but its not even in the manual.
    http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1607/en_US/apple_tv_3rd_gen_setup.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

It probably wouldn't be, it's only a new-ish feature that was added as part of a software update. So they probably haven't updated the manuals to let people know.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Scobyone

Thanks to one and all for the knowledgeable advice. For the record, I bought the cable in the 2euro shop for 1.50. Delighted with myself for asking for pointers here. And I used the phone for setting up. Smooth operation.
    Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭djdunny

OP can I just offer another piece of unrelated advice. If you have an iphone or ipad I would recommend buying an app called rowmote pro. so much easier to use that the ATV remote. And a godsend when trying to input text.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement