Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sydney to Melbourne

Options
  • 20-11-2013 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

Hi guys , need some help, im in Sydney at the moment and am planning to travel to Melbourne next week. What is the best and cheapest method to get there, ive found a bus company Firefly , has anyone travelled with them before, it costs 60 to travel with them which is by far the cheapest ive found. Would rather the bus over a flight due to all the crap I have

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

http://www.imoova.com/imoova/relocations

Rental relocations. They got hired 1 way and they need to go back to their original location so they rent them out for free/cheap.

They have one 3 birth hi top van for $1 a day rental, so you could even get 2 others to go with you with a gumtree ad and hit them up for fuel costs to make it even cheaper. It's about a 12-14 hour drive to Melbourne so if you had to pull over at least you can sleep in this one. It's available form 24th Nov and you have to drop it off by the 26th. Could work out perfect. They can take a day or two to get back to you so get onto it ASAP.

You can almost travel the whole country using rental relocations and never have to buy a vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

http://www.imoova.com/imoova/relocations/view/?id=105853

Add above does this include petrol for 1020km?

Is it possible to setup email notifications going from certain spots?

This would be so handy and cheap..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I done this from Sydney to Melbourne with some friends. Got it from Apollo. Big Ford transit. Cost me three dollars plus fuel. Slept in a car park overnight somewhere. Only thing is, find out where the drop off is. Ours was beside the airport so allow for a taxi into Melbourne

Fol20 wrote: »
    http://www.imoova.com/imoova/relocations/view/?id=105853

Add above does this include petrol for 1020km?

Is it possible to setup email notifications going from certain spots?

This would be so handy and cheap..

Sometimes they give you a fuel allowance if they need to give somebody an incentive to do the trip. Mostly you pay for your own fuel (come on....you're getting an almost free vehicle rental already!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Oh i know its a great deal.. I know ill make use of it when i go there. I was just wondering. What about insurance. Is that expensive over there?

• Advertisement

Insurance should be all covered. You do have to leave a deposit of $1000 or something though, so I guess thats your excess if you damage the car.
    Like I said, put an ad on gumtree, get a few backpackers that want to make the trip and hit them up for $50 each for fuel. It's a hi top van, probably petrol so you'll be getting about 12L/100km fuel economy at best. That equates to about 110L of petrol at approx $1.50 a litre, its about $160 in fuel give or take $10.

It's only an 9 hour drive if you go inland or about 12 hours down the coast. Depends how fast and how cheaply you want to get there.

Advertisement